Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Netflix Watch Instantly Gems

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Pap, Feb 24, 2010.

1. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Obliterated

Started out decent with some over the top scenes but then falls off quickly after Ep 3 and then turns into a pretty bad action series through the rest of the 8 episodes. I checked the wiki page and the first two eps were written by the shows creators and then handed off to several different writing teams who quickly screwed the pooch.

However, just watch the last half of first episode to see Shelley Hennig's redonk ass. I'm a lower back dimples guy and hers are great.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Leave the World Behind

Apocalypse movie where you don't know why things are collapsing until the end. Pretty good cast (Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, etc.) and was made by the same guy who made Mr. Robot. It probably would have been better as a miniseries. I think towards the end the creators realized there wasn't enough time to flesh out the world building and we end up getting told exactly what is happening after spending 2 hours trying to figure it out.

When the audience finally gets to understand that its a (possible) military-led coup trying to overthrow the US government, the movie basically ends. It would have been a lot better if we got more of that, how advanced in technology could eventually be our weakness and maybe less melodrama between the main characters. Plus, I'm all for misdirection. But that card is pulled so much in the movie it kind of depletes the actual plot of what is going on. Overall, it was... fine. I wouldn't watch it again. It could have been a lot better.

6/10. Thanks Obama.

(The Obama's produced it).

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Confess, Fletch

John Hamm has been trying to find his comedy self since the end of Mad Men, and this is where he may have found his mark— not as silly or main-character-driven as the Chevy Chase films, this soft reboot is still funny and has good pacing. Hamm is perfect casting for the novel character, the supporting cast is great but the “mystery” the film is based around is kind of predictable. In other words, good dialogue, meh writing.

Comedies are far and few now, and it’s hard to find ones that aren’t STILL infested with the Seth Rogan Effect, this one barely has it. Some Mad Men stunt casting also gives this movie its best character.

7.5/10

4. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am trying to figure out if the whole

”does the Black guy really own the house” thing was supposed to be a mystery for the audience. I felt it was. But of course he is the owner. It is a netflix show produced by Obama. You think the black guy wouldn’t be on the up and up? Should have been race swapped for extra tension.

5. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's the same plot point in the original book, except
    It's not his daughter, it's his wife. The daughter is somewhere in Chicago with the grandkids. White woman has the same suspicions re: can a Black man really own a house like this?

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Anyone watch Rebel Moon yet? I'm about half way through and not sure why I'm still watching... it's like a weird mixup of Star Wars, The Magnificent Seven (space edition), Neverending Story, Tank Girl, and Farscape.

And maybe a splash of Riddick thrown in.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After you wrote you weren't sure why you were still watching, you seemed to go on and answer your own question with machine gun awesome fire.

8. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched it the other day an give it a solid "meh"

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah, and included none of the good qualities that made those interesting.

Snyder always seems to have a "better cut" waiting in the wings. At some people that makes him a shitty editor.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... it was like some weirdly disjointed montage... every now and then you'd watch it and then go "oh... this scene reminds me of NeverEnding Story...", while the dude breaks the flying cat bird thing. That added zero to the story.

And just stupid scenarios every now and then... like that same "flying catbird" stuff... sure... take the chance of being chained up and entered into slavery for life by betting on dude playing cowboy with a flying catbird.

And crazy slo-mo scenes everywhere... I found myself fast forwarding some of them because they were just too "oh, they did this in 300, so let's do a Roman Space Officer slo-mo fight scene for 3 minutes..."

I'm all for suspension of disbelief in things like this, but this was asking a bit much in a bunch of scenes.

There were parts that were entertaining, and I'll probably end up watching Part 2, but it's barely a 5/10 at this point.

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But dude, she *asked* him if he could ride it and he said yes. That's a lock if I've ever heard one.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fair point. And he wasn’t wearing a shirt, so there’s that.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Went 4 episodes deep into season 1 of Slow Horses.

Really enjoying the show, even though it’s hard to follow the audio in some places. Partly due to the accent, partly due to the audio quality, partly due to the unfamiliar terms.

Very slow burn of a start, but really enjoying it.

Gary Oldman is knocking it out of the park. I can sense how his character will progress, and am looking forward to it.

14. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

We've basically stopped watching anything without subtitles.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's so Mainland™

16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reptile (2023) - Benicio del Toro, Justin Timberlake, Alicia Silverstone

Pretty standard-fare whodunnit murder mystery (I figured out the twist about halfway through).

I only mention it for this reason: Alicia Silverstone has still got it goin' on; she's a bonafide thicc MILF now, and I'd argue that she looks better now than she did in the '90s.

#276 dixiebandit69, Jan 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah, we've had the subtitles on since season 1. British accents are hard for me to understand sometimes. Welsh accents are even worse. My only other complaint is hacker Ho being able to breach any system anywhere in a matter of seconds. That takes some serious suspension of disbelief.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Don’t get me started. I had to calm myself during that stuff. Small price to pay for otherwise fantastic writing.

19. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She's really grown into herself, so much hotter than in Clueless. But is she still pre-chewing her kid's food?

20. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, I’ve gotten this far, and it was well worth it. I can stop watching this show now.