Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

NCAA Basketball 09/10

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Diablo, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Texas once again came out strong and showed why they are one of the top teams in the nation by dismantling Michigan St. Damion James led the way with another double-double and the 'Horns heralded freshman class chipped in a combined 30 points, including some big baskets by Jordan Hamilton and J'Covan Brown, who is providing the type of swagger that this Texas team feeds off. Dolgus Balbay helped provide tremendous defensive pressure on the perimeter that helped frustrate the Spartans. Texas is beginning to round into top form and Coach Barnes is doing a great job managing minutes. If Texas continues to play to their potential, then there is no telling how far this team can go.

(and the UT homer in me wants to yell, "HOLY FUCK I have never seen a team this deep and versatile in a long, long time and Final Four here we come!!" but I'll hold back. For now.)

2. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Goddamn. I thought we had you guys from about 5 min into the game after we started to score. We got up by 7 at one point and held on to the lead until about 7-8 min left in the game when we you guys stole it twice in a row at the same fucking spot on the court and turned momentum your way. That Damien Jones is a beast; he's gonna go far. Before yesterdays game I was highly skeptical about you guys being #2 because of your cakewalk schedule so far...UC irvine, west carolina, long beach state, pan-american, and you have gardner-webb and a&m corpus coming up...jebus, how did you get such easy freaking games? But meh, you beat us and UNC, so whatever. It was a good game, Nice job, we'll see you in March.

3. carl24

carl24
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Edit: I am a Uconn fan

Every team has easy games, tune up games. And Uconn, out of all the teams in the Top 25, seems to be struggling with them the most.

So as a fan I need to be realistic, they don't seem capable of playing a full 40 minutes. Not yet, but the potential is there. The Kentucky game showed that, despite the early 12-0 hole they faced.

Besides the 35 or so minutes of good play against Kentucky, this season has 2006-07 (part two) written all over it. Escape a bunch of cupcakes early in the season, earn a Pre Big East ranking that is a little too high (11 in 06, 10 this season) and drop the opening BE game before slowly diving out of the Top 25 and tourney contention. Just like 06, they lost to an unranked, but under rated team to open the BE season. I sense the same lack of passion as 2006-07 team and really think Uconn is simply over rated this year. If Uconn loses to Michigan on January 17th (like they did to LSU January 6, 2007 after a hand full of BE games) I will start to feel really bad about their prospects.

They can still salvage the season, of course, still so early. But a loss in the next game, and a 0-2 hole in the BE is too much for a team LIKE THIS to overcome in such a loaded conference. Of course, there are many teams that could overcome worse, but I don't see Uconn having the heart. 0-1 is bad enough for a team with this character. Hope they prove me wrong.

4. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Iowa only lost to #4 Purdue by 11. I declare moral victory.

5. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice Job K-State. This whole season has been full of one upset after another and I fucking love it. Just hope that it won't happen to my Spartans. We're on a roll and the only thing that looks like it can stop us is one of our away games against maybe Minnesota or Wisconsin, our two closest home games.

6. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two months til March Madness!

This year I am loving ASU. They're doing pretty well considering they don't have Harden anymore. Hopefully Shipp, Abbott and Glasser can hold it together.

7. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is one thing I hate about being a UConn fan (and alum). People always trying to compare the women's team to the men. A local newspaper has just ran a poll asking which team would win if they played and about 30% said the women. I do not care how good the women are, the men would win that game by a score of around 200-12.

UConn play Texas today at 4 and they need this game. It does not look that good though. Calhoun is on a medical leave of absense and UConn has been really struggling with their shooting especially on the FT line.

The game is in Storrs but with how shitty the home crowds have been so far it does not look to be too much of an advantage.

8. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And I almost just died. Wow. Simply amazing.

Bravo Michigan State, you almost gave me a heart attack. Thank you Ray and Kalin for carrying the team, and Green and Roe for the rebounds, and Allen for the three's. And I guess Summers for grabbing that last one. What the fuck Lucious? You missed everything. EVERYTHING!! This was definitely your off game. The whole team played like shit until the last 5 min or so, but we still pulled off a win, even if it was against a middle of the pack team. Bravo good sir's.

9. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Well, it was nice being #1 in basketball for a week, wasn't it Longhorns? 0-2 as the top-ranked team in the nation just won't cut it. Oh well, back to work in gunning for the Big12 title and (hopeful) 1 seed. Enjoy the new top-ranking Kentucky.

10. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought the game was over as bad as UConn played in the first half. What did they have 17 turnovers in the first half. But they eliminated their mistakes in the second and really stepped up their Defense.

11. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another heart attack by my Spartans.
    Jesus, I almost died again. I thought that last shot rolled in. F-in A Lucas, you saved that game for us with that jumper. And Ray with his 20 pts, awesome. Make the next one a blow out though, so I don't have a heart attack.

12. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fuck you and your pansy motherfuckers. Goddamn it, I hate losing to State.

13. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sorry, was that win number 17 out of the past 20 games against you guys? I think so. On a separate note, Manny Harris played like an all star, and so did Sims. 5 steals and 16 pts, and 19 pts respectively...it was a fucking good game if you ask me.

14. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It was. Kalin Lucas and Raymar Morgan are allstars. That said, I don't think MSU will make it past the Elite Eight. Michigan? They'll be lucky to sneak into the NIT.

15. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Devan Downey is a beast, damn. That spin around Wall and subsequent floater was unreal.

16. cllrbone11

cllrbone11
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So PC beat UConn tonight. And then the students stormed the court like beating the 19th ranked team in the country is a huge accomplishment or something. I'm embarrassed how excited my classmates got about this win. Can't wait to burn down the Dunkin Donuts Center and flip some cars when we get invited to the NIT.

17. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

that's what's so great about college basketball -- the "experience" of it all. Beating the 19th ranked team might not mean shit, but it means something when it's UConn. South Carolina getting fined was the same type of bullshit; although they did beat the #1 team. Granted, I'm not saying every win deserves the same outcome, but there are times when storming the court is deserved, and to me, this qualifies. That's what college is for.

18. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Didn't they get fined somewhere along the lines of $25,000 for this being their second time doing that, or was that another school?

19. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am biased as a UConn alum but I don't think a storming was warranted. They are ranked 19 on name alone at this point. Yeah, they just beat Texas but that took a near perfect second half. UConn is 13-7 and 3-4 in the Big East. They still do not have a road win. Does that sound like a resume for storming the court?

20. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Kentucky brags about their #1 ranking with t-shirts, then loses to South Carolina. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.ukteamshop.com/wildcats/product.php?productid=3666&cat=0&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ukteamshop.com/wildcats/prod ... t=0&page=1</a>

Man, I sometimes wish we still had Tucker around here to talk endlessly about how great Kentucky is while bashing schools like Michigan State and Tom Izzo arbitrarily.