Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

My Strange Addiction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Jul 25, 2011.

1. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

There is this new reality-documentary show on TV called My Strange Addiction.

In this show, they follow people with strange addiction. One lady eats eight dryer sheets a day wrapped in toilet paper. Another sniffs gasoline dozens of times a day. Another is an adult baby 12 hours a day. She wears diapers and sleeps in a giant crib.

Instinctively some of these things really repulse me but, on the other hand, there but for tge grace of the universe go I. My worst is certainly the consumption of copious quantities of Diet Mountain Dew.

FOCUS: What is your strange addiction?

ALT FOCUS: Do you know somebody with a strange addiction?

2. Mastro

Mastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't suppose you've ever been to Australia for a lengthy period. I dare another Aussie to say this is unheard of.

3. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know if this is strange, but I have a legitimate coffee addiction. If I don't have at least one cup, I get a migraine and start throwing up.

4. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I like chicks with pubic hair.

5. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

My mother compulsively eats spoonfuls of cinnamon. I've never seen anybody else do that.

6. Dude

Dude
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I am unable to eat by myself without reading. Doesn't matter what it is, newspaper, book, back of a cereal box. I will make an entire meal, set it on the table, and then spend 10 minutes pacing around trying to find something interesting to read before I can eat.

Depending on the situation, this can be substituted for some other distraction (driving, watching a movie, etc.). If my mind isn't occupied while I'm eating, I can't deal with it.

7. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

My addictions aren't too weird. I'm definitely addicted to soda, but in the way where I really like to have one with dinner every day and get fidgety if this doesn't happen a couple days in a row, not where I'm downing a 12 pack of Coke like people can. If it has been too long since I've eaten chocolate, I start tweaking out like a junkie. Same for shopping. Thankfully that one hasn't reached the point of being dangerous, financially, and can be satiated even if I do boring shopping, like for groceries or toiletries or something.

The only rare one is I'm addicted to magazines. I think I may be personally responsible for keeping the industry afloat. I love reading them and looking at them and critiquing them. I love the sound and the feeling of turning the pages. I subscribe to 5 and regularly buy around 3 more. I keep basically orgasming at the thought of the pile of magazines waiting for me when I get home, because I've only rarely found places with English magazines here. Even if I'm in a waiting room or something and it only has, like, Fishing Quarterly or Parenting, fuck yes I am going to learn about what's going on in the world of fly fishing because I just need to read magazines. Not too bad of an addiction to have, though.

8. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Soda & coffee (you and 98% of everybody else), pussy (unless it belongs to a dead chick), and reading while eating alone (boredom and addiction ain't the same thing)--y'all are weirdos.

Look at the time--it's my freon break!

9. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guy they profiled for the "addicted to strength training" or whatever it was is one of my training partners. They went overboard with the whole psychologist bullshit and the amount of money he "spends" each year on it (through lost wages, expenses, etc) was blown WAY out of proportion.

He's just a normal dude who likes to lift heavy shit like everyone else. He's nothing like the toilet paper eating weirdos on that show.

10. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Does collecting and organizing music count? My digital music collection has been growing at a torrid pace since around 2006. I have a dream of one day having the perfect music collection. At any given moment I probably have about a gig of music waiting to be listened to. My organization is impeccable with all ID3 data complete according to specifications. Even my listening process is insanely organized. I will listen to a new album 4 times, and on the 4th listen and only on the 4th listen will I delete the songs I don't like and then put the album in my collection. It's insanely time consuming, but luckily music can be listened to while doing other things or else I'd be a complete deadbeat.

11. Rabbit B.

Rabbit B.
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

When I drive on the highway I tap my fingers against the steering wheel every time I'm halfway between the light posts. This can last for an hour until I found something else to distract me.

12. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a friend that holds his breath whenever we drive through a tunnel. He claims it's a test and makes any car trip more interesting.

Strangest aspect is that he'd obviously fail for any tunnel lasted over a minute or so.

13. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

A rep I received on my earlier post reminded me...I'm also kind of obsessive about washing my hands and somewhat about cleanliness in general. For instance:

I can't leave my house in the morning if I haven't showered. It doesn't matter how late I am, I have to have my shower. This is also the case after any nap. If I fall asleep, I have to shower when I wake up or else I feel disgusting.

I can't go to sleep if I haven't brushed my teeth. One time I woke up after a black out night with my toothbrush in my hand and toothpaste on my cheek.

I wipe all of my electronics down with windex at least once a week. Includes my cell phone, laptop, kindle, mp3 player, ps3 controller, and tv remote. I hate touching other people's gadgets because I know people neglect to clean these things almost entirely.

I wash my hands way more than any reasonable person should. Pretty frequently the skin on my hands will start peeling because of excess washing.

I refuse to continue wearing any article of clothing I slept in. I also refuse to re-wear any t-shirt after I have worn it. Even if I only had it on for a few hours and then changed into something else, that shirt is now dirty.

Aside from the cleanliness stuff, I also pretty much wear the same clothes everyday. White t-shirt and jeans. I'll put on a gray or black t-shirt if it's semi-formal social gathering. Never really wear shorts unless I'm working out. Don't really know why; it's just automatic.

14. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unfortunately, this is usually associated with the Aboriginal community, particularly in Northern Australia.

BP has even got a fuel they call "Opal" to counter petrol sniffing.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opal_%28fuel%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opal_%28fuel%29</a>

15. Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I used to run every day for about an hour to get runners high. Damn, that was addictive. It continued for a few years until I got too busy to support this habit.

Then there was the caffeine. I went up to about a case of diet mt. dew a day, and was told by my doctor to quit. It was aggravating my current medical condition to the point of having suicidal tendencies.

A friend of mine is hooked on Ambien. The sleeping medication. Its literally ruining her life.