Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

My Ideal Booze Arsenal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crown Royal, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think one of the best lessons I learned from this site is expanding my tastes of alcohol. People really know their booze on here, exchange tidbits, and constantly bicker at each other over who's taste is better. I also always enjoy the pictures people take of their "arsenal" of booze.

Focus: So I thought I'd ask each of you what your ideal at-home would be stocked with. And by that, I mean pick your ONE favourite brand of the following, and feel free to talk about why you love them:

1) Rye/Bourbon Whisk(e)y
    2) Scotch
    3) Vodka
    4) Gin
    5) White and/or Rum
    6) Draft beer
    7) White Wine
    8) Red Wine
    9) Tequila/Mezcal
    ALSO: Any I may have left out that you love: korn, ouzo, absinthe, cognac, triple sec, Jager, etc.

Leave any out that you don't like, but keep in mind: choose stuff that is in your price range. Don't be bragging about stocking your shelves with Don P for your fellow players and other assorted ballers.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Just to add, on #5 I meant to make it White AND dark. Sorry.

3. Dude

Dude
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Realistically, on a college student budget:

1) Southern Comfort
    2) I don't scotch
    3) Tito's Vodka
    4) Bulldog Gin
    5) Bacardi Rum (not a huge rum fan)
    6) Magic Hat #9 or National Bohemian
    7) Franzia.
    8) Franzia.
    9) Espolon Tequila
    10) Kahlua

To be honest I'd be perfectly happy with enough vodka, kahlua, and tequila to keep me from getting thirsty.

My freshman year I moved in with: 2 handles of smirnoff, 2 handles of soco, a handle of cuervo, a handle of gin, a handle of bacardi, and fifths of everclear, jager, peach schnapps, and gran marnier. I made friends very quickly.

4. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whiskey: Jameson - I rarely drink whiskey, as I don't really enjoy bourbon or Tennessee whiskey but I won't turn down a shot of Jameson. It goes down smooth and doesn't taste awful.
    Vodka: Tito's - It's made in small batches in Texas and is affordable. It's won numerous awards but my favorite part about it is it gets me drunk.
    Gin: Citadelle is my favorite and am sometimes willing to splurge on a bottle every now and again (I usually buy Tanqueray). It's got more flavor than a lot of gins and is very tasty. The gin and tonic is my go to drink and love nothing more than citadelle with a splash of tonic.
    Draft beer: Left Hand Milk Stout - My favorite beer. It's rich and dark and is sweet with a hint of chocolate. One of the tastiest stouts I've ever tasted.
    Red Wine: Merlot - I don't have a favorite merlot but have tasted many good ones. Ideally, I would like a bar filled with a few moderately priced good merlots.
    I haven't ventured into scotch or into the worlds of tequila and rum. I haven't sampled enough white wine to have a favorite.

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good idea. Well, off the top of my head, based on current availability and preference...

1) Woodford Reserve. I like bourbon more than whiskey, but am still not really to the point where I can sip a whiskey straight on a regular basis, except for Woodford. For whatever reason, the smoothness and flavor works.

2) Not a scotch drinker, still too smokey for my preferences.

3) Svedka or Tito's Not really a vodka fan based on taste, but its mixability is fantastic. For whatever reason, Svedka has an odd vanilla-ish after taste to me when mixed with any juice, which I've always been a fan of. Tito's is fantastic as well. Never got into a habit of drinking it, since it used to have limited availability, but that is changing. I don't care enough about taste to favor a Belvedere or the like.

4) Tanqueray My alcohol of choice. My everyday gin is Tanqueray and the one people buy for me if they are getting me liquor. I like Bombay as well, and Hendrick's is fantastic, if not a bit bourgeois, but Tanqueray is my standby.

5) I could give a damn about rum. Though if its offered, I'd much prefer white to spiced.

6) My favorite draft beer is probably New Glarus Spotted Cow, but good luck finding it outside of Wisconsin or right along the border in MN or IL based on their distribution rules. Runner up would be Three Floyd's Gumballhead.

7/8) I'm hit or miss with wine. Definitely prefer red, usually a Shiraz or Malbec. Though my boss got me a great bottle of Bordeaux for Christmas that I enjoyed.

9) I've always really liked tequila. Not necessarily to sip straight,but the flavor in any sort of mixed drink is great. My favorite would probably be Corazon. But this is one area I'm always looking to expand my knowledge. So hit me up with any recos for sure.

6. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1: Woodford Reserve. Very smooth and I've never bought into the single barrel burboun crap. Single barrel is always harsher and less pleasant, I don't care what the connoisseurs say.

2. Aberlour Its about the only Scotch I know.

3. Svedka My only measurment for a fine vodka is how little of a hangover I get off of it. I found out in college that this was the best. I could care less about the finer points of more expensive vodka.

4. Gin Pass, I get hungover off of two, can't stand it.

5. Rum Anything Bacardi and better, I'm not picky with rum

6. Green Flash HopHead Red Simply my favorite beer, and has been for a few years. Out of a tap its insanely good.

7. Fuck all Wine I seriously hate alcoholic grape juice.

9. 1800 Pretty much the Makers Mark of tequila, can't go wrong and I'm unfamiliar with finer tequilas.

7. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1) Makers Mark I love the way it smells and it has a little higher proof than the others
    2) Johny Walker Black, not a scotch drinker myself but most scotch drinkers will drink it
    3) Stoli, you should be able to taste vodka and stoli has a nice harsh grainy taste
    4) Saphire, it is the only.gin that is tolerable to me.
    5) Sailor Jerry a nice higher proof spiced rum that makes Capt. look silly
    6) Dos Equis Amber, my proximity to mexico has me biased to beer I put lime in
    7) La Crema Chard is solid, pairs well with fish and the ladies love it.
    8) Yellowtail Shiraz/Cab blend very inexpensive but the blackberry makes is good
    9) Patron Anejo is good stuff by itself, in margaritas or with orange or pineapple
    10) Gran Marnier for Margaritas

With that I could find something to please anybody

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

1) Bulleit Bourbon. An awesome inexpensive bourbon that, for the money, is better than Makers Mark.
    2) Johnny Walker Black. Solid scotch and the best JW blend (aside from blue).
    3) Stoli Cranberry. Same reasons the others have said.
    4) Leopolds Small Batch or Bombay Sapphire. I'm really snobby about my gin, so I don't mind shelling out a few extra $ for Leopolds. It's awesome with a great finish.
    5) Rum sucks. Fuck rum.
    6) Allagash White. Such an awesome beer. It's incredibly smooth and thick with a great flavor and slightly more alcohol.
    7) White wine sucks. Fuck white wine.
    8) Castello Del Trebbio Pinot Noir
    9) Patron Silver

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bulleit is outstanding enough to make me forget I don't normally like rye (of which Bulleit has way more of than most bourbons)

My budget is weird, I drink very infrequently, so I'll pick out a top dollar scotch because i'll have it almost indefinitely, but I'll still go for a cheap gin because I'm just not choosy enough.

1) Maker's Mark
    While overpriced and probably overrated, it's always been a safe bet, and it'll likely be my favourite even compared to 'superior' whiskey.

2) Lagavulin 16
    Anything I write would be a sappy love letter and fanboyism. It's my favourite drink in the world. If I'm more budget conscious I might go with Talisker instead. I've had a very bad experience with Laphroaig.

3) Ketel One, because its neutral is more "neutral" than "motor oil"

4) Bulldog Gin is probably my favourite 'standard' gin, though I have no beef with Tanqueray. Hendrick's is the best, but I like sticking with more "pure traditional" gin flavours, does that make sense?

5) I don't really drink rum, so Morgan's spiced because all my friends drink it

6) Mill Street Stock Ale. Not the best, but always safe, always good. Not that I actually drink beer any more (keto diet)

7+8) I don't really do the fermented fruit thing, and unlike beer I never was very into wines, so I won't even try.

9) I've had tequila maybe twice in my life, so it's not really fair for me to guess.

I'd also want a bottle of Taboo absinthe.

Bonus ALT FOCUS - booze that you never want around
    1) I don't likle rye so it's not really fair.
    2) Any blend that costs more than Glenlivet. Seriously, Glenlivet isn't that expensive and sure as hell beats the pants off JW at almost any price point and similar.
    3) Polar Ice. Tastes like antifreeze going down, and will make your fingertips numb as you puke that vile shit back up.
    4) Bombay Sapphire. I can't describe it outside of "this tastes like chemicals"
    5) Not a rum guy
    6) Anything "light" though bonus points for Molson 67 for perfectly capturing the taste of muddy lake water.

10. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bulleit Rye has become my #1 recently. I consider all of the Crown and Jameson left in my liquor cabinet to be nothing more than mixers now.

11. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This is a serendipitous thread, seeing that I'll be building a home bar in the near future that will need to be stocked.

1. Irish whiskey, either Jameson or Powers. It's smooth and not too expensive to mix when I don't want to drink it neat.
    2. Aberlour or some other Speyside single malt in that price range. I like to have a glass handy when I'm writing as part of my ritual. 12 year or older.
    3. Vodka. Svedka is pretty much my standard. It's cheap and the Swiss Army knife of any bar.
    4. Bombay Sapphire. I'm a fan of a good gin martini, and with what they cost at a restaurant or bar I'll make it myself, and better. (Cool River Cafe of Irving notwithstanding).
    5. Tequila silver. Because panties dropping = good.
    6. Tequila or mescal reposado (and only the real mescal, not the cheap mierda con gusano).
    7. A few bottles of expensive, good microbrew. Maharaja or some other kind of ale usually. I like to break these out for special occasions.
    8. Cheap red wine, usually from Oz. More for guests than myself.
    9. Good pinot grigio. It gets hot most of the year in Texas and I like to play sommelier when I play chef.
    10. Rum. I keep two bottles, one of Kraken (makes a better rum & coke than Cap'n), and one of either Zaya or Pusser's. These don't generally get mixed, since they drink like whiskeys.

12. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

1) Eagle Rare Bourbon. Simply delicious, and very reasonably priced. I also have a bottle of Old Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year in the cabinet, but that stuff is so hard to find (and expensive) that it is only for special occasions. Nothing is smoother or tastier, though.

2) Hendricks Gin. I don't know what it is about this stuff that I love so much, but I do. MUCH better than Sapphire or Tanq 10. You get what you pay for.

3) I don't particularly care for scotch, but if I'm going to drink it I drink Oban. Not too smokey like Laphroaig, but still enough to let you know you are drinking scotch.

4) All vodkas suck. The neutral spirits I make in my garage are much, MUCH better because I can throw out all the heads and tails and just save the hearts. I cut it down to 100 proof for vodka, and it is vastly superior to anything you can buy in the store.

13. Psychodyne

Psychodyne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Disclamer: None of this is for power drinking. This is what I keep in my cabinet at home for my sipping pleasure, and restock when I run out. It's not the best, but in my opinion it's awesome for what I can regularly afford. I'll have to copy BrianH on a couple of his, but...

Eagle Rare Bourbon 10 - The best I've had so far, although I'm not a big bourbon drinker. I'm thinking I might have to try out this Bulleit Rye that has been mentioned.

Glenlivet 12 - Not my favorite scotch, but the standby that I can afford on a regular basis. I love scotch and could spend a fortune on it, but since this thread is about stuff in our normal price range, this is the staple I always have on hand.

The Irishman - A very good Irish whiskey that's not too expensive. Jameson will always have a spot in my cabinet, but that's just a given, so I figured I should list another one.

Stoli - I rarely drink vodka. That's all.

Hendricks Gin - I used to drink Bombay Sapphire and would "lower" myself to Tanqueray if needs be, but this stuff is delicious. Drizzle a little tonic water over it, put a slice of cucumber in it, and I shit you not, you will have probably found your new summer drink. It's that good.

Zaya 12yr Rum - A great sipping rum.

Seasonal Beers - I don't keep any specific kind of beer on hand, but if I had a bar with a tap, I'd have to be able to rotate different seasonal beers. I cannot pick just one favorite. If forced, I'd probably pick something like Nordeast because it's a good all season beer that most people like.

We usually keep a few red and white wines on hand as well, but those are usually decent ones we've found for cheap at Trader Joe's and can be hit or miss.

14. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Before I quit, this is what I kept on hand:
    Whiskey: Crown Royal, and Irish whiskey when I got it as a gift.
    Bourbon: Maker's Mark, and on special occasions a bottle of single-barrel, either Woodford or Knob Creek.
    Rum: Havana Club (I had a friend who was a pilot and flew charters into Jamaica and Mexico, so Havana Club and Cuban Montecristo's were never a problem). Before that, I always had Myers.
    Scotch: I went through a scotch phase at the bars many years back and drank a lot of Dewar's, so I always kept a bottle of that on hand. Then I worked for a guy who was into single malts and I acquired a taste for Dalwhinnie.
    Vodka: My buddies and I drank a lot of vodka on the patio, and it was usually Smirnoff or Skyy. Occasionally we'd get Grey Goose, Chopin or Belvedere, but since a 1.5 would only last us about 2 days, Smirnoff was more economical.
    Gin: Was never much of a gin drinker except for the occasional G&T during the summer, so I'd buy a bottle of Tanqeray.
    Draft beer: I had a kegerator on the patio and since most of my group and I drank Bud Light, that's what I would tap. But if we went to a bar with a selection of microbrews or imports, I'd be all over them, especially Bass, Guinness, Sierra Nevada and Old Thumper if any of the bars here could get it.
    We also drank a lot of Jager, so the freezer usually had two 1.5's.
    Tequila: Never stocked it. I would buy Cuervo when we had our Jimmy Buffet parties and I would rent a frozen margarita machine, but that was it.
    Wine: I loved cabernets, and kept my wine refrigerator well stocked with Tudal Cabs as well as some of their exceptional blended table wines, such as Tractor Shed Red and RagTop Red. My wife and I got to meet Arnold Tudal who founded the winery back when his production was so limited, a bottle rarely made it out of California. When we met him at the winery, I purchased two cases of his '87 cab, and he signed each bottle for us. I also liked Cakebread, Rodney Strong and Silver Oak. As for whites, I would keep a few bottles of J. Lohr chardonnay on hand in case a guest asked for a glass of white.
    Given my wife is Italian, we also had bottles of Lemoncello and sambuca on hand as well as a bottle of grappa her grandfather made (nasty, nasty stuff), and my sister brought me a few bottles of Ouzo 21 from her trip to Greece.

Today, the wine fridge is used for bottled (mineral & spring) waters, and soda when my oldest is home from school. I have no idea what my wife put in the liquor cabinet these days, but I know it's not booze.

15. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rye/Bourbon Whiskey: Just one? Cut my balls off why don't you. Bourbon is my favorite thing in the world now. Let's go with Woodford. Rich wood, vanilla, caramel, light smoke. Real smooth. Dangerous. Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Maker's are all great, reasonably priced.

Gin: I cut vodka completely out of my bar. Replaced it with gin. If you can make it with vodka, make it with gin (who the fuck drinks those straight?). Bombay will make a fine cocktail at $22 a handle. Hendricks for everything else when I have the cash (I know that's 2, but too bad). You'd be surprised what all you can make with gin.

Rum: Cruzan silver. Carribean and tiki drinks are all I use rum for. I don't get much use out of spiced or sipping rums. Cruzan also makes a dark (both are $17 a handle here) for the couple cocktails that require it.

Draft beer: We'll be here all year. Prefer bottle though. I like variety, not slugging through a keg of the same thing. Though, I try to keep Yuengling on hand. It's a reliable amber ale. If I had an endless budget I'd be driving all over the state to buy cases of certain beers; it's that kind of a sickness for me.

White Wine: Santa Margherita Pinto Grigio. Great stuff. A little mineral tasting, some apricot and pear notes.

Red Wine: I like Bordeaux. I can't afford Bordeaux. Chateau Bel-Air is around $20 a bottle; pretty decent. We'll have to go with that until I move into a different pay grade.

Tequila/Mezcal: The thing about shitty tequila is even the smallest amount cuts through any mixer. This stuff called Corralejo is tits. $25ish; doesn't taste like hot vomit. I make a few margaritas that will give you nipple boners.

Absinthe: Love absinthe. So many overpriced, shitty brands out there. Absente and Mystique are criminally terrible. Kubler makes my favorite. Really herbaceous, not as potent with the anise, 106 proof.

16. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1) Rye/Bourbon Whisk(e)y - Maker's Mark. Some friends turned me on to this and I like the flavor, and it isn't too pricey. I have some fond memories of Bourbon and Bonfire nights up the block with some of the locals. Plus, these:

[​IMG]

2) Scotch - Not a huge Scotch guy. I really liked Ballantine's. For decent everyday drinking, I like Johnny Walker Double Black. I have some fond memories of sipping this from a flask while Halloweening with the kid and neighbors.

3) Vodka- Tito's is great, but I'll go with Ketel One. Plus, I have some fond memories of doing shots of Ketel at a buddy's wedding.

4) Gin- Bombay Sapphire, hands down. Nothing else is even close, particularly for martinis. Someone from the TMMB recommended this to me and I've been a fan ever since. I have some fond memories of . . . . .perhaps a reexamination of my life is in order if most of my "fond memories" are tied to booze. Naaaaaahhhhhh.

5) White and/or Rum- Not a rum guy, and I despise spiced rum. Cruzan, if I had to pick.

6) Draft beer - This could be, and has been, its own thread, and I like too many to mention here.. But if we are talking every day, more than one glass (People only drink one beer?) I'll go with Sammy Adams or Miller.

7) White Wine- Sauvignon Blanc. Mondavi, for sentimental, reasons.

8) Red Wine - If money were no object - Opus One. Every day - Cabernet or Zinfandel - Ravenswood, Chateau St. Michelle, or St. Francis are decent values.

9) Tequila/Mezcal - Jesus, why? Fine, twist my arm. Patron.

Any I may have left out I'll need my favorite liqueur, Patron XO cafe, as well as Bailey's, and Kahlua.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

1) Knob Creek- I've only had it a couple times but I aboslutely loved it. You US assholes won't ship it up here, I'm DYING here!!!!
    2) I am uneducated in Scotch.
    3) Skyy- pretty much all vodkas taste the same, Skyy is super-cheap to buy here.
    4) Bombay- Cool-looking bottle, only gin I really like.
    5) Havana Club White and Dark. The BEST Cuban rum, I wish you could try it Black Jesus
    6) Blue Moon- Instantly loved it, and I like it even better on draft.
    7) Not a wine fan, at least not yet.
    8) n/a
    9) Gilla- Smooth for tequila, I think worth the slightly higher price
    10) Absinthe Toulouse-Lautrac- True old-school Czech green fairy shit. Prepeare to go to mars, but don't drink this like a rock star or you'll be throwing up for hours. Not for gentle souls, but probably the best absinthe.
    ALSO: Any I may have left out that you love: korn, ouzo, absinthe, cognac, triple sec, Jager, etc.

18. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Kentucky Deluxe

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

20. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1) Rye/Bourbon Whisk(e)y - I haven't tried enough to have a favourite. Crown Royal is a good standard, though.
    2) Scotch - Why have just one? But if I had to, maybe a Highland Park or Glenmorangie.
    3) Vodka - That random Hungarian vodka I had out of the backpack of an American in a Viennese hostel room, because holy fuck that shit was smooth. Failing that, I have a bottle of Tito's right now and it serves just fine.
    4) Gin - Me and gin had a big fight in my freshman year of university and we haven't spoken since.
    5) White and/or Rum - Whatever my friends like, I don't drink the stuff.
    6) Draft beer - Mill Street Stock Ale is my go-to when all I want is a plain lager
    7) White Wine - I really only buy white for cooking with, but when I do, it's Mouton Cadet
    8) Red Wine - Anything sangiovese. I also love me some cheap Bordeaux.
    9) Tequila/Mezcal - No, thank you.

Surveying my liquor collection, I also have some vermouth and cointreau, which I pretty much never use anyways.