Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Musician's Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by iczorro, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Franky

Franky
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

If you're not a classical player, it doesn't really matter 80% of the time. The 'plumber's technique' as I prefer to call the wayward thumb is perfectly valid if your hands are big enough and your fingers are long enough. It is a much more ergonomic position for open chords, quick flurries or Hendrix-style rhythm playing.
    If I need to do fast and intricate scale work, my thumb automatically switches to the correct position against the back of the neck, but whenever I get the chance I ease up. Try playing a two-hour gig with near constant pressure on the thumb. It sucks, no matter how light and smooth your touch is.

In fact, sometimes you need the thumb up there. Try fretting some Hendrix pieces without the thumb on the e string. Or, for example, Red Hot Chilli Pepper's Can't Stop riff. (And no single-notes, that thing is played by strumming ALL the strings and damping everything but the one you want. You can't do that without damping the e string with your thumb and fretting it on the last two bass drones)

2. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As long as you aren't hurting yourself, it's fine. I play 80% of my chords with my thumb.

3. Psk

Psk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Thought I'd share some of my thoughts here. First, my instrument, the guitar. Been playing for 5 years, mostly stuck within rock/blues when I play, but my musical interests stretch much further.

Regarding becoming a better musician, yes, practicing on your instrument is key, but I agree with the sentiment that you need to let the music flow from within (fuck that sounds cheesy). What really helped me was when I started using Guitar Pro as a tool to test out new riffs. At first I used it in order to play chord progressions while I tried out new riffs, then I started using it to put together songs for my band, and then I started experimenting with the different instruments. Right now, I use it to compose "symphonies". What it allows me to do is to completely explore new ideas for melodies, chord progressions and musical structure without having my own technique, or the fact that I don't have the ability to play 10 instruments at once hinder me. How do you teach yourself to write harmonies if you can't test the different notes together? Or decide which chord progression to use for a specific riff without being able to test them? This in turn has meant that my own skill in composing music has improved, and in turn, my ability to play the guitar and improvising.

For example - I think of a melody, I write it down in Guitar Pro, then I learn it on the guitar. Or I just start off with a note and see where it takes me - and I have it all in electronic form ready to be played back as soon as I'm done. I have written some of my best solos in this way.

Of course, there are probably much better software out there than Guitar Pro (which does have many faults, such as being incredibly mechanical), but the principle is the same. Thoughts?

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ran across this today... fucking cool.

Then there's this pic:

[​IMG]

Can YOU spot the geeky engineer type?

#84 Nettdata, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Pretty stoked. Sitting here in the Calgary airport waiting for my flight, and just got off the phone with a friend of mine who's a studio musician.

Turns out he's thinning his herd of guitars, and has offered me a killer (as in almost free) deal on one of his Ovation super-small bowls. We're talking about 1/4th of new, and I know it's been meticulously maintained. (He's toured a lot, and is pretty heavily sponsored, so he's basically getting new ones to replace the older ones).

Even better, after finding out that I'll be spending a month at my folks place in London, he's offered to ship it out to me so I'll have something to do while I'm bored out of my skull.

(I'm thinking that practising the bagpipes in the house won't go over too well, or for too long).

Today is a good day!

I know that some people don't care for the distinctive "Ovation" sound, but I love their onboard electronics and the fact that it plays like an electric. (I have stupidly small hands and hate playing full-size acoustics).

Attached Files:

6. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now that's nice!

I just started playing (electric) and have been looking at Gibson SG's. Have you played them? And, what's your opinion if I may be so bold to ask? After playing drums for 15-20 years on and off learning to play the guitar has been a much welcomed resurrection of my love for music.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Totally depends on the music you want to play and the action that works best for you.

I had an SG, but it just didn't do it for me. Call me a cliche, but my favorite guitar is the Peavy EVH Wolfgang (perfect action size and feel for me), with my telecaster reissue being my 2nd favorite.

My 1982 Charvell series 5 is a close third.

8. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate SG's. Hate hate hate hate hate. They just feel so awkward in my hands.

It probably doesn't help that I've been raised on Strats, though.

9. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for the input guys. I figured I'd have to go play different makes and models and find what suits me best.

For the record I'm mostly playing stuff I grew up with right now, 80's metal dominant. I'm sure that will change as I get better.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you're going for that 80's metal kind of thing, I'd recommend getting a guitar with a floating bridge. Just no other way to get those killer whammy bar dives.

Can't really go wrong with an Ibanez, Charvel, Jackson, etc.

If you REALLY want to do the 80's guitar god thing, get the Ibanez Steve Vai JEM505.

I've always wanted one, just never had the balls to actually buy one.

Again, this is my favourite guitar:

<a class="postlink" href="http://classicguitarsonline.com/Specs/peavey_evh_wolfgang.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://classicguitarsonline.com/Specs/p ... fgang.html</a>

And yes, I'm a big enough douche to have the 5150 head (albeit with a mesa-boogie 4x10 cab) to go with it.

11. Obviously5Believer

Obviously5Believer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

SG's have very wide, spacious fretboards and a super light body. When playing with a strap, this means that the neck of the guitar is trying to take a dive to the floor which can be very uncomfortable after long periods. On the plus side, double cutaway means you can very easily reach up to the 24th fret without having to change your hand position much at all. If you do a lot of lead work up there that might be very handy.

But yeah, go to a shop and try out as many as you can and don't forget to have it set up properly if you decide to buy it. Guitar Center especially has some poorly adjusted models on the floor that don't really represent what the instrument is capable of.

12. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Doucheeeeeeeee

I've played all the player-model Ibanez's (Vai, Satriani, etc.) and haven't liked any of them. I don't know what it is, but they just don't feel like they were worth the ~$2000. Plus I pretty much dislike the entire idea of player-model guitars.

This was a hateful post.

13. CarbonCopy

CarbonCopy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm with you there. How am I supposed to be 'me' playing someone else's axe?

I have a late 80's Japanese Strat with a locking tremolo and a humbucker at the bridge. I had a lot of work done to the neck and it is fabulous. I love 80's metal, but right now I'm playing country with the damn thing.

Just find a guitar that fits your hands and plays well for YOU. The only way to do that is try out anything and everything.

I will see your 5150 and raise you a 3 channel Dual Rectifier.

14. Obviously5Believer

Obviously5Believer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Relevant video. It's Joe Satriani rocking the shit out of some fan's shitty knockoff guitar and amp. I've got a nice American strat, epiphone Les Paul, and a cheap Yamaha acoustic that have served me well for years. First guitar was a Squire that I learned to love. I know some people who lust over stupid expensive gear and aren't good players at all. By all means get yourself a nice guitar that is at the very least comfortable to play. But don't worry so much about having "the right guitar" and spend 99% of your time worrying about the right skills and the right sound.

Not singling you out in particular, just mentioning something that a lot musicians fall victim to. An SG is a fine guitar, but a Gibson is not necessary for a beginner. Work with what you have, become the best you can with your modest equipment and upgrade when the time is right and you actually know what to look for your perfect axe.

#94 Obviously5Believer, Nov 3, 2010
  15. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the advice, and for the record, I agree whole heartedly. Quite frankly I've been looking because I like to look, but in reality I know I'm about a year away from any upgrade I might make.

I took the same approach when I first started to learn the drums as a teenager. I bought my friends POS 5 piece(complete with cracked cymbals) and beat the shit out of it to the point where I was comfortable playing gigs,(well school dances anyway), with it. When I finally bought a new set, and played it for the first time, it felt like I had been delivered to the promised land. Not that my playing had improved, but everything sounded so much better.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I saw footage of Eddie, Satch, jeff beck, and Eric Johnson fucking around at some small bar after some music convention. They all did their signature shit but then thought they'd trade guitars for shits and giggles.

Guess what?

They all still sounded the same. It's more the style and technique of the player than the gear.

17. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was just talking about how they played. Felt like I was playing a cinder block.

Also, tone comes from the hands of the player. Sure, there are some things that differ between guitars (you can't sustain a Strat like you can a Les Paul) but a good player is going to sound better than a beginner, and somebody at the Eric Johnson/ Eddie/ etc is going to make most any guitar sound like it's them playing.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'll still say that the Peavey EVH Wolfgang is one of the best guitars I've played. The neck, feel, action, all just work for me.

I've been playing for 25 years off and on and had about as many guitars come and go, and I like it.

I was in the music business for a while and lived with a pro guitar tech (did guitar tech work on tour for years) and he was impressed with how little had to be done to the thing out of the box to get it "playable" in his words.

The worst nightmare was a guild 12-string. Awesome sound but was a nightmare getting it right.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

ReBirth for iPad is a $15 multitouch synthesizer that emulates the Roland TB-303 Bass synth and the Roland TR-808 and 909 drum machines. You can create music on it and output the songs as MP3s.

I had an orginal TR-808. Crazy.

#99 Nettdata, Nov 11, 2010
  20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

New guitar showed up yesterday. Sounds awesome, and exactly like I remembered.

The built-in tuner is a nice touch, too.

I swear it's like it was never even used... it's hard to believe it's not brand new.

If only my callouses were tougher...

And I don't know what it is, but it seems that the only pick that I can use is a Tortex Triangle. I use a 1mm for my electrics, and a .8mm seems to work quite well with this.

All my friends look at me like I'm nuts, but even though my hands are small, I just can't seem to use a "normal" teardrop pick.

Attached Files: