Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Musician's Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by iczorro, Apr 7, 2010.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    That's awesome. I always end up with what I refer to as "A forest" of guitars on stands in my house.

Seriously? A strap for each and every one? I usually have just one strap total, but I usually play sitting down any more, so maybe that's just me.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha. I used to have a "clip on" strap system so every guitar had the plastic clips and I just used the one strap that had the wireless attached, and attached it to whatever guitar I picked up.

Since I no longer do the wireless thing, I just have whatever strap came with them or that I had lying around on them. I find if I don't have a strap, the guitar slips out of my lap.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I've always had just one strap for all my guitars, even when I was playing live. So it's probably just one of my quirks.

A little story: Years ago I needed a new strap, we were playing in some little back woods town that had one music store. I walked in and there was some hippy chick running the place, I stated I needed a strap and she said "We've only got one and it's ugly." It was a chunk of black leather about 3" wide and it was perfect in my eyes. I couldn't believe I found exactly what I needed in that little town and this girl with hairy armpits and soaked in patchouli was putting it down. I used that thing for close to 20 years.

4. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw this and said “AND a purple Lakland? Fuck off...”

But I am drinking beer. I mean it in the friendly spirit of two people drinking beer.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wanted a bass to record some home shit with, and I got a good deal on it. I'm OK with purple.

6. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Purple’s fine. I’m just saying, as a bassist, the Lakland makes me jealous more than any of the high-end guitars. They make some really smooth playing instruments.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I don’t know basses, at all, but I quite like this one, for sure.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Happy NGD! I pulled trigger the other day on my first Stratocaster. I’ve always wanted one. It arrived a few minutes ago.
    F1A523DA-4860-4948-BB13-2F185B800275.jpeg
    The color is called mystic surf green. I’m lucky to have been able to find one available. A lot of Fenders have been out of stock lately.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's awesome! Congrats!

I know picking up that Tele has really rekindled the playing bug in me and I've been noodling just about every night ever since.

Love the colour!

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks! I also got the new fender mustang micro headphone amp. It allows me to play directly into headphones and has a ton of preprogrammed amp types and effects so I don’t piss anyone off.

I have a good amount of time during the day while working from home. Might as well sharpen up my skills and learn some new stuff.

11. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

it’s a beauty. Green is always my choice.

So I’ve been doing sporadic livestreams to keep the music going for me, but now that things are opening up and vaccines are rolling out, I’ve got two things in the works - I’ll be on my local radio station’s “artist spotlight” to play one of my songs and talk about my songwriting, music in general, etc. I’ll be doing that the first Friday in May.
    And as my friend suggested I should have something to advertise when I’m there, I signed up for a gig at the end of May. My first ever solo gig, even though I’ve been a touring bass player and went to a music college. It’s just at the local gyro restaurant but I’m still anxious.

I’ve been practicing and it’s really showing how much I relied on others. My guitar playing is...not great. Mediocre at best. And my piano playing is simple...but my singing is good. I just have to practice and get things where they need to be...it just gets me down to sound so shitty right now.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never play in front of a crowd again... I'm in it just for the fun.

I've picked up the Ableton Suite and am fucking around doing some childish DAW stuff... it's crap, but it's fun.

13. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m not looking to “tour” again per se. But the long-term goal is to play out, get more involved in the local scene...eventually put together a full band for weddings/bars - a group of people I can call if I need a Texas Blues trio, or a full band with horns.

But I’ve been out of practice. It’s like turning on a faucet after years of not running the water - gotta flush all the shit out of the pipes.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha. It's pretty amazing how quickly the ego gets checked with that first song. Or the third, where your hands cramp up or fingers get too sore... "wait... there are 2 more sets? FUUUUCK"

15. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I was on the road, we played Love Shack - it was fun, because the crowd loved it, and I had no shame when “singing” Fred Schneider’s part. BUT - it’s in C, and the bassline is simple and repetitive, all down between the first and third frets on the E and A strings. It was hell.

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

That's beautiful! I dig it. Congrats.

Good luck. I know there's no way in hell I'll ever play live again. I could never get on stage sober, I never even considered trying. My "Normal" personality is too laid back but a 6 pack and a couple of rails and I was all set to go as long as I kept doing lines and drinking I was golden. It would probably kill me now.

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well to be fair, this isn’t anything more than setting up a speaker in the corner of a small restaurant, with my acoustic and a keyboard. More of a coffee house thing.

But I’m working up to a band situation, eventually. There’s also a community theater in town and they want some volunteers - maybe they need a music director or a bass player in the pit orchestra. I just need to get back on the horse in some way.

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone here played a 7 string? What exactly is the theory behind the 7th string?

Are the normal six strings still EADGBE? What is 7 tuned to?

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The 7 strings I’ve seen add a lower string below E. Not sure what it’s tuned to though. Google suggests an F#

20. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

7-strings are (usually these days) a metal thing. It’s like a 5-string bass, it’s tuned
    B-E-A-D-G-B-E.
    There’s 8-strings too, which are tuned
    F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E