Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Musician's Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by iczorro, Apr 7, 2010.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Locking nuts are an amazing thing.

I had my current LP for about a month before I got to hear it's real voice. I was fine for cords, I just didn't have anything to plug them in to other than a cheap ass Rockman. After I'd procured a decent 8 track and patched it in...the voice of an angry angel, just the way an LP should sound. Fat, thick, and glorious. You won't be disappointed.

And once you dive bomb a harmonic that seems to rings forever you'll love the FR even more.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Just to share one of my old LP's. Most of the ones I've owned have been white with gold hardware, I've just dug the look since I was a teenager...I've owned like 5 of them. I've also had three sunbursts and my current burgundy one, but at some point I'll probably get another Arctic White/Gold hardware model just because.

How can you not love this?

paul.jpg

3. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m a Fender guy, myself. I love LPs and believe me, I sold the shit out of ‘em because their commission rate was higher. But I’m a bass player primarily and Fender owns that world.

My Jazz Bass and my Tele are both Sherwood Green. I need to get a tortoiseshell pickguard for the Tele though. Tortoiseshell is so weird of a combo with any “custom” color that it makes it pop even more.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I hear you. I've had an old Strat before, and had to sell it. Right now I'm looking for an inexpensive bass to noodle around on and do some pro tools stuff with... Fender is at the top of the list so far.

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fender basses are such a universal sound, and they’re solid build from top to bottom. The necks on the US and MIM models are all made in the same place, anyway. A decent MIM P or J will work fine.

Here’s a pic of my old bass (natural finish on the left) that I sold, and my current one. The old one was MIM and I used it for about 8 years, all through when I was touring, and after.

953C8528-A51B-433D-9CCF-6572E98FC1EB.jpeg

My next purchase is gonna be a Nash Jazz bass, with a relic finish, in British Racing Green with a matching headstock. Can you tell what my favorite color is?

#465 NatCH, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I’ve always wanted a PRS, and after 30+ years, it finally happened.

It’s the nicest playing guitar I’ve ever played.

I’ve now hit my guitar bucket list. Stick a fork in me, I’m done.

D2F74C51-493F-4D7F-8EF7-617CF764BD7A.jpeg

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Nice! I've never played one, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. What exactly are those fret markers? They remind me kind of one my Schecters that had bats for fret markers.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They are birds. His mom was a bird watcher, and this is his tribute to her.

Every fret is a different bird.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/the_story_of_the_prs_bird_inlays

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

10. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ooooh, a McCarty 10-top, nice.

What's that finish called? Looks like their "Whale Blue" color on the inner?

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think they call it "charcoal cherry burst". Regardless, saw it, and I really like it.

I originally was looking for the whale blue custom, but the local shops had a year+ wait time for them to come in. I then went looking for something in inventory, and ran across a small Ottawa shop that had a few PRS in stock. Saw the pic, and it was a done deal. I'm SUPER happy with it, needless to say.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not going to lie... the first one that I tried to get was this one: https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/200297782/private-stock-custom-24-retro-5/?cat_id=21924

PRS Private Stock. Stupid money, but man is it fucking gorgeous. Tried to do the online purchase one drunken evening, and it denied. They called me the next day, and turns out that PRS won't let them sell any of their inventory outside of the US, never mind that particular one has Brazillian Rosewood, which is now a protected species so cannot go across the border or it gets destroyed.

[​IMG]

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have you ever watched any of Paul Reed Smith's YouTube stuff? He's like the Elon Musk of guitars.

I loved when Alex Lifeson was in his PRS live period. The Rush In Rio concert DVD is a great recording of this - the version of La Villa Strangiato is quintessential PRS showcase. Before he had his signature LP Axcess, that was his best combo / whammy bar option, and he killed it. Alex stopped using them live, because, as he said "everyone was playing them."

Man, those are sweet guitars! Congrats.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Alex is why it's been at the top of my bucket list forever.

I remember being in public school and hearing Rush and owning all of their albums. Discovery is what made me want to learn how to play the guitar, and when I started my infatuation with Rush.

I actually got to hang with them after a concert once, and play golf with them in Whistler the next day. Well, we tried... Neil was already off towards Seattle on his bike, and Geddy and Alex were higher than a fucking kite. We didn't make it past the 6th hole. But it was a golf game I'll never forget.

This was back when Alex was doing his solo gig, Victor... and his guitarist, Bill Bell, was married to one of our (Nettwerk's) artists (Tara McLean), so he showed up in the office before the show, and offered anyone who would take it private passes. A couple of us got to go there, then hang out afterwards for the grip-and-grin... and we hit it off, so Alex invited me and my buddy golfing the next day. (In case you didn't know, my forum name, NettData, comes from Nettwerk Records, as in I was in charge of all the IT shit as IT manager, as well as for Lilith Fair.

So yeah... even if he's not playing them any more, I'm still a huge fan.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but ran across this Wildwood Guitars YouTube channel... Greg Koch does a great/fun job of basically pimping their inventory.

He's a great player, and a fun host. I enjoy watching/listening to him noodle around.

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Oh Lord...look at this bad ass beauty!

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Steve Vai held a “difficult” chord for so long (20 mins) that he suffered an injury and had to have surgery.

So now that one arm is in a sling, dude must be sidelined, right?

Fucking hell:

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

While Steve Vai is always impressive, why in the blue fuck would anyone hold a chord for 20 minutes?

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Dude is kind of losing it with his quest to become "one with the universe" and mediate around music.

But the dude is Steve Vai.

Saw a funny YT comment on that thread... "hey Steve, do you ever wake up and say to yourself, `Holy shit... I'm Steve Fucking Vai!` "

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just installed my new guitar hangers.

This is the collection I’ve amassed over the last 40 years or so, with the EVH being the only one missing.

With my Diamond record award for touring with Sarah on Surfacing.

I think I’m done now.

41634C2C-7B8F-40B1-8D06-13871E8AB353.jpeg