Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Musician's Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by iczorro, Apr 7, 2010.

1. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd wager you're better than you give yourself credit for.

I'm an acoustic rhythm guy; just can't seem to make sense of theory enough to play lead. So I've never considered myself to be very good despite playing in a band since 2005. I just figured I'm good enough for what they need. "When it comes to guitar, I'm a great vocalist" I've said.

But then again enough other sound guys and players have complimented me on my "style" that I realized I must be doing something right.

We're switching from a big band to a more stripped down, acoustic trio this year so it'll be interesting g to see what I can do when I'm not competing with a drum kit and electric guitar.

2. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So my son started taking lessons 2 weeks ago. His guitar is a beginners Peavey that came with a little 9v battery powered amp. We went by Guitar Center yesterday and got him a used Peavey Vypyr. Seems pretty cool, there are a ton of settings and effects built into it. Is the next step to get him a pedal for it? He's 15, so he's flying through the lessons and busy working on teaching himself to play songs he likes using tab apps on his tablet.

3. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can get effects pedals, but I personally think that’s overkill with an amp that’s filled with effects already.
    Unless you mean the control pedal that’s made for the amp - in that case, yes, get that. It’s called the Sanpera, and it lets you program different effects combos and recall them, plus it gives you a wah/volume pedal. Should be able to find it used online.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bootsy Collins and Alex Lifeson were in the studio together for some crazy funk mashup. Should be fun. I had no idea Bootsy is this tall. Alex is 6 feet and not a small dude, but Bootsy makes him look that way in this pic.
    [​IMG]

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Couple of old dudes ripping it up better than most ever will.... should be fun.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Brought my Les Paul Robot out of the closet and charged the battery.

You have no idea how frustrating it is that my guitars sit in the closet unused and my baby Marshall stack sits somewhere else equally unused. Fuck me running do I miss when my guitars and amp sat in my living room ready for when ever I felt like playing.

I really need to step it up on getting my house in Missouri built.

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When music event organizers tell you, "We'll provide the backline and drum kit", bring your own shit.

After all these years you'd think we'd know better by now. Except, it was a benefit and we weren't getting paid so we decided to take a chance.

We got to see a speaker ( perched on a bar table... in addition to monitors they didn't have stands ) go crashing to the floor, table and all mid song because of the vibrations from the bass plugged directly into it. By that point, nothing fazed us, we just kept going.

Despite all odds, the must gods smiled on us though and we killed it. Then GTFO.