Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mr. Robot

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rush-O-Matic, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In non-beautiful actress news . . .

Nice win for Rami Malek at the Emmy's last night. He looked genuinely surprised and grateful.
    http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Rami-Malek-Emmys-Acceptance-Speech-Video-2016-42414728

Thoughts . . .
    A) Allison Janney is a LOT taller than Malek.
    2) He reminds me of Bruno Mars?
    d) What a great speech. Well done. "please tell me you're seeing this too."

Viewers are droppping, so the timing of his win before the season finale this week may help?

Question about last week's episode: What was the deal with the door / door knob shot when Elliot left the apartment?

2. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God damn you Sam Esmail. On one hand, I'm really glad we got some true definitive answers to some big questions like whether or not Cisco survived, where the gifts to Joanna were coming from and the true status of Tyrell; but on the other hand I now have even more questions that I have to wait 9 long months to get an answer to.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought he did a pretty nifty trick, there with Tyrell. He IS alive, but he was NOT the one sending gifts.

And, I'm assuming everyone watched through the credits. Since he called Angela, then Tyrell had called Joanna at some point? The whole breathing-but-nobody there thing?

And, I really enjoyed seeing Elliot in Mr. Robot mode with Tyrell in the flashback. Gave some clarity to why people were willing to follow Elliot.

Can't wait to see what's up with Joey Bada$$'s character showing up at Fry's.

And, nice touch with the tyvex suit dude eating from the Red Wheelbarrow wrapper - same as the menu with the code last week.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anybody watch last night's season 3 premiere?

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just got caught up on it this morning. Good opening episode; interested to see how they play the dichotomy between Elliot and Mr. Robot once he/they're working at eCorp. Also, is Angela the first person outside of Elliot to acknowledge that there are in fact two separate personalities? Can't recall if Darlene ever made mention of it or not.

The use of "Touch" in that final scene was pretty cool as well. Sam's choice of music in this show has been one of the best subtle things I've seen on TV in quite a while.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There were 4 or 5 F-bombs, so I guess you can say that on USA now. There wasn't any Stephanie Corneliussen, though.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

They always could, they just chose not to. The FCC only regulates the networks. Cable channels can do whatever they want, they had decided to play by the same rules previously. Its nice to know USA thinks adults can handle "fuck." Looking at you, AMC. You'll show two people getting their head bashed in by a barbed wire-laden baseball bat, but youll mute that characters saying fuck. I love it.

I keep thinking Im missing something here too. Was that the first episode that Angela even acknowledged Mr Robot? It was just so abrupt, I couldnt tell. And has Tyrell Wellick been around the entire time, just Elliot is such an unreliable narrator we never knew? Im glad they didnt make him another personality of Elliot. That would have been stupid.

8. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow. This show packs more plot in 30 minutes than shows like The Walking Dead do in 3 seasons.

The whole Joanna death scene was awesomely shot. I wasn't surprised that she died, but totally wasn't expecting it in that decisive manner. Au revoir Stephanie Corneliussen; your terrifying beauty will be missed.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I really need to find time to start this season... probably will tonight

10. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first episode was really good. The second blows it away. It's only 2 episodes in, but this season feels much more like season 1 in its pacing compared to season 2.

Also... B.D. Wong. How the fuck is that dude 57? He looks younger than me.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

CRAAAAAAAAAP. Crap, crap, crap. There better be some nekkid flashbacks or something. Crap.

I was more disappointed she's gone - Stephanie Corneliussen, not the character - than I was disturbed that a parent let them spatter fake blood all over their crying baby's face. "Well, I guess we've got our Christmas card for this year!"

12. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if anybody watched the most recent episode live, but holy shit. Cinematically speaking that was quite an intense 45 minutes.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I DVR'd it, but watched it straight through. That was pretty cool, especially the overhead shots of Angela. I know they didn't actually do it one take, but I had been watching for about 15 minutes when I thought, wait, that's the same shot for this whole time? How they must've rehearsed out the camera and movements of anybody else needed to get on and off the elevators, and avoid reflections, and stuff like that, was impressive.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tonight was far and away my favorite of the season so far. Writing and acting with no effects, cyber talk or anything else. Other dramas should take notes. That was a clinic.

15. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought this weeks episode was just okay. Personally I preferred last week as the best of the season so far. Maybe I'm just putting too much into two specific scenes of the whole episode, (Whiterose and Price in the club, and the final scene with Trent and Mobley) but the level of tension and drama in those two scenes was much more than anything this week. B.D. Wong better get a god damn Emmy for his work this season.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't disagree with your assessment of last week's episode, but the dialogue in the mosque with Elliot and the kid was superb. And, that whole "fly-in-the-ointment vibe" that Rami Malek played out by the kid interrupting his plans to kill himself was just fantastic. The kid did fine, but it was Malek's acting chops that allowed that clearly uncomfortable, got him on edge feel.

Like, the Whiterose and Price club scene was indeed tense and dramatic, and the swelling music and background noise and gritted teeth dialogue, not know if somebody was about to rain bullets or explosions down was the exact opposite of Elliot talking to the kid. Maybe that's why it stood out for me, was because it didn't rely on a frenetic pace or the sword of Damocles to engage the viewer. Angela barely said anything when they were back-to-back on the door, and they were separated by wood and sheetrock, but it was very intimate.

I guess that's why I'm enjoying the season more: one week I'm admiring crazy one-shot camera angles, the next you don't know who's getting the bullet, and the next it's an homage to St Elmo's Fire.

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been sitting on 2 seasons of Mr. Robot for a while now and have recently gotten through the first season and a couple episodes into season 2.

Tell me, does Angela Moss ever become a compelling character? Because she basically ruins the fucking show for me. The first couple episodes she came across as a somewhat compelling friend. Then it's like she falls off a cliff, and she really, really doesn't pull off this narcissistic ladder climber very well. Every time she stutters to a verbal halt, which is, you know, every single scene she's in, it makes me scream internally. I find her character to be completely forgettable and it actively detracts from the show.

edit: to be clear, I understand this girl has some kind of plan going, I'm saying that her character is annoyingly acted and comes across poorly. If she's an evil genius with a great plan, she acts far too stupid.

#77 Binary, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Season 2 of Mr Robot was more of a chore to get through. Season 3 is really good. One episode in particular is a tense hour of TV I haven’t seen the like of since the tracking shot from True Detective season 1.

I think Angela gets better once it’s comes out what her plan is. It’s Darlene I can’t stand. With Rami Malek getting big, I wonder how many seasons they do.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And, Angela's character is a big part of that particular episode. So, to answer your question, Binary, yes, but never as compelling as Elliot.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't find the story arc to be annoying. I understand they're all damaged people and often working at odds with each other; bad decisions are a core plot point. I just feel like Angela's character is either too smart to be as dumb as she is, or too dumb to be as smart as she is. And if Vacant Prolonged Stare #62 is actually written into the script, then she's the victim of shitty writing.

I can find the motivation in nearly all of the bad choices made by the various characters, but hers seem to be rooted too much in stupidity. Which would be okay if she weren't obviously written to be an intelligent person with a plan.