Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mr. Robot

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rush-O-Matic, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm dumping all this here, because it deserves its own thread. This show is good stuff, and it is indeed taking some interesting turns just two episodes in. I was expecting a little something like that, but I did not see that last 10 seconds coming.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alrighty. Well, I wasn't expecting to see
    naked men butt sex
    either. This show is pretty unique, imho.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, that was a bit of an unexpected turn... lots of American Psycho quality stuff in that character.

I also noticed more that the Christian Slater character is not being noticed by anyone else... in the office, nobody noticed him or even looked at him, and neither did the bartender when ordering the appletini. Didn't even glance at Slater when he was making his comments about the drink. If there's one thing that any bartender does, it's constantly scan the people and their drinks sitting at the bar, and he didn't even glance his way.

The more I see, the more I tend to believe the "figment of his imagination" concept.

4. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I noticed the lack of attention paid to Slater's character, too. No one has called him Mr. Robot, no one has acknowledged him. There was also the time when Elliot arrived at the HQ or whatever and asked angry hacker chick where her boss was and she looked confused and said "cut the shit..." Gave me a real "Fight Club" vibe, and Mr Robot is Elliot's Tyler Durden.

It's definitely Christian Slater behind the mask in the F Society videos they play online, so the twist is that is Elliot and no one is recognizing him, not even himself. He is so desperate to take down Evil Corp for killing his dad he created an alter ego to justify it.

Then there was Elliot falling off the pier. Maybe that was a suicide attempt, and Mr. robot shoving him was more like his own guilt over betraying his father's trust.

Then again it seems set up almost too perfectly, maybe THAT is the twist: we're supposed to believe Mr Robot is a figment of Elliot's imagination, but Mr. Robot is real.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I definitely thought it was actually the figment / fight club style during the scene Nett was talking about in the office. The company is All Safe and they specialize in security, and have ID badges with swipe entry cards hanging around their necks. Surely, Christian Slater wouldn't be allowed to just walk into that office and plop down at a work station, right?

6. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I really hope the 'Mr. Robot is a figment of his imagination/projection of himself' thing is a red herring. It seems like too easy an out for a twist this early on in the series. I expect more.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This one was weird for the sake of being weird, it seems. I'm not sure that advanced the plot in any way, really. All it did was set up the fact that
    that they're going to sneak in and install temperature controls.
    Didn't really do it for me.

8. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ya this entire episode was nothing but filler. The writers were either trying to waste time or be "stylish" and "artistic". It did not measure to the previous episodes in my opinion.

9. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did not enjoy the latest episode. Aside from being kind of confusing here and there, not much happened and...
    apparently he detoxes in the motel room and just hallucinates going to get drugs, getting shot, and having a "just got shot" dream about a bunch of unexplained "hints". Whatever. I was paying more attention because of this thread and noticed that Mr. Robot doesn't interact with other people, except conveniently in the apparently hallucinated drug-seeking trip? Bleh
    Though the "next week" blip shows Mr. Robot smashing stuff.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My understanding was the whole "addict" focus was to show how most hackers have an addictive personality, and get a big rush from hacking. Which is actually somewhat true.

One of the things about programming/hacking is that you get instant feedback, and when you finally get something working, it's a bit of a rush. Some hacker-types are addicted to that rush, and have generally addictive personalities, and can't stop.

Still, I think that episode was a bit of a selfish directorial circle-jerk that didn't advance the story all that much, unless it sets something up for a future episode... regardless, I kind of got bored and tuned out.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Slater's character turns out to be a figment, it's pretty dumb to name the show after the figment. I did the same thing, silway.
    During the hallucination, which I wasn't totally sure what was real, I was like, oh, hey, he just talked to somebody who talked back. Then, the whole scene turned out to be a figment.

12. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've been trying to figure out what the purpose of the morphine storyline is since episode 1. It didn't seem to really be meaningful besides getting him hooked up with the dealer chick, but that could have been orchestrated in any number of more plausible ways. When I saw this episode I was thinking "if the whole payoff of the drugs storyline is this withdrawal scenario, that is very, very lame."

Your explanation is the best I've heard so far for this plot line, I hadn't thought of those parallels.

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So there seemed to be quote a bit of communication with Slater's character.

Are we still thinking that he's not real? I could have sworn that he just wasn't real.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, the other characters definitely interacted with him. Elliot is the only real one, and all the other hackers, including Slater, are different personalities of Elliot?

15. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I still think Mr. Robot is imaginary. other characters don't address him when he's alone with them (the van scene), and during the whole Coney Island meltdown scene, Elliot is in the background as if only a spectator, which was very much like Fight Club. Then when they switched places, again Mr. Robot only talks to Elliot and nobody else seemed to be aware of him.

16. Mrquickfoot

Mrquickfoot
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Best show on TV atm and its not even particularly close. Gives no fucks and is so refreshingly unlike anything else on TV atm. Bravo USA for having the balls to let Sam esmail do his thing unencumbered.

17. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm actually starting to cool to it. The episodes have been good, by and large, but as a larger narrative it's kinda losing me. It feels like it's already meandering too much. I like arcs and stories more than I do character studies, so the story of the wacky hijinks of a crazy hacker aren't as compelling to me as the story of how that hacker went and did [thing].

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, that one definitely changed tone. There was a heck of a lot more action this time around.
    Shame about Shayla, though. I don't see Elliot letting that one go.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mr. Robot had two
    different dialogues with two different characters in this episode. So, he's real. Well, as real as any of the other characters,
    because I don't know what the hell is going on there. The opening flashback scene was well done, and felt as raw as the final scene, though for different reasons.

I don't really get why
    Wellick killed the CTO's wife, though. Misplaced rage? It seemed that he lured her up there with an obvious plan in place, and he sure screwed that up.
    It's dumb for his character, but that also seems unnecessarily disconnected from the big story.

20. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to be a holdout on the status of Mr. Robot. Until there's a scene where a character addresses both Elliot and Mr. Robot at the same time, I'll believe he's a figment.