Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mo Money, Mo Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jul 15, 2019.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Looks like Alan Turing is Bank of England's new face of their 50 note.
    [​IMG]

Turing was a brilliant man with a long list of accomplishments and breakthroughs, including but not limited to mathematics, theoretical computational sciences, and theoretical biology. He was also chemically castrated for being busted for engaging in consensual homosexual acts. What a way to celebrate a war hero. He ended his life via suicide in 1954 and was posthumously pardoned for his "crimes" in 2013 by Queen Elizabeth II.

Focus: It seems like the only ones that get put on our money have a mixed life story of achievements and tragedy. Who would your pick be for the next face of $$? Especially if they are more obscure, tell us their story.

Alt Focus: All about Alan Turing. I know a very basic summary of his life, but know that each of his achievements were individually great and took organized effort, dedication, intelligence, and intellectual curiosity. Celebrate the man! Share with us some niche Turing knowledge.

2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I'd suggest WW2 hero Maj. Richard Winters who is recognized as a hero on both sides of the Atlantic. Everything I've ever read about the man and how he was revered by the troops makes me admire him that much more

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

WWII was a big suckfest for those involved. Do you know anything about Winters' personal tragedy? Tell us why he deserves to be the new face of money.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not niche, but I enjoyed the film Imitation Game with Cumberbatch.

5. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't say I'm familiar with personal tragedies he may have endured. My vote for him would be based on his heroism, character and the esteem of so many.

If personal tragedy is a firm requirment, I'll have to think about it some more.

#5 walt, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

MLK seems like the obvious choice. I can't think of a single American who so completely embodied his era, and of course, it's one of the more important time periods in American history.

For something more fun, and more 'Murican though, I would like to see Daniel Boone, and the image would be of a panther leaping at him while he blasts it in the chest at point blank range. Folklore, or not, I feel like that captures the American spirit quite well.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I think it'd be cool to have a picture of Roof Koreans on a dollar bill. Robin Williams would also be a good choice. I'm a firm believer in the healing power of humor, how it can bring us together as a people and help us bond over such a base emotion. And I think Robin Williams really exemplifies that. We could put his face on a $69 bill and help stimulate the economy as well! As for the tragic part of his story though.... I'm really hung up on that. Your guess is as good as mine.