Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tennessee, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just a friendly reminder to please spoiler shit for a couple of days so everyone can have a chance to see it.

2. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I hear you man I was a Vera fan too. This fight was such a disappointment I had so much faith in him.

3. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Im double posting I have to.

Nobody likes a draw I'm so frustrated right now. I wander if there going to do Edgar vs Pettis first then the winner of that fights Maynard or If there going to just do Edgar vs Maynard 3 then winner fights Pettis? Dana White certainly has quite a decision to make. I would like to see the latter but Pettis deserves his shot as well.

4. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Dana said he's making Edgar-Maynard 3 and then Pettis will fight that winner.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I scored the fight as a draw. Rounds 1 and 3 for Maynard with the first round a 10-8, and rounds 2, 4, and 5 for Edgar.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I agree. Granted, I didn't pay super close attention during the fight to score it bang on, but I find it hard to refute the draw based on what I saw.

And just how fucked up was Vera's nose?!?!? It was fucking awesome how he gave the camera a full, multi-angle shot of it though.

And I'm SO glad Barone got fucked up. I can't stand that asswipe.

By the way, we'll drop the spoilers as of tomorrow (Monday) morning.

6. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yea I just watched this morning and was extremly happy about it.

At the end of the fight I turned to my roommate and said "I have no idea" he just laughed. I really thought round one was a 10 -7 and by that account I would love to see a 10 - 7 round now. Dana says they are like unicorns but they exist, I just wish he could give us an example.

I am really stoked to hear about the rematch I have been a Maynard fan since TUF so seeing him crowned champ would just make my day.

7. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Nate Quarry v. Kalib Starnes at UFC 83; the third round was scored 10-7, and one judge scored it a 10-6 for Quarry. If anyone remembers that fight, Starnes claimed he was fighting with a broken foot and spent the entire third round running away from Quarry.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Mmmmmm..... nose bustage.

[​IMG]

Anyone else watch Inside MMA? Just catching up on a few episodes right now, and am quite enjoying their "best of" year-end wrap-up.

Always been a big Bas fan.

9. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

UFC 126 tonight. I got Silva, Franklin and Jones to win. Everyone's predicting Franklin to go down but I have a feeling he is going to out think and out move Griffin. What say you?

Also for Nettdata A quick reminder after the fights post with the spoiler tag or I'm sure Nettdata will chop your boys off haha.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Holy fuck I can't believe Franklin got knocked the fuck out in the first 20 seconds!

11. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you have to spoiler things when they're wrong?
    Jones looked spectacular. Anderson while I really wanted him to lose pulled that front kick out of the air. Lulled Belfort into the Never Never and he never recovered. Fantastic.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Anyone watch the Strikeforce event this weekend?

Fuck. Arlovski got knocked the FUCK out by Kharitonov. I've always liked Andre, but it seems that this might be his last fight.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/2/14/1993099/doctor-andrei-arlovski-should-not-be-medically-cleared-to-fight-again" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/2/14/19 ... ight-again</a>

13. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep. Here was what I wrote to my friend;

Antonio Silva has improved massively in his last couple of fights, and Fedor needed to be at his very best to beat him. Instead, he came in slower than he has in the past, whether due to age or not training well enough.

This was exposed in both the stand-up (which was even, despite Fedor being more technical and faster) and when he was on his back. Fedor is generally one of the best in the world off his back, but didn't look like it against Silva. Part of it is that Silva is a BJJ black belt and huge, powerful guy that fights very intelligently, but part of it was on Fedor.

Griggs vs. Villante was a couple of small, second or even third-rate heavyweights wildly throwing haymakers like a couple of drunks at the local bar.

I was only an amateur boxer, but I winced at the awful technique on display there, especially the way Griggs stood with his head straight up, just waiting to get knocked out. Pawing strikes from Villante, awful footwork from both men, slow reactions. And when Villante landed one of the laziest, crappiest, most telegraphed kicks I have ever seen, I just had to laugh. Yuck!

As for Arlovski versus Kharitinov, Andrei Arlovski has been shot for several fights now. He was thoroughly embarrassed in a one-sided humiliation by Antonio Silva, and his reaction time and timing just looks to be completely gone, probably due to brain damage suffered from multiple knockouts.

Kharitinov isn't very good either, and was semi-retired from MMA, concentrating on the occasional K-1 bout. He is pretty lethargic and slow these days, and tends to only throw one punch instead of more combinations.

Granted, in MMA, you have to be more of a one punch sniper than combo artist in the stand-up because of the threat of a shot, but that wasn't an issue against Arlovksi.

Anyways, Kharitinov proved he was less washed-up than his opponent!

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Holy uneventful UFC Batman.

Just watched UFC 127, and have to say it was quite the snoozefest, for the most part.

Glad to see Bisping win his fight, but you know there's going to be an asterix beside it because of that knee to the head. I like the guy, and as cocky as he can appear, I think he works hard and does a great job. His cardio was insane, as it has been for the past few fights, and it's nice to see he's learning how to keep his hands up. He still tends to walk into right hands, but it seems to be getting better. It's like he sees the right hand coming, and immediately tries to counterpunch. He just runs into some SERIOUS right hands every now and then and gets knocked the fuck down.

Penn / Fitch was fucked up. Didn't enjoy it at all. A majority draw? Fuck that. I was looking forward to it being a good fight and was majorly disappointed.

Hands down the best fight of the night, I thought, was the undercard heavyweight fight between Hunt and Tuchschererer(sp?).

"There's something hanging down in my eye". "Yeah, it's your eyelid". "FUCK!"

I could not BELIEVE that the doctor let him continue. I think Rogan even said "WOW, that UFC doctor has BALLS". No shit!

I love the fact that the doc let them continue, and he then almost took the match with a fucked up attempt at an arm submission. He clearly did not know how to pull it off, and he was dumping huge amounts of his own blood over everything.

And then Hunt with that fucking uppercut knockout. Awesome. He hit, then just walked away before the guy was even all the way down, because he knew it was the money shot.

Yep, fight of the night in my books.

Attached Files:

15. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Couldn't disagree more, I think the guy is a total fucking asshat in every way, he talks mad shit before every fight and continues to do so after, but gets all butthurt when anyone makes fun of him. For christ sake he was still shit talking Jorge while he was still coming too and even after he tried to do the "hug it out" thing after the fight. He should be thanking Rivera, his shit talking is the only reason anyone wanted to watch that fight in the first place.

They should match him up with Sonnen, he'll lose before the fight even starts from an anger related heart attack.

I'd also like to see Bisping against another power striker. I could watch this all day.
    [​IMG]

Edit- I just changed my avatar to show my disdain for all things Bisping.

16. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bisping needs to keep his stupid British mouth shut. He's only beaten the cans that the UFC hands him[outside the rioded out at the time Leben and even then he really didn't beat him as much as get a decision] so he can be a big hype in the UK. Yes he has good cardio but that's it, he will never have a belt around him. When he's up against someone decent[Wand and Hendo] he gets destroyed. Guy is a total lack of class after one of the worst illegal blows I've saw and then spitting at Riveras corner.

As far as the main event
    I really thought Fitch took a close decision. It's what he's awesome at, just grinding out wins. GSP is the same style but with 1/4 the action of Fitch but yet Fitch gets booed for it.

17. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. T W

T W
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Wow. I've been slightly out of the loop the past couple months, but I had no idea this was coming.

Fedor? Mousasi? Yes, please!

19. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think anyone thought this was going to happen so soon. I'd love to know what the UFC paid since Strikeforce is probably at it's peak value RIGHT NOW.

Whoever actually makes the business decisions for Zuffa is a genius. They figured out a way to acquire their biggest competitor, acquire fighters that they've wanted FOREVER, and all without damaging the UFC brand.

For fighters this is a huge blow. Japanese shows don't pay when you fight and their only big money MMA opportunity stateside is Bellator which isn't in the same league. Does this mean Dan Henderson starts fighting for $20k main event purses in Shark Fights? Maybe.

20. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All current SF contracts will be honored. I think the idea behind the purchase is getting more TV contracts. I also think that SF will get folded into the UFC much like WEC did.