Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tennessee, Oct 21, 2009.

1. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, what you described is basically athleticism coupled with reaction time. The reason the term "transitions" is stupid and misleading is that the same advantages apply when a guy is punching and goes to kick, or changes levels for a takedown. He's not "transitioning to a different style" there; he's just using his naturally faster reactions and superior athleticism.

He has an awful lot to improve upon with his striking. He has a bunch of holes and deficiencies in his BJJ too, and is particularly poor from his back. But it doesn't matter most of the time, because he makes up for a lot of that with his world-class wrestling.

By the way, everything I just wrote there about GSP applies just as well to Kos. They're two fighters in the exact same mold.

And I'm not making a prediction on this fight either way; I just feel it's very close, and both men have a roughly equal chance.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just a small reminder to put anything about tonight's UFC fight in spoiler tags for the next couple of days.

Those of us that won't see it until later appreciate it.

3. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

4. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'd say that jab of his was a hell of an improvement.

5. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Indeed it was. I wasn't expecting GSP's striking to look that much better, or conversely, Kos's to look so bad. I predicted the fight wrong, and to me, what happened was quite shocking. I thought the two were very equal and the fight would be close. Physically, there's no reason that Kos couldn't have made that happen. However, his improvement have been nil since the Anthony Johnson fight over a year ago, while GSP has clearly been working hard to get better.

That's why he's the champion.

6. p00g0blin

p00g0blin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was pissed GSP didn't finish the fight. The undisputed pound-for-pound best fighter didn't take down/submit/knockout the one-eyed bullshitter, Josh Bitchcheck. Although he got his eye fucked and lost the fight, I thought it was a let down.

Went 6-0, for predictions. That's a solid win.

Anybody else enjoy the shit out of the Riddle vs. Pierson match-up? One of the most comical fights I've ever seen.

WEC: Henderson vs Pettis tomorrow. Predictions?

7. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Stoked my fighter gets his title shot on ufc 125 Gray Maynard Vs Frankie Edgar. Any predictions for this fight?

8. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Personally I'm guessing Maynard by the same method as the first fight, he's just a much bigger and stronger wrestler. The last time they fought people were saying Frankie should drop to 145, I'm thinking this discussion is brought up again after this fight, it's an awful match up for Edgar since you know Maynard will be willing to eat some of his fast punches to get the TD, neutralizing the speed advantage.

9. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's hard for me to be objective about this fight because I'm a big Edgar fan. That being said, I think Edgar's footwork will win this for him. His takedown defense against BJ Penn looked great and although Maynard is a much better wrestler than Penn, I think Edgar can play keep-away well enough to remain relatively safe from the takedown. I don't remember their first fight well enough, but if Edgar can effectively employ his stick-and-move style, he should win. On the other hand, if Maynard can take Edgar down and keep him down, he'll likely win a decision.

10. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need to watch a few of their fights again to decide on who I think will win, but if Maynard triumphs, it will make it that much more obvious that UFC desperately needs some rule changes. Quality MMA is already 90 percent wrestling at this point, and there are more and more stalling wrestlers having great success, especially those that get in the fetal position whenever their attempt is stuffed.

I love wrestling and respect its foundation in any type of fighting, but thanks to the rules, it's artificially dominant.

11. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Interesting I am a huge Gray Marnard fan. Been watching him since The Ultimate Fighter. He just has the endurance and wrestling that triumphs all else in my opinion. I really wanted to see if he could beat BJ though I thought that was his biggest test but lets see if he can take the title first.

12. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't worry dude, I'M picking Maynard, clearly Edgar is going to win as a result.

Seriously though, I agree with you on the rules, the no knees to the head of a downed opponent thing allows wrestlers to shoot for double legs against anyone who isn't a world class striker with impunity. Sadly though, we'll be lucky to let the rules remain as they are, the commissions would probably rather look to add rules to take away the advantages of wrestlers than take a away the rules that give them the artificial edge.

Funny you mention this, I called wrestling a martial art in front of one of my TKD (I use to train with him) buddies and he absolutely flew off the handle when I said it. The funny thing is he has no problem calling Judo a martial art, maybe we can just give wrestling moves Asian sounding names and open a school.

13. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even when knees and kicks to the head of a downed opponent were allowed, the wrestler still had a large artificial advantage.

The best way to stop takedowns that aim for the hips is a straight elbow down to the back of the head, and an ankle pick is countered by a punch downwards to the back of the head. That's not to say that allowing such strikes would make wrestlers useless in top-flight MMA, or that many wouldn't use more Greco-Roman takedowns instead, but it would far more closely approximate a real fight, and not a made-up one.

Ha. He should try fighting against a wrestler, getting slammed onto his head a few times, and see if he still doesn't consider "wrestling" a valid, effective fighting base.

I think that just about every "martial art", the more serious forms of karate included, take grappling into some account.

14. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

HOLY HELL PETTIS! That was the most ridiculous kick I've ever seen! What a fight for the WEC to end on.

15. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The poster above me spoilered it, good on him but if you don't watch WEC do yourself a favor and watch their last event. I love MMA and have practiced it in the past. Never in the history of sparring or watching or being constantly amazed by peoples creativity in the cage have I run around my flat screaming and yelling at the awesomness I just witnessed in round 5 of the Petis/Henderson fight. GO WATCH IT FUCKERS!!!

16. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gifts delivered:
    [​IMG]

17. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From a different angle, that shit was insane
    [​IMG]

18. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dominick Cruz and Frankie Edgar should open a gym called Team Footwork. Great performance from the new UFC Bantamweight champ. I wouldn't mind seeing Cruz and Faber as the next TuF coaches.

I hope Ken Stone is okay. That slam was brutal.

19. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Guys, I think I have just watched the worst decision in the history of MMA. Sadly, it occurred in a Russian M-1 event, and featured a young Russian fighter that I follow;

"Robbery" would be the understatement of the century here. I feel incredibly sorry for Pat Bennett; he got a win-bonus from M-1 anyways, and has submitted a formal appeal, but...wow. Wow.

#99 KIMaster, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man. I so so so want to have faith in Brandon Vera. The guy showed so much promise initially in the UFC. He has just looked like shit in his last 3 or 4 fights. I'm pretty sure this is your last chance to retain me as a fan Brandon.