Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tennessee, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Tennessee

Tennessee
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

We definitely need this thread back. It makes it much easier to keep up with what's going on.

Focus: Post anything and everything going on in the world of MMA.

nettdata edit: FYI, most (if not all) of the hard-core MMA fans and contributors from the old board have fired up their own forum. You can find it here: http://saturn.phpwebhosting.com/~instre ... /index.php

2. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This was never a thread, it was a whole forum. One thread will turn into a massive clusterfuck, and though your intentions are good, it just can't work.

The guys from 4OTF have their own board running now--perhaps one of the powers that be around here should see if they want to come back into the over here.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

4. Morblitz

Morblitz
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm not sure how appropriate this is to the MMA thread, but I've found it really difficult finding any decent discussion on the Keysi Fighting Method. It's a self defense style originating from spain, and I started training in it earlier this year. So far I really enjoy it, especially since a back injury prevents me from keeping up with other really physically demanding martial arts/self defense like Judo. KFM is influenced by Jeet Kun Do a fair bit.

The reason I post this here is because it's currently being adapted for MMA, despite being a self defense program designed to protect you if you some way or another, find yourself involved in a fight in the street.

The whole concept revolves around extreme close quarters combat, utilizing elbow strikes early and often, punches, kicks, and grabs, all the while protecting the most valuable part of your your body that people tend to aim for, the head. It also teaches to use that protective covering -the normal reaction you have when someone attempts to hit your face, you cover up with your arms - as a weapon. My brother does KFM with me on top of Judo, and says it really compliments Judo's requirement of getting very close to grab your opponent, especially since Judo doesn't teach striking or blocking. Of course, we are both fairly knew to all this, and are still just training. My brother's working his way up the Judo belt ladder and recently competed in the Australian Uni games.

I've found it to be pretty effective and easy to get into, of course that's just my experience so far.
    It's not all too well known just yet, and there are only two schools that teach it in Australia, and If I recall correctly, about 10 or so in America. It's a pretty controversial style, a lot of people either love it or hate it. I'd be interested in seeing what you guys think of it good or bad.

Here's a KFM blog run by an Instructor in Dallas who is either a former or current cop. It has some pretty good insight into the style as it has a viewpoint from someone involved in the policeforce.

I understand if this isn't relevant. If so, please delete (or move?) it.

5. youaresomoney

youaresomoney
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Thanks for the link.

I'll update the other posts where the old forum is mentioned.

If anyone sees one that I missed, please PM me and let me know.

7. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Such a shame that they didn't come over here and get a few new forums made. WillyDuer's post about the issue of everyone going their separate ways sounded like it wasn't the desired result by many people (although he also said some were against staying together under one message board). I'm sure if enough talk had been made sooner, we'd be back to square one, save for the Writing Forum.

On that note, I don't know shit about MMA. Carry on.

8. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree, I wish we didn't need to go to another site, just for MMA.

9. The Supervillain

The Supervillain
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Seems like the injuries are never ending in the UFC. Lil' Nog withdrew from his fight with Brandon Vera at UFC 109 due to a fractured ankle. While this certainly would have been an exciting fight the alleged replacement isn't half bad. Jon Jones is apparently taking the fight in Nog's stead. And speaking of Jones, he's trying to appeal his disqualification (which resulted in his first and only career loss) from the Matt Hamill fight. At best it will be ruled a no contest, at worst the decision stays. Any thoughts on whether the DQ was fair or not?

10. Joe-Diddle

Joe-Diddle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Obviously the point should of been deducted, and the cut attended to. Then if the doctor deemed Hamill's cut rendered him unable to continue after that, fair enough; DQ Jones.

The problem was that fucking moron Mazagatti was crouching over a DEAF PERSON, who couldn't see because of the pooled blood in his eyes, asking if he was okay. THEN he waved the fight off.

11. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sonnen pissing positive just makes me happy. I have nothing against the guy on a personal level, I just hate lay 'n' pray fighters. The weird thing is that he warned the commission before he was tested that he might get a positive result. So what the fuck happened there?

12. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't hate the fighters, hate Zuffa for refusing to work with state athletic commissions, several years after it became obvious that a stalling wrestling approach was the optimal winning style in the the UFC. (And don't even get me started on how idiotically their judges score a takedown) The absolute least they could do is add knees to a downed opponent, which would allow a fighter to punish a stuffed shot.

I respect Sonnen; he has elevated his boxing to decent status, and is far superior with his top control and sub defense than he was at the beginning of his career. Even if he took banned substances, that's no different than the overwhelming majority of fighters at one point or another.

13. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Like I said, I have nothing against the guy, I just hate lay 'n' pray fighters. He's an amazing wrestler, but he's a grinder like Fitch and his fights are boring as all hell.

I agree that the judging needs a massive overhauling. Takedowns count for too many points and the 9-6 o'clock elbow should be legal because it does an equal amount of damage as a regular elbow. It just looks scarier which is why the commission banned it. Some of the Pride FC rules should be integrated into the sport (like knees to a downed opponent and bicycle kicks) to make it more balanced for non-wrestlers but Dana is piss positive on making the UFC as "sophisticated" as possible to avoid all the "human cockfighting" comments. Bicycle kicks and knees to a downed opponent look too brutal to an observer so he'll never petition the commission to change it.

On a related note, Cecil Peoples should be tarred, feathered and run out of town. Sherk lost that fight to Dunham on Saturday. I know that two judges scored it for Sherk so Peoples doesn't deserve all the blame, but he specifically has been on the wrong end of too many controversial calls to be written off.

14. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is this a UFC thing or a US athletic commission thing? I always thought the commissions were the ones that decided these rules, not Dana and the UFC.

[​IMG]

15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actually the 12-6 o'clock elbow DOES do more damage than a regular elbow, which is why fighters often try to use that one first. That being said, the UFC has been very lenient with allowing it, especially when John McCarthy was their main referee. (He talked in an article about having no problem with the 11-5 o' clock version)

The UFC's current ruleset doesn't have shit to do with Dana or Zuffa. They were enacted by the New Jersey state athletic commission in 2000 back when SEG (Sempahore Entertainment Group) owned the company. They sold the company to the Fertittas a short while later. And let's be honest; Dana couldn't care less about whether the UFC is "human cockfighting" or not. (What the fuck does that idiotic term even mean?) It's just an angle from which to portray himself sympathetically.

16. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

17. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The link doesn't contradict what I wrote; the 11-5 o'clock elbow is very close to the 12 to 6 o'clock elbow, which is why the doctor worded his response that way, and something that the refs have also been warning against since McCarthy left. But just use your common sense; the 12 to 6 o'clock has an entire fighter's weight and muscle behind the strike. The more you turn it sideways, the more awkward and ineffective the strike becomes.

Ask any Muy Thai guy, and they will tell you; a 12 to 6 o'clock elbow delivered to the back of the head when the other guy has a hold around your hips could easily be an instant knockout. Now imagine that same power raining down on the dome of the skull, or a fighter's face.

It's something I would like to see legalized, but let's not kid ourselves; it's a more powerful blow than any presently legal downward elbow. That may not jeopardize fighter safety, since I believe accumulation of blows is worse than a fast KO, but judge it for what it truly is.

18. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I am a Muay Thai guy and any elbow strike has the potential for a one hit KO, regardless of angle. That's why if you watch a fight in Thailand you'll see they rarely use elbows out of professional courtesy since the concussion or even the cut from one elbow can be so devastating that a fighter will be out of competition for a while, hence not getting paid, hence not being able to support his family.

I absolutely agree.

19. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Anybody watch WEC 51 last night?

I was very disappointed with Garcia and Varner. Garcia gassed mid-2nd round and Varner (who is supposed to be a division 1 wrestler) was thrown around like a rag doll by Cerrone... who should have been able to finish that fight. I think Cerrone just wanted to punish Varner for 3 rounds.

I'm not convinced that Torres is back to his old form. I'll reserve judgment until I see how he performs in his next fight.

Aldo looked as good as ever. Looks like he's adopted the Anderson Silva style of feeling-out-an-opponent-for-a-round-then-waiting-for-him-to-make-a-mistake-so-I-can-punish-the-fuck-out-of-him. Makes sense seeing as he trains with Silva.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Let's give MMA fights a couple of days or so with spoiler tags before talking about it in the open.

I've found that most people will torrent them and watch them later on.

Sound reasonable?