Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

MLB 2015

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by toytoy88, Mar 21, 2015.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    It has been done before, but not often. Maybe a couple of times in the last 100 years.

The trick is not just being able to have the velocity with both arms, but to be able to grip, release and execute different pitches. That boggles my mind.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Another stud rookie called up:

Carlos Correa, No. 1 pick in 2012 draft, to join Astros on Monday

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The other ones I've seen had very different deliveries. Like, one side was more traditional and the other side was more side arm or something. Venditte's set up and delivery from both sides is remarkably similar. Even great consistent switch hitters like Chipper Jones and Eddie Murray had different swings and approaches from each side. (I don't know about Murray, but Chipper used a different bat color, wood and weight.) I remember watching Tim Raines, and he was like two different hitters, completely. So, yeah, to pitch effectively, and similarly from both sides is just crazy rare.

In that clip, the graphic called it the "Venditte Rule," but that rule has been in place for several years now, so I thought it was odd. It turns out that they officially made it a rule in 2008 . . . when Venditte was drafted by the Yankees and pitched in a minor league game that caused confusion. So, it's also a cool story that he's stuck with it. (He was originally drafted by the Yankees the previous year, but wanted to finish college at Creighton and develop his arm more.) The story that prompted the creation of the rule:

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

After going 2-4 in his first game with the M's, Trumbo has been on base exactly 0 times since, giving him (Including his 2 games with AZ before the trade) an .049 OBP for the month.

At least they finally sat Rodney's dumb ass down.

#64 toytoy88, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Five days after switch-pitcher Pat Venditte made his big league debut with Oakland, Cleveland drafted Judson University's Ryan Perez, who has been clocked at over 90 mph from both sides -- lefty and righty. He was 4-1 with a 4.61 ERA this season as a junior at the NAIA school and was the Cape Cod League All-Star game MVP last summer.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

9. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. voltronman

voltronman
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

When McGwire cheated it wasn't explicitly against the rules. MLB has always had a tough stance against gambling.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

There is a very good reason for it. In every major league clubhouse there is a sign that basically says "If you bet on baseball, you are banished.For life." These signs have been there for generations. Up until recently that was the only action that could get you a lifetime ban.

Also, as best I remember, what McGwire was using wasn't officially a banned substance when he was using it.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With the All Star game in Cincinnati in a few weeks this is all you'll hear about.

13. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a fellow Cincinnatian, did you try to get tickets for the game of the home run derby? I was looking for a while, and just couldn't justify dropping that kind of money for it.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For the 2000 All-star game in Atlanta, I applied and was selected to work as a volunteer. It was one of the most awesome things I have ever done. I could write pages and pages on what all fun and cool stuff I got to do. But the tldr version, is that I helped MLB reps, meet many, many legends of the game, got to help carry the big ol' American flag on the field for the game (bought game tix as a season ticket holder), got free tickets to the home run derby, got a bunch of cool logo gear free, and had blast with the insane guys and girls that wear the mascot costumes.

So, when the game comes to your town, if you like baseball, do whatever you can to sign up as a volunteer. (It's probably way too late for Cincinnati.)

15. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Can someone explain to me what the fuck is up with the Blue Jays? They've got the second best run differential in the majors yet are below .500. It's been this way all year.

16. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Back to Back All Star Game MVP for Mike Trout. I am not an Angels fan, but the way that young man performs on the big stage makes me want to see him in a World Series.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's the best player in baseball. It's amazing he's as out of the spotlight as he is.

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I get to watch him quite regularly since we get the feed to Angels games with our cable. It's quite a treat. Unless they're playing the Mariners. Then I fucking hate him.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't watch anything with the sound on when Joe Buck is calling the game. So, they may have said this last night and I didn't realize it . . . as far as wacky baseballs stats go, Trout's All-star record is unique. He has hit for the rare cycle:
    '12 = 1B
    '13 = 2B
    '14 = 3B
    '15 = HR

In order, and each in his first at bat. That's pretty cool. I guess in 2016, he'll need a BB or HBP.

20. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Manfred getting to know Erin Andrews
    [​IMG]