Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mindhunter

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Has anyone watched it? Its pretty good and fairly unique. It takes a very different approach to the police procedural idea and is similar in tone to True Detective since Fincher created it. I dont think I've seen the main character in anything else, but he looks like a cross between Dennis Reynolds and Milo Yiannopoulos.

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I binged it when it was first released, excellent series if not a bit of a slow burn. Netflix is cranking out some great shows.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah it's pretty good, some good character development, I'd agree the tone is True Detective-esque but lacks the truly dark Se7en horror tone I'd think would have made it a much bigger stand out. I thought some of the connections they made between the interviews and the unsolved cases they worked were a little obvious. Other than that, great cinematography, score/soundtrack, and bang up acting.

I kept thinking "In death members of project mayhem have a name, his name was Robert Paulson, his name was Robert Paulson" every time Tench was on the screen. I did enjoy some of the gratuitous nudity between the main character and his girlfriend, something Netflix has sort of shied away from as much as say HBO.

4. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The wife and I hammered through this show in three days, and it was glorious.

The guy playing Ed Kemper, good lord. If he's not directly related to the real Ed Kemper then I don't know what to say.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He embodies him very well for a giant Seth Rogan. In fact, all the actor embody the sickos they play very well, with great likenesses to boot.

I loved this show. Fincher isn’t showing off here, he cuts a razor-straight police drama with spine-tingling moments here and there. I like seeing long-time character actors kill it in a big role, Holt McNaly is completely believable and I like how they expand on his character as more than just the “seasoned curmudgeon”.

Netflix has another binge-worthy winner here. They really are giving HBO a run. Their made-for-network movies are far better than HBO and now their TV is comparable as well.

#5 Crown Royal, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  6. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hannah Gross.

That is all.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yessssssssssss

8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hell yes, been waiting for the new season.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s lookimg like the focus will continue on BTK, as well as adding Wayne Williams, David Berkowitz AND Manson.

And CHRIST what likenesses they have to the real killers.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This show is so awesome. People keep saying that Netflix is dwindling, I think their material has never been better. And since HBO has no flagship show they could really surge.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I rewatched the last season finale late as I’m starting season 2 tonight. I don’t know about you, but I find Ed Kemper hilarious.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

About 4 episodes in and it is still great. All the interrogation scenes are still amazingly done.

Netflix has a billion shows and all but a few of them are flat out, stop what you're doing and watch them, sort. Theyve saturated content so much it's working against them. OITNB one of their original blockbuster shows just had a final season come and go with little fan fare.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Netflix is Reddit where most of it sucks but if you sift you get the select few things you like. But those few things sure are great. That with its library of classics still makes it well worth the low price.

As soon as I knew The Irishman was a Netflix film a couple years back I finally bought it. On the basis of a single film I bought it but there are shows like Bojack Horseman and Mindhunter that alone make the fee well worth it. And the occasional good movie.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alright, I finished it.

Honestly, sort of underwhelming. The two main subplots stories were just not that engaging, Tench's son and Wendy's lesbian relationship (something shoe horned in I think because Netflix requires 2.5 LGTB plots per show). They certainly cast amazingly for Wendy for the complete ice queen resting bitch face look. Given the two routes they gave for her, dating someone or stepping up in the interviewing process, they chose poorly because her cold distance in the relationship and its outcome was super predictable. While her being thrown off her feet during the great interview was amazing.

Tench's son's plot was lack luster, luckily they decided to play the child actor as a mute so we were spared child actor BS. The strain on his relationship worked with the Atlanta investigation but I didn't care a scintilla about it outside of that.

I really wished theyd have just had more interviewing, the show just nails the tension so well in those scenes.