Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Million Dollar Hypothetical

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kubla Kahn, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Got this hypothetical posed to me the other day and boy it had me thinking and since giving up vices is a topic in the air recently. Being as it's grilling season this is for the meat eaters around here. If you were paid a million dollars tax free the only condition being you could never eat any sort of animal products again, basically a strict vegan diet with no meats or dairy(cheeeeeeese), could you do it? Failure would mean you'd have to pay the money back with interest. If a million isn't enough what would be a low end dollar figure for you?

Focus: Discuss.

2. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    350 million and I'll think about it.

3. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nope, fuck that.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Could I eat lab-grown meat or is that cheating? What if I accidentally use some product that was made with animals or whatever? Does it have to be on purpose?

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No animal products at all. Accidentally we be alright but obviously at some point if you were active in finding outlets like this it’d be cheating.

The original amount suggested by my coworkers was 5 million. An amount good enough that is outside what your average career is going to provide.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Since expensive and tasty food, including meats, is exactly what I would be spending that level of fortune on, I don't really see a dollar amount I'd take to give up meat. What am I going to buy with those millions, gold-plated tofu? It's a quality of life thing for me. So yeah, pass.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What would be the minimum crossover number? 10? 50? Never have to work again, family taken care of, etc

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

There isn't a crossover number. My family and I live fairly comfortably right now and nothing would make me to give up my carnivorous diet, aside from the obvious medical reasons if it came to that. Eating a dinner of quinoa and lentils on a private jet sounds like hell.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is no number. What would be the point of living anymore if I can't eat steak? If I were homeless and destitute, at least I'd still get Vienna sausages.

10. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know the number but it is definitely not 1 million. We have a friend that went crazy and went full vegan along with her kids and husband, and if we ever go over there for a birthday party or something there is only ever 1 edible dish.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What if I drink stagnant water that unknowingly contains a parasite?

What if I use a leather strap during BDSM and some of the leather material accidentally gets ingested?

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yep, this. It's a quality of life issue. I love to cook food. Then, I love to eat it. It's a nice hobby.

I also derive some level of satisfaction and joy out of working. Even when work sucks, I'd rather be working than not.

So in this scenario, I'm financially free, with I assume lots of free time. And now all I can daydream about is that fucking Conecuh sausage that I'm not allowed to eat, ever again.

Hard pass.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There will be exceptions for your gay deviant lifestyle.

14. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Hmm, it would be REALLY hard for me to give up cheese FOR-EV-ER, but I think I could do it for a cool 10 mil.

15. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Maybe for £100-200 million.

At that level I could afford to pay a Michelin starred chef to cook vegan food for me which is actually tasty (if that's possible).

Otherwise I couldn't go without meat, I love it too much.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’d do it for a million dollars, tax free, each year. No way I’d do it for one single payment of a mill.

If I’m gonna have to give up my entire diet, I’m gonna need to never work again, and keep my happiness/relaxation index waaaaay up there.

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I definitely wouldn't do it for a million. A million bucks isn't even enough to retire on in most places. Severely curtailing my diet for the rest of my life needs to get me to a comfortable retirement immediately.

But I think the "hundreds of millions" or "there is no number" crowd is insane. You wouldn't live with a diet in order to immediately and forever be financially comfortable with no obligations whatsoever? $20 million would let you instantly retire to any country on Earth and live comfortably doing whatever the fuck you want for the rest of your life. I don't hate my job, but I certainly would prefer to be eating pineapple fried rice on a beach than pork fried rice on my lunch break.

18. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not for a million, but enough to live off comfortably I would.

My wife is vegetarian so I’ve learned to adapt with some of my recipes. I’ll often keep the meat cooked separately and just add it to my dish at the end. Sometimes I’ll never even make meat.

I love bacon, steak, all that. But you do feel like shit after eating it. I’m not as fond of fish but I’ll choose a fresh fish market for dinner over Fogo De Chao most days now.

19. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How is this going to be enforced? Is someone going to follow you around for the rest of your life? Do you have to take some kind of tests periodically, like a drug test?

Because if there's any sort of leeway, I'd just take the money and cheat, same as I did with parole and probation.

20. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After doing an elimination diet, I learned a lot. This is far from the truth. The only things that make me feel like shit are sugar and flour. Coincidentally these are two things I no longer eat.

I think it would take ten million for me. There are lots of ways to have fun that aren’t eating. I’d just shift my focus to those.