Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Miller Vs Crosby Part 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigtom0404, Feb 28, 2010.

1. bigtom0404

bigtom0404
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A friend pointed out that Crosby and the Penguins next game is in Pittsburgh against Buffalo and Miller. This lead to a drunken fueled debate of "Will Crosby be booed at the home game and should he?"

I figure there is enough Canadians around here and probably enough American Hockey nerds around here to maybe get a poll going if the mods see fit?

2. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't care where you're from, who you are, or who you root for. You don't boo your home team. It is unacceptable.

Cheer, or keep your mouth shut. Chances are, in a week you'll be cheering that same person you're booing today.

3. Happy

Happy
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

My overzealous sports friend and I always engage in the classic "Ovechkin V. Crosby" debate. Because he'll argue the most mundane sports facts and accomplishments for days, I used to always go against his support for Ovechkin and talk about Crosby. Not anymore.

However, there are only a few instances where booing players from your own team should be acceptable.

A. That player is Milton Bradley
    B. A player has said negative things about your city
    C. Player showboats and then fucks up.

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To me, Sidney Crosby is like Timothy Dalton playing James Bond. You hate him because he's a snide, pretty boy, douche-cock. But at the same time, you have to give it to him because despite that, he always seems to be in the right place at the right time and gets the job done (the game winner is a perfect example of that).

5. thevoice

thevoice
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Booing Sidney Crosby would be the most inconsiderate, heinous decision possible for the Pittsburgh faithful. You're going to boo you're franchise player who helped win you a cup last year? You're going to boo a player who in five years has turned your franchise around? I'd expect something like that from a Philly fan, but Pittsburgh fan will give Sid his due, and will cheer - As they should.

6. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Christ we American are sore losers. Those of us who aren't playing the "Well we don't care about hockey anyway!" card are acting like a bunch of thundercunts.

Canada won a hard-fought and well played game. El fin.

7. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is going to be a national disgrace if Sidney Crosby ever has to buy himself a beer ever again.

That said; "should" Crosby be booed? That question is so stupid that I think I misunderstood it.

8. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How aboot that, eh?

9. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or how about when the player has intentionally shown little-to-no respect, and has completely disgraced both himself, the franchise, and possibly the league, a la Gilbert Arenas?

Tony Romo doesn't deserve to get booed? What about Stephon Marbury (when he was with the knicks)?

10. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You think he's.......good-looking? No. Just........no. Miller, on the other hand, is absolutely adorable.

Focus: I think some assholes are going to boo, because there are always a few of those in every crowd. But should they? No, they shouldn't. He's turned the Penguins around and created interest in a sport that Americans usually don't give a shit about--and no one can deny that he's a great player.

Plus, it's not like he's from China or anything. It's Canada....I know global politics are difficult for most Americans, but they should be able to recognize that Canadians aren't actually our enemy. They have funny accents and socialized healthcare but they're completely harmless. We like those guys!

11. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you calling John Candy a liar?

12. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I would say that he isn't honest. I heard he put weights in the front of a bob sled for Jamaica or some shit. I can't remember.

Focus: Booing is bad. Aren't most of the mods from Canada? Right. Well, YAY CANADA!!!!!!!!

13. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you're a Penguins fan you don't boo Crosby, the guy brought you a Cup last year. That's just insane.

HOWEVER. You applaud Miller when his name is announced as starter. And Ryan Miller should be applauded when announced as the starter at every US arena for the remainder of the season. Possibly not in the playoffs, but if you're a US hockey fan you have to show this man respect for how far he brought our nation in that tournament.

And I'm of the opinion that Parise deserves the same kind of respect, but that could be because my judgement is clouded as a Devils fan. Still, hard to argue that wasn't the second biggest goal of the tournament behind Crosby's winner. It was certainly the most clutch.

14. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good looking? No. But I think if you play in the NHL and have all your teeth, you're considered a pretty boy.

15. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't even explain how much I love hockey being in the national spotlight. Bettman will be hard pressed to keep the NHL players out of Sochi if he experiences a huge boom in popularity after that game. And with articles like this it's entirely popular.

As a huge Parise fan, I'm really excited to see him take off.

http://michellekenneth.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/canada-wins-the-gold/

16. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

You will never make it accross our border.

Canuck till I die

17. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

As a Pens fan, I can guarantee Crosby will most definitely not be booed. And Miller will be given a nice standing ovation when he is announced.

Unless you're from Philly, were booing the other team is more encouraged then actually cheering for your team, I don't see how this could even be a question.

18. burned ice cube

burned ice cube
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Haven't been to a Raider game in the last 6 years or so I take it?

I am a season ticket holder and nothing pisses me off when people start booing the home team. Yes, I understand Jamarcus (mayonnaise) Russell sucks, but do you really think that by booing you're going to motivate the team any?

Yea, didn't think so.

19. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Do you honestly see a surge in popularity lasting more than a month, if that? Try to take your hockey fan hat off before answering that.

20. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A massive surge? No, of course it's not going to be sustainable. But think about this. Maybe this gets him an endorsement. Maybe this makes a few hundred more people go to every Devils game. In the end, more people are going to know who he is, and less people are going to hate the Devils because of it. That's still better than 3 weeks ago.