Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Media and the Internet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Noland, Jun 15, 2012.

1. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Do local papers not have websites with all their content already? Or is this something where people won't go to their sites but still read it because the paper comes to their door?
    I don't really see the need for a physical paper, seems like a waste of resources when it can just be posted online.

And your radio example isn't a good one. You can't watch tv when you drive. How often do you sit in your house listening to sports on the radio? And if you say a lot you're onne of probably ten people in the world.

2. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You forgot to mention that it will be curated to be composed of 50-90% bullshit that you don't care about.

I'm not really sure how newspapers have even survived this long. (Oh wait: old people. The only segment of the population that still doesn't know how to find news online.)

You mean like 99% of the posts on this board?

3. Good Will

Good Will
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

While I mostly agree with this, there are a few quality newspapers left like the Wallstreet Journal, but even that newspaper won't be around for long. As I see it, most of the people with newspaper subscriptions are geriatrics and middle aged folks who subscribe to it out of habit and don't mind the expense. However, as these old people die off and newspapers become more expensive due to a loss in economies of scale, newspapers will go away almost entirely.

4. Nettie

Nettie
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Our local paper has 95% of the content online. They do run some features only either in the paper, or if you have any type of subscription, free online. I read it online, my parents still subscribe. Mom likes to read the paper while she has her breakfast, and my stepdad is a truck driver, so he's gone all week, home most weekends. She saves all the papers during the week for him to sit & read when he gets home. He is not internet savvy at all, doesn't even use e-mail. My mom is (has a laptop, a desktop, and a Kindle), but she still prefers the print format over online for the paper.

Granted, I'm in a very rural area, so almost everyone I know actually has a subscription to not only the "major" local paper, but also the weekly town only paper, and weekly county paper.