Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

McRib and other pseudo-foods...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Binary, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This article is all kinds of awesome.

It's obviously completely tongue-in-cheek so this thread is not a discussion of how accurate it is. Just read it and be amused.

Focus: McRib. Have you ever had it? Do you love it and follow it from city to city on its tours? I've never had one and am slightly disturbed by its very existence. Taking meat clippings, grinding it up, and stamping it into food shapes is disturbing to me. On the other hand, I have eaten chicken nuggets, so I'm not sure I'm in a place to judge.

Alt-Focus: What other foods do you find disturbing or weird?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I have not had it. I don't really plan to. Of all the fast food chains, McDonald's is the one I avoid scrupulously.

I did have occasion to stop in there a few years ago. They had some sort of Southwestern chicken sandwich/snacker on the dollar menu. God-damn those things were good. I knew I should not be enjoying them, as there was nothing real about them at all, but they tasted so much like real food!

3. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For whatever reason, my wife ordered a Mcrib without bbq sauce one day.

The meat was gray and looked like particleboard.

For me, ignorance is bliss. I don't go to McDonald's for organic food, however, Frankenmeat isn't necessarily appetizing as well.

Fast food continues to push the boundary of convenience vs edibility. Pretty soon we'll have congealed Big Macs in 12, 24, and 48 oz servings with a slurpee spoon so you can eat the chunks.

4. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to follow the McRib when I was in high school. At that point in my life, i didn't care about fake food. I had one a few months ago, and I can't remember why i liked them.

5. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alt Focus - Velveeta, anything that touts itself as a cheese like substance but doesn't need refrigeration is suspicious indeed. With that being said, I can chow down on some of that rotel-velveeta dip.

6. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People love any sandwich with BBQ sauce on it, and most people don't have a good BBQ place near them. Didn't your elementary school serve some sort of ribwich thing on thursdays once a month? Remember the kids freaking out with excitement?

7. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just an FYI to McRib lovers, the "meat" in the picture below tastes exactly the same and can usually be bought for a dollar a meal.

[​IMG]

I'm guilty of liking it myself, but I usually steer clear (I've had it three times in the past two years), I get enough unnecessary calories from booze.

8. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When they are delicious like this. Wickles are hands down the most awesome snack ever. Try one and you are guaranteed to be hooked for life.

9. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Holy shit. I love pickles but just looking at that page literally got my mouth watering. Pavlov would be proud.

But to answer your question 'sack, it's very simple. I love vinegar so naturally I love pickles. I suppose if someone doesn't like vinegar or sour things, they won't like pickles.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fried. Claussen deli dill pickles sandwich slices. Dip in egg wash, roll in flour/seasoning, redip egg wash, reroll in flour, fry. Dip in Ranch dressing, slap mama.

McRib has been done and brought back so many times. I've made the mistake of ordering twice. The first time out of general curiousity. The second time was a number of years in between. I remember thinking, that thing is awful, I know not to order this. But, then, it gets so much hype, I tried it again. It's stil awful. It's not even the pressed cardboard "meat" that grosses me out. It's the sauce. McDonald's can put out a decent sauce, but that McRib bbq sauce is an aberration. It tastes industrial, like somebody accidentally spilled a cleaning product in it. Just, awful. Never again.

11. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1000x this. There's a local bar by my house that serves deep fried pickles. I was very reluctant to try them until one of my friends ordered them and demanded that I do. However, instead of ranch dressing, they use a horseradish remoulade dip, which is delicious.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I LoLed. Nothing says processed food like the chemical tang you feel on your tongue when eating it. Same goes with American Cheese. After hearing the jokes for years about Spam I tried a can of it a few months ago. Not bad. I'd pan fry up slices with breakfast. It is basically the same belly meat as bacon and taste about the same after being cooked. Raw it's gross but Id be willing to bet bacon taste gross raw as well. It's just salt cured meat in a can.

I like pickles, cannot stand olives AT ALL. People ordering martinis with extra olives dirty are mental defectives in my mind.

13. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No. Austin, MN always smells funny to me. How dare you use the word "same" twice in the same sentence with bacon and spam!

I tried a couple cans of Spam a couple years ago. Nothing about that salty cube of pureed pork shoulder is appetizing to me. It's only redeeming quality is the fact that it is actually meat and not, well, whatever else you can try and call meat. I don't like the "lunchmeat" flavor that is strong in it and the texture turns me off too. Maybe I just prefer meats with a shelf life, but I have no problem with never touching spam again.

14. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to love the McRib. Then I had one in my teen years. Never again. It went from a BBQ sandwich into this squishy, wet sponge thing with the texture of an old, wet band aid.

So here is a pork belly McRib I will be doing at home: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Make-Your-Own-McRib-Bigger-Better-and-Always-Available" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/M ... -Available</a>

Chicken nuggets make some kind of sense. In sausage making, meat and fat are ground up into a liquid awesomeness called "force meat." Then you stuff the casing with it. Makes a tender, unctuous sausage. From what I can tell Chicken Nugget is some kind of force meat of dubious origin that is breaded and fried. That's not so weird like the McRib, which is some kind of "pork" patty stamped by a machine press to look like a rack of ribs. You could technically do a cleaner, non-lethal version at home with ground chicken, pork fat, seasoning, and a nice beer batter.

Alt Focus:

Pickled Pig's Feet

[​IMG]

I am at a complete loss. What do you do with it? Suck on the hoof until you get all the pickling juice off? Tie a few on a string to ward off bad spirits and door-to-door solicitors? The little meat on there definitely should not be pickled.

Runner up is a Gefilte Fish. You do NOT PICKLE A FISH.

Other stuff like Lutefisk is too esoteric, too niche market. The two above items are in every grocery store across America. People buy that shit and I assume enjoy it. PORQUE?!?

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Pretty much everything on this page.

16. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's still too much lutefisk in Minnesota. It's a tradition with the texture and look of coagulated snot, and it's no more appetizing than that. I'm convinced that unless you're 60+ years old and are consuming yer lutefisk in the basement of an old Lutheran church during the holiday season (probably in a town with a name like Brainerd or Bemidji), you're fucked in the head. Yah, you betcha. Lutefisk just doesn't seem like it should be food. Nothing you soak in lye should be food, for that matter.

17. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone surprised 'sack is fond of meat in the can?

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you eat it straight or cook it at all? The taste and texture were completely different after pan frying, firm and not as mussy, the fat also changed taste as it was cooked, nice and bacony. As it stands I'd say it isn't as appetizing uncooked.

19. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I sliced it 1/4-1/2" thick and pan fried it until it was nice and crispy. I just couldn't get past the saltiness and flavor. The crisp may have been similar to bacon, but it's still not bacon.

20. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"American cheese" is one of my biggest pet peeves. That shit is NOT cheese. It came out of a plant somewhere, and actual cheese was never involved in the process.
    Says it all, really.