Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Masters Of The Universe: Revelations

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by walt, Jul 23, 2021.

1. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone get a chance to see this on Netflix yet?

It’s written and directed by Kevin Smith, so I’ve long thought it would be well done. I have to admit though, the first half of the first episode had me mixed between excited to see the character and bored by what seemed to be a predictable period of fan service.

Then there was a twist and I was like, “Oh this is gonna be good.”I had to resist the urge to binge watch it.

As an 80’s toy collector nerd, ( including MOTU ) I still live in hope of a feature length live action movie for this franchise that doesn’t suck. But for now I think it’s in safe hands with Silent Bob.

2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aaaannnd then I watched the next episode. I think some of the backlash Smith is getting online right now is warranted. I’ve never seen a series go sideways like that before. Episode 2 was just ridiculous in parts.

3. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been meaning to watch it, but the backlash he has been getting is insane.

No show can be so bad that the creators need to trend on twitter for three days.

Even Game of Thrones didn't get that treatment and those last seasons were so bad that the show just dropped off of the pop culture radar.

4. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have the original series on DVD. I bought all the old toys from the 80s on Ebay and at garage sales... I'm a MOTU fan.

And this series is fucking garbage. My son and I watched the first 3 episodes and both said, "We're all set with this."

5. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've had a slight change of heart.

In the end, I didn't hate it. I think Episode 2 is the weakest link in the story and almost had me tapping out for the absolute stupidity involved. I am convinced Smith was high as a kite when he wrote that one:

Particularly the techno worship cult led by TriKlops and Trap Jaw. This was just plain retarded.

Episode 3 kinda reeled me in a little more, and by the end of that I was okay with it. Not overwhelmed, but at least I wanted to see more.

There was some "bait and switch" going on here. The show's trailer was misleading and I think that's where a lot of the hate comes from. Smith said, "Your childhood is safe" and then took some radical leaps in the story beginning with the end of Episode 1. People weren't ready for that, perhaps expecting more of the old Filmation days ( which, let's be honest, were pretty bad.)

In fairness, some things I read in the months leading up did lay out the storyline that there is trouble in the ranks and it's Teela that brings things back together. So maybe we should have anticipated the story being focused around here more than He Man. Sarah Michelle Gellar was woefully miscast for the voice, and Teela ended up sounding more like a whiny teenage girl than the warrior bad ass she's supposed to be.

As I said before, I think some of the backlash Smith has gotten has been warranted, although not to these extremes. The overall plot wasn't bad per se, but I think there was a lot of bad writing that failed it.