Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

March Madness 2011

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Diablo, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With selection Sunday tomorrow, so begins the most wonderful time of the year. If I could, I would plant myself in front of the TV for the entire tournament and watch every game. Discuss.

2. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck Dook. That is all. Not that UNC deserved to win, forcing up shots and playing such soft defense the way they did.

But still, that was brutal. Duke smacked them down like a bunch of lacrosse players beating up a stripper. *rimshot*

3. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Even though Ohio State is ranked #1 and looking great, for some reason I can't see them winning the whole thing. Something seems to be missing in this game against Penn State. Anybody else have an idea of what I'm talking about?

4. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ohio State, UConn, Kansas, and (surprise) St. John's in the Final Four.

Kansas over UConn for the title.

5. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why is CBS using NBA guys for March Madness. Barkley was the biggest retard of them all. The Big East isn't that good because UConn won the Big East tournament. Yeah, that is some brilliant analysis right there.

6. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, not a good idea to bring in NBA guys to analyze a 64-team NCAA tourney. Maybe he'd like to hear John Madden's thoughts on Derrick Rose's chances of being MVP?

And in the other corner, I really liked what Jay Bilas had to say about some of the bad selections and omissions the panel made for the field. If anyone caught it on CBS, he made a few good points.

7. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kansas will go in as a #1 seed (and possibly THE #1 seed) which is why I predict that they lose in the first couple of rounds to break the hearts of Jayhawk fans yet again.

Anybody up for a TiB bracket contest?

8. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ohio St. was the overall #1.

9. Suit Jacket

Suit Jacket
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Kansas v. Illinois would be a very amusing 2nd round match.

10. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you and others are saying this not because of anything about OSU in particular, but because the field overall is weak. The top flight teams of this year just really don't compare favorable to those of previous years. None of them are as strong as (for example) UK last year, UNC's recent championship teams, Florida's teams, etc.

The same is true of the individual players. Sure, there are a few capable players, but this is going to be one of the weakest draft classes in recent history.

I'm eagerly awaiting news as to Chris Wright's ability to play. He's back for the tournament, but is he 100%? With how much rust? With him, Georgetown probably would have been a 2 or 3 seed, with an outside shot at a 1 (if they had won their remaining games and the Big East). Without him....they were getting blown out by 20 to Cincy. So it'll be interesting to see.

A cabbie today was arguing to me that UConn was underseeded. I disagree. They're good, but if Walker were to have an off-game, then what? So much of their offense runs through him. Without doing a ton of research, I seem to recall most similarly constructed teams running into trouble. Eventually, even the best players lay an egg and there needs to be other people to pick up the slack.

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have no clue how they let Illinois in. Losing 8 of your last 13 (or 6 of your last 10, whatever) and your best win, against UW, being 3 months ago. Just a joke. I think the Big 10 teams were way over seeded and no way did that conference deserve 7.

Biggest screw jobs to me were Colorado and Bama. CU beat Texas and KSU 3 times and they lose out to fucking UAB? And Bama wins the SEC West, and beats Georgia twice in the last 2 weeks, and they are out while Georgia is in? Explain that shit to me.

Also thought the committee could have done a better job separating the BE teams. I know its tricky with 11 but potential 2 second round BE matchups? Sloppy.

12. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

A lot depends on if Duke gets its best player back. The fact that they got a number one seed after losing a consensus top-5 pick shows how deep they are.

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm swamped with other stuff at the moment, but if someone were to set up a TiB pool for a relatively small amount (somewhere in the double digit area), I'd be in.

14. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have one set up for free on cbssports.com at the moment, it's a holdover from last year. Everyone who did it last year is invited back automatically, plus I can add anyone new who might be interested.

15. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just filled out my bracket, and the weirdest thing, Michigan State wins the whole thing again. Damn, that seems to happen every year.

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would rather listen to Chuck than Dick Vitale any day.

And what kind of name is "Jimmer"? Is he another Adam Morrison?

17. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would rather listen to Stephen Hawking call the game than Vitale but that doesn't mean that he knows anything about college basketball either.

Jimmer is another Adam Morrison. Not going to be a good pro. He can shoot but nothing else, especially bad on defense.

18. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

At worst, Morrison. At best, poor man's Stephen Curry. Maybe J.J. Redick is somewhere in the middle.

19. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

First off: HUGE FUCKING UPS to UNC Charlotte for hanging in the first game of tourney against Arkansas Little Rock, scrapping and fighting back from the deficit all the way through the second half, then having Matt Dickey nail that three at the buzzer to tie it, THEN overtaking ARK-LR in OT. Great finish.

Second: Do not even mention J Fredette in the same sentence as Morrison and Redick, two white guy nobodies the second they stepped off the NCAA courts. Jimmer Fredette is a pure banger, who has dropped points on anyone and everyone. No one has shut him down. No one. All three of those guys are white. That's all they will ever have in common.

Fredette honed his game by playing against prison inmates (article). Morrison and Redick were the definition of whiny bitches. Every time Jimmer has faced a viciously athletic, street - banger filled frontcourt (San Diego State comes to mind) he simply 1) Gritted his teeth and 2) Elevated his game. Redick couldn't shoot a goddamn trey without someone setting a screen for him - Fredette will dunk on your ass.

Jimmer Fredette will be someone in the NBA. Take it to the bank.

20. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone and Everyone, please. Their schedule is a who's who of nobody's. They played one fucking ranked team this year, one.

And that Yahoo article is bullshit, like all their articles. Wow, as a high school senior he played against some prisoners.