Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Man in the High Castle: Season 1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

When Amazon released a bunch of pilots last year, this one got picked up. The first 2 episodes are out on Prime, but the full season drops Netflix-style tomorrow.

The premise is that the Germans and Japanese win World War 2 and after conquering Europe, invade and occupy the United States and Canada. The show takes place in the 1960s after the Reich has been controlling much of the eastern US and the Japanese controlling the west coast. Theres an underground resistance movement against the occupiers, some of which discover a propaganda film called the Grasshopper Lies Heavy, which shows our version of World War 2 with an Allied victory.

After seeing the pilot and second episode, the show is very, very good. Stylistically its very appealing and has an art-deco, noir feel to it. The main characters are not bad, but the main Nazi Officer thats hunting them is excellent. It doesnt hold back on the violence and I really enjoyed it so far. Only downside is you have to be subscribed to Amazon Prime, but its pretty worth it.

The opening credits are creepy as hell:

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I tried watching the pilot and couldn't make it through. I'll give another try. I thought the book while being a cool concept was ultimately unsatisfying on many levels.

3. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I agree. I read the book thinking it was a really cool concept that they could have done so much with, but ultimately wasn't very good or entertaining. It was pretty bland for how much potential there is with the idea.

4. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    I watched a few episodes last night. It starts out pretty slow, but it gets interesting after you get through the first two episodes. Hopefully it offers more than the book, it really has potential.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The best part of the show is the world building. Its really well done, which isnt surprising since that portion is being guided and designed by Ridley Scott, who had adapted Phillip K Dick before with Blade Runner.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded