Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Parker, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pretty good summation of that scene. Anyone else sort of underwhelmed with this episode being the season finale? After the draining episode last week a lot of the the story lines kind of limped to the finish line. Pete's ending was odd and wildly unfulfilling. Roger and Megans mom and Peggy's storyline both felt like mid season episodes. They set up Peggy for something huge next year but her few scenes really seemed tacked on.

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Underwhelmed is the correct word because they killed the two episodes before. I had a lengthy debate with my friend about this and he says "Its just like season 3 all over again. It was a great season compared to other shows because its Mad Men. But compared to Mad Men, all it did was set-up season 4, season 4 was fucking epic. Season 5 was a great season, because its Mad Men again, but it is setting up Season 6 which is going to be great."

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is a pretty good article that puts a little bow on the season written by Andy Greenwald of now Grantland.com. Warning: You'll either find this cleverly written or seeped with pretentious "look how clever I am" writing. Either way, if you get to the meat of it, it has some good perspective on the show.

"Toxic Fog"

4. Gatling

Gatling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I think my favourite line was Megan's mom's description of her daughter as someone with "artistic sensibilities without the talent".

That describes so may young, beautiful (and not so beautiful) people. Although the phrase "artistic sensibilities" was in no small measure French for "too lazy to do real work"

What is genuinely intriguing/frustrating about Megan is that she is a beautiful woman with a real talent for advertising, but no talent for acting. She hasn't landed a single acting part. And the two times we see her "audition" (for the playwright, and, on film for the commercial) all she does is turn around and look beautiful. She drunkenly asks Don to fuck her because "that's all she is good for".

Yet this season we saw she has a real gift for advertising and handling clients, yet rejected that gift (and Don's life work) to pursue her "love of acting". That she ended up acting in a commercial, and a stupid looking one at that, despite all her peans to art, and her rejection of advertising, and only because of Don, caused the explosive ending of Don marching off the set ala James Bond to the theme You Only Live Twice.

I loved it.

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My only contribution to the discussion is: I never noticed how short Robert Morse is until they spaced them out for the scene in front of the window.

[​IMG]

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/53895/peggy-olson-will-be-back-on-mad-men-calm-the-hell-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood ... -hell-down</a>