Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mad Men Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Parker, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't wait, I just can't fucking wait. Watched this clip this morning and this was just from season 1!

2 Hour Season Premiere on Sunday!

#1 Parker, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some of the original story lines have kind of wandered a bit but it is still awesome. I'd say top 5 of the past decade, hard to say if it is number one. I don't know how marrying the bucktooth girl with the huge titties will work out though.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I definitely feel like it is one of the top 5 shows in the last year. I don't know what four and five is, but it is up there with The Wire, Breaking Bad (that's a different argument) Season 4 has some big hits in it, and it appears that all the characters finally have their skeletons out the closet, now they need to start reacting to their environment. Get back on board Chater, you'll enjoy it.

4. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's to resurrecting my burning hatred for Jane and Betty!

Can't wait to see some swaggering 60s hotness again too.

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My problem with this show (which I love) is that I can't watch it on a week to week basis. I've tried, and it's just too slow.

I'm gonna try again this year, but I've found the way I enjoy it most is saving up a bunch of them and watching straight through.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you haven't seen this, then you are missing out. These two hours were not only fucking funny as shit, but it sets the season up for some real shit. They double up on bringing the real world into the fictional world in two ways. There are a lot of interesting questions about Don, and the way they approach the long break is hilarious.

7. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I genuinely find this show less appealing with Meghan on it. I can't stand her every time she's on screen. You can't have someone ugly and annoying try to be a sympathetic character. I hope she leaves.

8. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse

Also, I would like to present these gifs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it just me or is the lobby full of Negros?

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had a feeling a lot of people were going to resist her in the show now. I was actually very surprised with the conflict they set up for her between being seen as a sex toy at work and Don's always distant narcissistic behavior in relationships. Really some layered deep shit I was wondering if the actress could pull it off. That was up until that odd fetish scene with her cleaning and demeaning Don. That whole scene just seemed out of place. I had forgot Don is kind of down with that shit right? I can't remember the exact time it was shown before though.

Joan's mom is a bitch. Price is been the top contender for my dark horse favorite secondary character, lets hope he nails the new black chick (if they even end up actually hiring her). His 'free to leave' stumble was hilarious. Campbell is also a secondary favorite and he is back in full swing.

I'd say for a season premiere is was fucking near flawless for this show. Just about everyone got some decent set up and screen time. They also know how to write in insanely water cooler moment scenes.* Megan singing the French song was this week's.

* Or "google moment" were the scene is searches hard after the show. Peggy and that artist repeating "Marsha!" "Stan" or the reporter writing Don's interview in reporter script (fuck if I can remember these damn things five years later).

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No doubt, her teeth bother the hell out of me, but otherwise she is very attractive. However that underwear in the cleaning scene weren't exactly flattering.

Also, my god Harry is schmuck.

12. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think it's way too early to write off Megan; remember, it took at least half a season for us to realize Betty was a complete cunt. Two episodes (hours) isn't enough to render final judgment.

The way I see it, anyway, is that all of these characters are simply prisms with which to better observe Don Draper, who is easily the most interesting and captivating character on television currently on the air. Megan is the first character we've seen in Don's daily life that knows about Dick Whitman, and it should be interesting to see how - or if - she plays that card once the honeymoon phase is over.

Every season premiere usually has one softball line that sets us up for that season's theme. Last year, it was the reporter's question "Who is Don Draper?" and this year it might be Peggy's "I don't recognize this man" comment. It's been made plainly clear that the only thing setting SDCP apart from the other ad agencies is Don's "mojo". If Megan complicates that reputation, innocently or otherwise, we might see SDCP suffer through another existential crisis that no account can save. We've already seen Cooper and Sterling become irrelevant to their own firm: Don is standing in the on-deck circle.

13. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That scene with Pete giving the speech in front of the office and sticking it to Roger was great. As much as you want to hate Pete, its pretty hard not to understand where he is coming from. Advertising isn't for the old, and when the old is sitting there collecting a check, it is even worse. "That was the last guy I hired..." Sterling's joke about the new black receptionist was fucking gold.

I agree about Megan, she is going to give us the next level of Don. Chuck Closterman's "A New Don" made a point which will be interesting as fuck if the show goes there. We know who Don Draper played by Dick Whitman is, smooth, impressive, commanding, charming, mysterious. We know who Don Draper played by Dick Whitman who's life is threatened is...but who is Dick Whitman himself? Is he this lazy guy that doesn't care about work and only cares about chasing tail? Is he now a hybrid of both because he can't go back to CA and be 100% Dick Whitman? That is an interesting question we haven't answered.

Also the new copywriter is going to be great. I fucking love the guy already. High energy neurosis, welcome to the show.

14. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse

Seeing that Betty was disappointed about not having cancer - whether it was because she was sad that she was just fat like she said, or because she's sad that her life is still so uninteresting like I think - was so perfect for her character. I don't think I've ever seen that before, and I have absolutely no doubt that that's how she would react.

I'm waiting for Don and Betty to sleep together again. It seems like they keep hinting that they not only miss each other, but fit together better than they do with their current others. It was interesting how Henry and Megan reacted the same way, and Don and Betty reacted the same way.

I have to say, though, that I was a bit disappointed that they pulled a "we don't know what to do with this pretty character, let's make her fat" plot line. It seems a bit beneath the show. I have hope that they'll do something interesting with it, though. I kept thinking she'd get addicted to diet pills soon.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At first I was thinking, how dare they try and redeem Betty by having her struggle through cancer? Then, as far as we know, it was benign. I think having a bate and switch on such a serious plot line for a single episode was kind of weak, I am just unsure how they will ultimately handle Betty. I think she's just hates herself and the life she has created. The cancer storyline would have ultimately been a pity party for her. I'd hate to see her and Don get back together but they sure aren't setting it up any other way with as unhappy as they seem to be making their newly wed lives.

I like the new Jew copywriter as well. I wonder if he really is a genius and will threaten Peggy (I really hope they go this way, definitely one of the better plot lines 2 eps in). Though I have a nagging feeling he might be a bullshit artist, who lifted his portfolio ideas and just lies well.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The reason Betty is in a fat suit and they worked the plot line in here is because January Jones got pregnant, and Matt Weinert said "Fuck it, I'm not doing the constant grocery bag, laundry basket, hiding behind tables and kitchen counter" thing that other shows have to do. He just went balls deep with the fat suit, and smoothly worked it into "a reason for her to call." It works in the grander scheme of things.

I never thought they were ever going to drop anything serious on Betty, that is the thing. Her hand shakes became nothing, the cancer became nothing, but she's still depressed for no reason at all. She's just empty, I think that is part of her character. It is too cliche for it to be a clear palpable issue. Also, Betty is not going to get addicted to diet pills, this isn't 90210. The diet pills are going to work and she'll move along. The whole theme of the show is this constant disatisfaction. Trudy thinks its the coal that fuels the fire of ambition, Megan thinks it makes everyone cynical and they never smile. Which one is right? Will they ever be satisfied?

17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I kind of hope we get more of Sally in the next few weeks because her character had a couple of interesting arcs in the past and that kid is a pretty impressive actress for her age.

Also, how hilarious was Harry awkwardly trying to hit on Dawn?

18. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I love that he's been getting a bunch of screen time the last two episodes, especially the post concert burger-inhaling. "I thought those were for your family!"

And Weiner just loves fat suits. Wasn't Peggy put into one for the first season as well?

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah because she was carrying Pete's bastard child and "didn't know about it"/was in serious denial.

20. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don's look after Roger said, "She's a fighter," was probably the hardest I've laughed in a while.

I think Megan is cute and all, but at 26, who doesn't know that you don't put on a sexy slutty dance for your much-older husband in front of all his friends? I mean come on, save that shit for later. I was hoping Don was going to shut her down in the middle of it, but alas, no dice.

Loving the distance growing in Roger's and Jane's marriage. She is so horribly boring.

I want to know what magic circle Christina Hendricks belongs to that she can look so incredible all the time. When she was crying in Lane's office, I wanted to turn gay, move to Massachusetts and marry her so I could pat her head and tell her everything was going to be alright.