Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mad Men - Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by WickedBitch, Jul 10, 2010.

1. ktg21

ktg21
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

OK here's what I was wondering after watching that episode-did Roger actually hire him or is Don just saying that. The smug little smile that he smiles at the back of Roger's head as the elevator is closing really made me think he had tricked Sterling into it. Quite frankly it seems like a very "Don" thing to do-inventing a little fib knowing that Roger was shitfaced and won't remember specifics of their meeting.

But if that's the case then it would really change Roger's dynasty. Sterling's biggest talent is finding talent, yet his biggest catch conned them self into the job.

2. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That is exactly what happened, and I apologize for a poorly worded sentence. (As I read it again, even I was confused.) Don deliberately got Roger shitfaced at 10AM on a workday and even tried to extend the "meeting" through lunch. He showed up the next morning and absolutely lied to Roger's face about the whole "Welcome aboard!" comment. That smile at the end meant precisely what you took it for.

I thought that whole scene was interesting because it showed that Don probably did his homework on Roger (knowing when and where to ambush him) and showed what we've always known: Don has an uncanny ability to read people. He knew that no matter how sure Roger was that he'd said nothing about hiring Don at the bar, Roger would be too embarrassed and/or ashamed to admit it. Remember where Don first met him, after all: Roger was buying a fur coat for his mistress. Roger Sterling is a man with character flaws and things to hide, and Don capitalized on those qualities perfectly. It was just one of the earliest examples of a skill that's made and kept Don Draper a legend on Madison Ave.

But, as I was saying, I don't think the parallel was between Don and Danny but between Roger and Don. Don was bright and creative; Danny is dim and untalented. Don knew exactly how to get into Sterling Cooper; Danny still doesn't understand why he's at SCDP (yet).

3. David

David
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Today's episode was my favorite since Betty confronted Don about his personal paperwork last season. Both episodes showed every side of Don's personality; supreme confidence, fear, regret, anguish.

On a personal level, I can identify with everything that ran through his head in each of the two episodes, and I thought they were brilliantly written and acted.

4. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Well, it only took a week for "Mad Men" to get their 2011 Emmy reels together. That was some serious acting by both John Hamm and Elisabeth Moss. Don and Peggy have always had a complicated relationship based on affection and respect but it was great to see them finally have the kinds of conversations you don't normally get in a show that leaves so much unsaid.

There was so much going on in that episode I feel like I need to rewatch it to wrap my head around it. But the long and short of it is Peggy Olson just replaced Anna Draper as Don's most trusted friend.

5. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

After last night, I'm convinced there is no better writer in television right now than Matt Weiner. "The Suitcase" was a clinic in powerful moments. Some of the highlights:

When Don asked Peggy if thoughts of her baby every came up, her answer: "playgrounds". Awesome.

After Don breaks down and tells Peggy that the person that died was the only person that every truly knew him, Peggy's simple "that's not true" was the point where lesser hack writers would have ruined the moment.

And of course, the unintentional comedy of the night rained down like boxing fists. First up was Ida Blankenship's comment about what she would do if she wanted to see negroes fight. Next up was Roger's revelations (Ida the hellcat and Cooper's lack of balls) and Don's giddy excitement. Then we got the reason Peggy's mom hates Don, followed by Duck attempting to take a shit on Don's office furniture (wrong office), then followed by another epic fail when Don tried to swing at Duck for calling Peggy a whore...which was actually kind of a touching gesture but pathetic and hilarious at the same time.

"The Suitcase" is going into my personal single episode Hall of Fame along with other heavyweight hours like BSG's "Exodus, Pt. 2" and FNL's "The Son".

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Heavy episode. They have really been casting off the whole mystique of drinking this season. Instead of flawlessly picking up accounts while guzzling bottle after bottle of scotch we've seen a number of main characters get sloppy and fuck up in the offices.

7. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did it seem like to anyone else that the writers were setting up a future romantic relationship between Don and Peggy in this episode? I'm not sure if I'd be for it, but I could sort of see it, what with her knowing him better than anyone now, the emphasis on both of them being single and loving their job above all else, and Don admitting that he found her attractive.

Either way, the whole open door thing at the end gives me hope that Don will soon be back to his smooth talking, panty dropping ways.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I definitely felt the same possible set up. I think though she might take on a more of a "Real Mrs. Draper" role than an actual lover. I don't know if Peggy would go through with it as it would basically kill her credibility at the firm. I think they'll bond more with their secretive past but Im not sure it will grow into an actual relationship.

9. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God, I hope not. In fact, when he motioned for her to sit with him on the couch, I actually said out loud (in a room by myself) "Oh no! Not Peggy!"* mainly because they have excellent platonic chemistry. To link them romantically would kill that. Nevermind the fact that they have very little in common other than advertising and they would make a god-awful ugly couple. Separately they are both okay looking (some women find Don/Jon attractive but I find him off-putting and unsymmetrical - I can't put my finger on it) but together they'd look ridiculous.

*I said the same thing about Allison the secretary too though so what do I know. You don't shit where you eat, I know that much.

10. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That other, random secretary has a gigantic mouth.

Just thought of putting that out there.

Attached Files:

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am wondering if Jon Hamm has any acting ability outside of this role. Ive only seen him in some terrible bit parts, wonder if he actually has good range.

12. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Genuinely curious, but what more do you want out of the guy? I've seen him in some cameos in funny moments and I agree that he wasn't hilarious—but this character has a huge range of genuine emotions. I'd go as far as to say that his role on Mad Men alone has more range than a lot of reputed actors' entire careers. I'm trying to think of an emotion or range he hasn't touched on and I think the only ones he hasn't come across so far as is funny or stupid. I'd love to see him in a movie at some point, though I agree that it will be hard for him to break away from being typecast—it's hard to imagine him wearing anything other than a suit at this point.

Anyway, this was one of my favorite episodes. Hard to count all the great scenes, easy to relate to many of them.

13. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

He's been good on "30 Rock" and his SNL hosting gig and other assorted appearances show the guy has a pretty good comic acumen. And considering how poorly the otherwise-lauded January Jones did when she went on SNL, I'd agree with you: Jon Hamm packs a lot of skill into Don Draper, and this show asks a lot of its actors to begin with.

He's going to be in The Town coming out, but so far most of his film roles have been bit parts. But it's hard to get lead roles with a full-time series gig, so that's not really something you can hold against him.

Nah, I don't see it. Don passed up his free shot with Peggy right at the beginning, and his "rules" about not fucking the help notwithstanding (see: Allison and his attempts with Faye) Peggy hasn't ever really seemed like his type. Telling her she was cute at the bar was an act of friendship and support, not a come-on. Besides, he's long valued her as a creative talent and unappreciated (and secret) confidante. Don went a long time without crossing that sort of line with Anna Draper, and there's no reason to think he'd cross that line now with Peggy.

Plus, if there is one will-they-won't-they relationship on TV that is almost universally regarded as a "won't" it's Don and Peggy. There's almost nothing good that could come of it.

14. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I read an interview he did in Parade and he believes he is the comic relief on the Mad Men set. He would actually prefer to do comedy but he is such a serious looking, chiseled fellow that no one will hire him for comedies. I (and 95% of America) don't watch SNL so I don't know how funny he was when he hosted but I suspect he's not as funny as he thinks he is.

15. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

This was a beautiful episode. I've never seen a more realistic portrait of a relationship.

I think that from here on out, things are going to be looking up for Don. This is the first time in a while that I've felt optimistic about where his character's going.

16. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

By my count, this was the just-past-halfway point of the season so if I had to guess I'd say we've seen the end of Don's downward spiral theme. If last week's Doris-banging and this week's "uncle" moment weren't low enough, the anvil Don's been dreading/avoiding finally landed on his head with Anna's death. He punched through and looks like he'll rebound now that's he's got closure and a new BFF to lean on (as well occassionally berate and underpay).

I would suspect most of the drama down the stretch will involve SCDP business and Don's personal life with regards to Betty the kids (nothing new). Which naturally means...more Betty. Sucks. But, now that Ken Cosgrove is back for the second half of the season we can look forward to him doing what he does best, which is to annoy Pete Campbell to no end despite rarely ever doing anything all that objectionable. That doesn't suck.

17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was very good on SNL in some less than quality material. I also heard him on the BS Report with Bill Simmons and he is pretty witty. I think alot of his humor comes from the fact that he is this serious looking, dashing dude, but he can make fun of himself. I don't think we are gonna ever see him in a Judd Apatow movie or any normal comedy, but probably more cause he is almost too talented to waste on that sort of thing (not that comedic actors aren't talented, its different.)

18. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

Oh, I also wanted to chime in on John Hamm's range. I loved him in 30 Rock, and that's not just because I have a raging crush on him. I was genuinely surprised at how well he could play a comedic role, and found it endearing that it was all based on making fun of his looks. His character in The Town doesn't sound too far from Don Draper, but I have faith that he could believably play outside of what he's already been typecasted as.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Forgot what interview, but Jon Hamm moved to L.A. to do stand-up comedy. He seriously thinks he's funny. If we're ever going to see him shoot this stuff out, I'd doubt it.

This episode was fucking excellent. Every single scene was like a short story on its own, but together made an amazing episode. Usually shows suck when they are focusing on two characters in the same scene for so long, of course Man Men pulled it off excellently. I died a little inside when he finally talked to Stephanie, that is some crushing shit for his character. Peggy and Don are going to be the ultimate platonic friendship, they are just two creatives who are hiding a lot and feel alienated from any family they have.

Now on with the Pete vs. Ken. Also don't we get one episode that has a little more Cooper than we're comfortable with? Come on writers, get it together.

20. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I still don't get why Pete hates Ken so much. I like Ken, Ken is nice.