Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mad Men Final Season

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Flat_Rate, Apr 14, 2014.

1. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I was really sad that Joan and Peggy didn't go off to start their own agency together. I could hear all the women across the country simultaneously eeeeee-ing at their TV when Joan pitched the idea to Peggy. I'm not really sure why Peggy turned it down, it seemed like just what she'd be into. But I'm really glad Joan still got her's. And Peggy seems like she'll be okay too. I thought the Stan thing seemed kind of squeezed in there, but looking back on it that's been bubbling for seasons now, and just wasn't so in your face as the usual "will they or won't they" type setup.

And yes, I'm kind of angry that Betty was the only one with the sad ending. Really? Motherfucking PETE gets to run off with his re-claimed awesome wife and kid and kick ass in his career with his own private jet? And Betty's the one that's going to die from lung cancer?

2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it was interesting that a few of the endings were almost specifically not what a lot of viewers wanted. Pete gets to be rich and have a happy life with his family, Harry Crane will just continue being a douche, Joan isn't seen earning respect from anyone that hasn't already worked with her, Peggy isn't seen getting specific credit for an amazing ad campaign (and will probably steadily climb the ladder like a normal person), Sally's childhood is over, but instead of getting an adventure she has to be the mother figure for Bobby and Gene, and the Coke ad signifies that Don doesn't shed the identity of Don Draper and start a new life.

And I like that a lot. Things change, but overall, they just continue. Keep moving forward, but not without facing the demons, and all that.

Another thing I noticed...Don's "Ommm" is the only one that is off pitch and dissonant from everybody else. I think it was planned.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really really liked how they shot the Stan-Peggy scene over the phone, did feel thrown in, but had that sort of modern detachment we still have with phone use. I too was disappointed Peggy didn't team up with Joan. I think though it kind of represents both the struggles each had. Peggy was super talented on the creative side but dismissed outright for being a woman. Joan was a better manager be was never going to get past how people treated her on her looks. BTW did her last guy feel forced in too? Built an entire season with her and him and he's out after one encounter with her future career. I get his reasons for wanting more of a wife and not a career woman but his whole storyline felt useless. Did they keep him around just to have them do coke?

I think Betty has been the only character outside of Don that hasn't really changed much, if at all. I think that's why she wound up with the shitty dice role.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if that was planned, per se, but he was intentionally mic'd differently. However, that smile was not "I'm at peace withe world and now I'm a hippie." It was "I've made peace with where I'm at, and I just had a great idea for Coke."

5. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Small thing that I thought was odd at the time and forgot to mention until something reminded me just now: during Don's trek across America, at first he had all his stuff in a Sears bag, and then suddenly it was a Penney's bag.

7. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I keep seeing this brought up in discussions about it like it's some hidden message, but I thought it was just becuase he left his first bag of stuff in his car that he gave to that kid? I can't remember if he still had a bag in that shot of him on the bench by the road. Or maybe just, you know, that his bag broke and he got a new one. Am I totally missing potential symbolism here? I know it's become a show where every goddamn thing supposedly means something, but I've been surprised/confused about everyone trying to read something into this. I just don't know what it COULD mean. Some kind of advertising history inside joke?

Fun fact: A pal of mine who works in advertising started working at McCann the Monday after the finale. She already hated Mad Men because it was all anyone wanted to talk about once they learned what she does. She's had one fun week with everyone freaking out about it to her.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haha, that's cool. I had no idea that McCann really existed.