Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mad Men Final Season

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Flat_Rate, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Coke Bottle Casualty

Coke Bottle Casualty
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think Jim Cutler needs a punch in his smug face. Glasses on.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think not just that, though. She said I just want you to be happy. I think she thought he's not happy because he's just fucking her. Megan thought if she provided an alternative, not only would he be happy, but they would be happy. The next morning, when he left, she threw her cigarette down because she was pissed it was just another day to him, instead of turning point for their relationship.

A friend of mine's son was home this weekend after just graduating from college. I hadn't seen him in a while, but he's gone full on hipster. And, he's a frustrated "writer." I told her that he reminded me of Ginsberg on Mad Men, which I knew she watches. We laughed at how accurate it was. Then he cuts his nipple off. I don't think my friend is laughing now. Oops.

3. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It took me a few days, but I figured out where I'd seen the Chevy dude who ended up in jail. Glenn on the Wedding Singer.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Good finale. Looks like the ducks are back in place. Cooper gone. Megan gone. and Don repaired his relationship with Peggy and gets to stay at the company while severely marginalizing Cutler. I was hoping the theory was correct that Megan was going to be slaughtered by the Manson family. Her teeth are so annoying. Damn girl, get some crowns on them shits.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are going to be a lot of feelings once this show ends, and this trailer is fucking perfect. To give credit for Weiner thinking this far ahead and cutting this trailer would be a bit much. Good job of having the thought though to go back and use the Nostalgia speech.

Here is the 30 second sneak peak into where we're at.

#25 Parker, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Those sideburns on Pete and Roger are fucking gold.

#26 Rush-O-Matic, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

IT IS BACK TONIGHT BITCHES! ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU MOTHERFUCKING READY?

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After two episodes, I think I see what they're looking to do. Back to back episodes with heavy callbacks to the previous lovers in Don's life. Really curious to see if they keep it up. They're doing interesting things with the side characters to keep them busy, but it seems like the only two people who are going to get a majorly satisfying ending (one way or another) are Peggy and Don...heavily shifted to Don of course.

9. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I've loved these two episodes. All I know is that I really want a fur coat now, and that Meghan's mom is the most delicious piece of work. I'm not sure how I feel about this new flame of Don's or get why he's so drawn to her, besides the "sad brunette" thing he tends to go for anyway. He should hook up with that photographer that was playing Peggy and Abe instead. Whatshisface from the TV department needs a swift punch in the face. And where's Sally, damnit?

10. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

So, I still enjoyed the episode (GLEN.) but, even by Mad Men standards, this is kind of a weird pace for leading up to the series finale. I knew we couldn't expect Mad Men to end it all like a normal show with some amped up storylines pummeling towards the end of, but I was expecting a little bit more forward momentum than we have been. Or at least to not still be introducing new characters and little stories. At this point I can even begin to figure out what we're going to get in terms of closure here. All I know is that this better not have been the last of Sally if they're sending her on this teen trip thing.

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Between Glen creeping on Betty with some fucked up power moves, and the young sloptart friend of Sally trying to blow Don at dinner, there was a lot of uncomfortably awkward shit in this episode.

I thought Don's lesson and subsequent firing of the creative was a good sequence. What a petulant fuckhead

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's funny that Wiener wrote that scene with Betty since Glen is played by his son IRL.

That conversation that Sally had with Betty about the traveler's checks? I had that exact same exchange with my mother when I went on a trip after high school over 25 years ago - about why I had to sign one line first, that the second is signed for the merchant, and that a thief could just copy my signature then. It wasn't 1970, but it's still a hilarious memory.

13. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I agree with Audrey...I'm glad there was more Sally in the last episode.

With only a few episodes left I'm wondering how the hell the writers are going to wrap this up. As a viewer I have no idea what I'd like to see. Wrapping things up in a neat and tidy way would feel like a disappointment, but I want Don (swoon) to come out on top and with the implication that he's content.

I've been re-watching the series from the beginning...I'm currently re-watching the episodes where Betty is pregnant and her father is living with them. It's been interesting watching them again from this perspective. One thing I noticed...when Rachel came back a few episodes ago she repeated something that Don said in one of their earlier episodes together. There are little pieces of dialogue and scenes that are being repeated or slightly altered in the last few episodes.

My crush on Alison Brie has been reaffirmed.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It seems like they are heading Don into more of a mentor role as to what is ultimately makes him happy or is the best at. There is a lot of talk about the other characters wondering if they are good leaders or not (Sterling and Ted) while Don has been stepping it up with everybody, even the line with his daughter at the bus station. His love life seems to be the only unresolvable constant for him. As much as they've made him a duplicitous asshole throughout the series he always comes back around and does something selfless, mostly it's been for Peggy.

15. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At this point I am watching just because I've been watching from the start, at no point will I want to go back and watch this show again, that's my prediction for the ending as well, Don staring out the window.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's odd but I feel the same way, there is little to no chance I ever rewatch the entire series. It is a really well done show probably top ten all time dramas. Just not rewatchable as other shows.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If there is a fan sitting on the window sill in Don's new office at McCann, then he'll be jumping out that window instead of staring.

18. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, at the end of the most recent episode I had this sudden thought that they would have him jump just like his opening caricature. Then I debated whether the writers would go there. I still don't know.

I think Pete and Trudy will get back together. I keep wanting to ship Peggy with someone. Every so often it's beard dude (can't remember his name).

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stan Rizzo! And, his beard is fucking epic. Although, he could easily be "ascot dude" too, as he has been totally rocking those mothers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#39 Rush-O-Matic, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mad Men has a way of mixing in or butting up next to actual historical events. This is new to me, but have you guys heard the theory that Don is
    Dan Cooper? Some of the stuff I read was before the latest episodes, which now have clues that align even more with this theory.

Dan Cooper, or DB Cooper as he is known most of the time, is an alias. The real "Dan Cooper" hijacked a plane in 1971, jumped out of it with demand money, and was never found. And nobody knows who he actually was.

I've heard several cast members, and I think even Matthew Weiner, talk about how all the character arcs throughout the seasons, but especially in this final one, are consistent with how they were introduced. And, I have always thought that the opening show credits are telling us something. So, now this year's season poster
    [​IMG]
    features two Don Drapers walking in opposite directions. I didn't even realize it until I looked again, that the dark-suited Don walking towards the viewer, is holding hands with a woman. But, the other "Don" is walking away - towards a plane, carrying a brief case full of cash, while police officers are looking for something. And, in this past episode, Don has another vision of Bert (riding in the car with him) as he heads west. Heading west after seeing an airplane during the Miller meeting. And, in this past episode, Don (as he's done before) effortlessly used a phony name / identity while trying to hunt down Diana.

Is it possible that the show ends with Don, buying a ticket as Dan? Dan Cooper. Dan Bertram Cooper. And, the suited man falling in the credits isn't a Madison Avenue jumper at all, but rather jumping from and airplane?

I know it's crazy. But it's one of those things that once you hear a few seeds and hints that other people point out, you start seeing all sorts of other ones. That would be fun.

ETA: After Googling this, apparently I've been living under a rock, and this theory has been a popular one for a while. Dur.

#40 Rush-O-Matic, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015