Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mac Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not actually sure if this is a mac problem or just a general internet problem. Either way, I would be EXTREMELY grateful if anyone can offer any advice...

Basically I can't connect to the wireless network at my place (I live in a basement suite, so the network actually belongs to the people living above me). I'm using a new Macbook Pro, and I've never had a problem connecting to a wireless server before with it. My roommate has an older PC laptop, and he can connect just fine.

(I don't know anything about this stuff, so I'm going to give all the details I can because I have no idea what's important/relevant.)

When I try to connect to the network, it says "connecting to network..." for a few seconds, then says "connection timeout."

So I went to "open network preferences" in the wireless menu and clicked on "assist me." It asked me if I want to set up a new network or solve a network connection problem, so I went with the second one ("diagnostics").

Then it asked me to choose my network port configuration: Ethernet, AirPort, or Other. I clicked AirPort.*

Then it asked me to choose the network I wanted, and I chose the one from upstairs.

This brought up a window that said my network configuration had changed.

Then I was asked to enter the password for the network.** (100% sure I have the password right.)

Then it told me my network configuration had changed again.

And finally, "Unable to join the network." Of fucking course. It said it could be due to "incorrect password/network name" (no), wrong type of wireless security (maybe... what does that mean?), or out of range (no).

*While doing this there was a "Network status" thing on the left of the window. AirPort and Airport Status were green, Network Settings was yellow, ISP was green, and Internet and Server were both red.

**At this point, only AirPort was green; everything else was red.

I feel like a retard being so clueless about this, but whatever. I hope it's only my stupidity that's keeping this from working, because I sure as hell can't afford to get it fixed if its a "real" problem.

2. TPapp

TPapp
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have a PowerMac G5 that's about 3 years old. The power button went out on me and I cannot get it to turn on. It slowly was getting worse until it crapped out on me. I've tried cleaning the leads but it did no good.

Is this a pretty generic part that I can get anywhere or is it specific to that product?

3. JDTheHero

JDTheHero
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

iPhone help please and thank you!!!

I use blackrain to jailbreak my iPhone and use yellowsn0w to allow me to use a Rogers phone with my FIDO sim card, but when I went to update the jailbreak tonight, I upgraded the phone to version 3.1.3, which installs a baseplate into the firmware which does not allow me to unlock the FIDO GSM services I need to operate the phone on my network.

I tried to downgrade to 3.1.2, which the phone does, but that base number is still there to stop me from switching carriers. Does anyone know of a hack out that can modify this and help me access the GSM I want, or knows anyway of getting around this problem? I am back using a fucking Sony Ericsson handset I had 3 years ago and, well, it sucks.

Any help/suggestion will yield a multitude of rep points and you don't even need to show me your boobies!

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You cannot downgrade the phone's baseband unless you have a particular early version of the 3G (not the 3GS).

You're SOL until someone comes up with an unlock for this baseband.

For future reference, never upgrade your iPhone until you have found an explicit unlock for the new version, but I guess you know that now.

You could try trading your phone to someone who is within an appropriate carrier (i.e. doesn't need the unlock) but hasn't upgraded their own phone. Is it a 3G or a 3GS? I have an 8gb 3G that I'm planning on selling.

5. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a side job I've been teaching a couple live-in aids how to use the computer in the house they work in. Before I started, I hadn't had much experience with a Mac, but I've gotten by just fine until now. However, I just can't figure out what's going on.

They've got Microsoft Word on the computer, and I've been using it to teach them basic word processing skills. When I went to start their lesson about two weeks ago, I noticed that one document that we routinely work with had an arbitrarily added page break after the 7 or 8th line on the first page, which completely screws it up when printed. The break appears as a thin, solid blue line going the width of the page and does not say "page break" in the middle as it normally would if it was intentionally added. I've searched everywhere about how to eliminate this and nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of it? It's starting to make me a little crazy because I know that the solution is going to be something very simple. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

6. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Not a huge problem, more of an annoyance.

Error Code - 36. The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "File name" could not be read or written.

This happens sometimes when I'm downloading shows or movies (it seems to happen more with shows, for what it's worth). It will happen when I try to transfer the .avi file over to a flash drive or external hard-drive.

Is there any way to stop this from happening, or is it caused by a bad download?

Computer Info: Macbook running OSX and using Transmission to download files.

7. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What version of OSX?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Run disk utility, and verify/repair disk permissions, and then verify/repair disk.

See how that works for you.

9. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Sorry, its Leopard.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have an Ipod touch and frequently use the wi-fi to download my favorite podcast directly to my Ipod. A while back I was able to go directly to each individual podcast itunes listings by hitting the "get more..." option in the podcast playlist. It would jump to safari for a second and then load the podcast list . First, it stopped doing this and Safari would just load itunes internet webpage of the podcast list, which I have not been able to figure out how to download from on my touch. I resorted to use the itunes store at the ipods main menu to search for my podcast through the highest rated top tens. It was a pain in the ass but worked well. Today, the shit would kick off of the store as soon as I selected my podcast's name in the top ten lists.

After much searching I have yet to find any sort of update or similar problem through google searches.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Wow. That's fucked, and I have no idea how to fix that.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it was some sort of iTunes server/store upgrade or patch that changed this behaviour.

I think your best bet is to head over to the Apple support forums, create an account (you already have one though if you're using iTunes store), and pose the question in the appropriate forum.

$0.02

12. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

On a lark I downloaded Steam and Team Fortress 2 to play on my MacBook Pro and it's not working out well. The connection issues can all be attributed to my DSL service and my computer gets incredibly hot while running the game (~150 degrees Fahrenheit even with smcFanControl cranked all the way up).

Was it a terrible idea to try to run a game like TF2 on a laptop or is there something I can do to make this more manageable?

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Don't know... but I've got TF2 running on my PowerBook (latest 17" with 8GB RAM, and the 500GB solid state drive), and it's rocking without a problem.

14. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The extra RAM and Solid State drive might make the difference. I've been thinking about getting another 2 gigs in preparation for the release of StarCraft II anyway.

I've noticed over the past couple of months that my laptop has been running a little bit hotter than it did before and I think it might be that the fans have been sucking up cat hair. I guess I'll have to get some compressed air and see if that helps the ventilation.

15. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, so I bought my wife a new Macbook Pro and I was wondering if there is a way to tether my iPhone to it in order to connect to the internet. I don't have WIFI in the building that our restaurant is in, but I do have good reception(full bars) for the phone.

I'm sorry if this is a juvenile question but I'm just this side of computer illiterate. To make things worse, this is the first Mac we have ever owned(outside of an iPhone and iPods) so I'm not at all familiar with Apple's operating system.

Thanks in advance.

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In order to tether your iPhone without paying AT&T a monthly fee, it has to be jailbroken.

Whether or not you can jailbreak or how you can jailbreak, depends on your version and type of iPhone.

This has some information, but being "just this side of computer illiterate" might mean it's not worth the hassle.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

With the iPhone disconnected, go to the iPhone Settings, General, Network, and then enable internet tethering.

It should then pop up as a network option when you connect to your MacBook.

This is assuming that your carrier has enabled tethering.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

From a PM, but figured others might find it useful:

19. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in the US on AT&T and have tethering available, but I don't pay for it, so this is what I see under Network.

Notice "Setup Internet Tethering" at the bottom.

It wasn't always available, but certainly has been since the "Enable 3G" option came out, so I assume you have the latest iOS version.

Attached Files:

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ive been downloading my favorite shows for a while but recently Jersey Shore has only been turning up in a weird format "xvid aaf."

When I download the torrent the file is split into a dozen or more smaller files with .r00 endings (01-0#s). Im using a mac Im not sure if these are .rar files that need to be put together?