Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mac Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

All things Mac OS related.

2. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My Macbook Pro cannot attach files to e-mails. This makes it really difficult trying to get assignments handed in to teachers when I'm trying to cut a deadline close.

Is this something that is normal for Mac's or is mine just messed up?

*** I'm using Hotmail and have mainly tried sending .pages files, though pictures haven't attached either, on the rare occasion I've tried sending them

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The problem lies in the fact that some programs don't have single files for data.

Mac has a concept of "packages".

Right click (or ctrl-click if still single button mouse) on the .pages file, and then select "show package contents". You'll see that there are a ton of files in a directory structure, so what looks to you like a single file, is actually a directory of files.

When using the Mail app in Mac, it's smart enough to handle this.

Hotmail has a melt-down.

If you're trying to email the file via Hotmail, compress/zip it up first. This will create a single file that Hotmail can handle.

Don't even get me started on using version control with some of those files that are actually packages.

4. Joe-Diddle

Joe-Diddle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Help! For some reason, I can't seem to download torrents, or install Windows Media Player on my Mac. I could install Bittorrent no problem, but whenever I try to download torrents (even with the best health), the download never seems to start.

The WMP is the Mac version, but never installs, all I get is an error message on it not being supported. Any ideas?

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Don't install that piece of shit WMP on the Mac.

Just go get VLC and be done with it. It plays EVERYTHING.

It's the only video playback software I have on my PC and Mac.

http://www.videolan.org

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As to your Torrent problem, try using Transmission. It's the best client I've seen yet for the Mac.

If that doesn't work, odds are your ISP is blocking torrent protocols.

7. Denver

Denver
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Aside from VLC, I'd recommend Flip4Mac if you want to play WMVs directly in Quicktime Player. Integrates seamlessly and works smoothly. The free version is all you need if you just plan on watching, and it doesn't bug you to upgrade or anything like that.

8. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

uTorrent is available for Mac. Rejoice.

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

alongside this, download Perian, which will pick up all the other obscure formats floating around.

10. JDTheHero

JDTheHero
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I use Vuze (formerly Azures) for my Mac and it works wonderfully. I can stream videos from my iMac through my Xbox so it saves me the hassle of burning them onto DVD's.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I use Rivet to stream stuff to my XBox, or other media players. Awesome little app.

12. mikebegood

mikebegood
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm going to Australia for a study abroad and I wanted to get my mom a webcam before I leave. Unfortunately she's got an old iBook G4 and I know shitall about Macs. Any recommendations for a Mac compatible webcam?

13. Jesse

Jesse
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I have the latest version of ichat on a computer with a built in isight camera. I am trying to video chat with someone using the latest version of AIM and a USB webcam. When he invites me and I click accept I get an error message saying there was a communication error. When I invite him I get a message saying he didn't respond and he gets no opportunity to accept.

I am able to video chat with others using ichat and AIM but I encounter the same problem with multiple people using AIM. I have tried to troubleshoot this myself but it is obviously beyond my capability.

This is probably not a specific Mac problem but I am hoping that one of you Mac users has encountered the same issue and has some idea how to rectify it.

Thanks all.

14. NurseNikki

NurseNikki
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I bought my daughter an iBook G4 for her birthday, and I am in the process of getting it all ready to go. I have logged her into iTunes using the existing account she already has, but when I try to sync her iPod, it wants to wipe the iPod, which means she would lose all the music she has purchased from iTunes.

I'm looking for a way to get the purchased music off her iPod onto iTunes on her iBook. There is no option in iTunes to re-download purchased music.

Any help would be appreciated

15. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apple used to sell their own branded webcam called iSight. I can't make promises about their quality but they certainly work.
    The only current cameras i can find on apples site:
    If she has 10.4.9 - http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TX831 ... TQ5NDQxMTU
    If she has 10.4.11 http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TS665 ... TQ5NDQxMTY

... though if she has 10.4.anything she should be able to get to that point by auto-update

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

17. mikebegood

mikebegood
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Ended up getting her this Cam and using the Macam drivers. I've tested it and so far it works fine on Skype, even though it shows up as "No Cam Connected" when using the Macam application.

18. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've got a 15" Macbook Pro from late 2006. It's pre-unibody case. My hard drive is starting to go clickety click which I know spells impending doom. No worries as I'm very nerdy about backing up my shit. I only run full system backups for my computers once a week, but since the clicking started, I back up the days work on flash drives just to make sure I lose nothing.

Back on point. I have no experience ripping into these tightly packed macbooks. I've seen a few videos online and it doesn't look too difficult to replace the hard drive. Is replacing the hard drive in these machines doable for the inexperienced?

I've built my own pc desktops for years, but have never gone inside a computer that seems to have no space and room for any error.

I've been quoted anywhere from $35 from one shop in the area to swap it out for me all the way up to 3 hours at $90 an hour at another place. I've been trying to tell all of them that I only need it swapped and I'll handle all data transfer, etc. Only one guy seemed to get it.

So, should I feel confident that this is a cake job and try it myself or is it better to err in the side of caution and drop $35 to have somebody else swap it out?

Also, the machine is running OSX 10.4 tiger on it and I'm planning on just installing everything fresh with Snow Leopard and just transfer my data. I have a new mac mini that came with install disks of snow leopard. Does anybody know if those disks will work on my macbook? I know the upgrade to snow leopard is only $29 and includes the full ox so I don't really need to buy the box set. (I have a disk image with iLife 09 on it, so I really don't need the full box set.) Since I have the disks with the mini, I'd like to save the $29. Not a big deal, but any info there would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Easily done. I've regularly swapped out super drives and hard drives in the last 4 versions of MacBook, and while they may be pretty tightly packed, there aren't any real "fuck-me"s in the process as long as you take your time and pay attention.

I also loctited the screws when I was putting it back together, which helped keep the screws in place in the long run. (The red loctite, 222).

20. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Nettdata,

Thanks for the info. It ended up being infinitely easier than I thought. Just took my time and swapped it out. I watched a video online beforehand to have an idea of the process. It saved me at least $35 or so and now I'm much less afraid of the inside of this box.

Now onto reinstalling all my software and transferring all my settings over.