Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Louie

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by miles, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I really hope that they don't fuck it up and get rid of it for some reason... as everyone else has said, it's a fantastic show.

2. miles

miles
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

It has been picked up for a 2nd season:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.avclub.com/articles/fx-renews-louie-for-a-second-season,43762/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.avclub.com/articles/fx-renew ... son,43762/</a>

3. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What did people think of the season finale? I thought it was kind of weak, nothing really attention-grabbing.

4. rockmanj

rockmanj
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I liked the season finale; it was that weird mix of sad and funny that the show seems to be great at.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It was nicely not clichéd, with no real finale... it was just more of a shit goes on kind of thing.

I really, really like the show.

6. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After the finale, it was pretty evident that he wrote this season under the assumption that the program would not be renewed for a second, which is why it works so spectacularly as a stand-alone, almost miniseries-like show. We're given eight or nine episodes showing the mounting problems with his post-marriage life: learning how to take care of his kids without a spouse present, his attempts to reinvigorate his sex life, the creeping approach of old age, etc., all culminating with a kind of epiphany. So much of the show's humor is derived from him being forced into impossibly uncomfortable situations where he has to pretend to want things he doesn't actually care about, i.e. random pussy, a film career, organized religion, and so on. In the finale, we see his character recognize that his happiness is contingent on embracing the things that bring him authentic joy and which come to him naturally. For him, that means raising his children and masturbating. Everything else is just ego and irrational fear. It seems like such an oversimplified message, but consider how many of us live life according the "Should Be" school of thought and you realize how profound CK's point actually is.

Excellent television. Just excellent, excellent television.

7. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Agreed. Finally watched the last three episodes last night. Easily one of the most unique shows I've ever seen, and pretty much the perfect way to end the season.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just watched the first season all back to back, and my disorganized thoughts thus far:

1) Much of the humor doesn't have a punchline, and requires the viewer to simply be able to laugh at life/misery/absurdity, etc. This will go over the head of a lot of viewers.

2) The episode on the Catholic Church was one of the darkest things I've ever seen on TV, and completely spot on. Wrapped up the entire absurd, cruel, banal and hypocritical nature of the church in one "if you don't laugh you'll cry" segment.

3) CK will take his own life at some point in the next ten years.

9. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

#3. During the weed smoking episode (which had me on the floor, "I've never smoked pot. In front of you. Right now."), I remember thinking that as soon as Louie has an empty nest he's gonna crawl inside a bottle and a bong and a few years later we'll just hear about another comedian dying from an OD.

I really hope to see more Ricky Gervais in the second season, everything he said as doc/friend had me in tears.

10. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Gervais was comedy gold every time he was on camera. I can't imagine anyone playing that character better. Waiting for another season to start (any word on when this will be?) is going to be awfully tough. I think I've already watched every episode 2-3 times.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Season 2 just kicked off tonight! Holy crap, I had no idea.

Woot!

12. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Dammit I could have sworn it was the 28th. Why did my utorrent not grab this for me?

13. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What an awesome 2nd season opener. I don't think any episode of any show has had me laughing so hard that I almost cried, and then at the end of the show...... Almost crying. That was fucking awesome. And Genius.

14. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This new sister character is so ugly it's physically painful to look at her. Thank god she's funny.

15. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I just found out that the lady who plays Pamela is also the voice of Bobby Hill. (She was also the wife on Lucky Louie). Shit like that blows my mind.

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And she's Marcy the foul mouthed little fuck puppet on Californication.

17. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at a woman wailing while saying, "Daddy, I'm so sorry". I've done other things to that, but not laughed that hard.

18. taikaviitta

taikaviitta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The accident scene was so fucking hilarious that I had to stop watching for a good 20 minutes to catch my breath again.

She's not coming back. Here's a clip of CK explaining that he doesn't give a fuck about continuity.

#38 taikaviitta, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED. I'M BORED.

I laughed my ass off.

#39 Nettdata, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh man that scene, when he's just going nuts to The Who but doesn't know all of the words. Fucking lost it there, what a great episode.

I did feel bad because where I live those are not called Brazilnuts at all, still called niggertoes. Its not that we don't know how offensive it is, its just a simple case of if a Whitey says nigger in the woods and there is no black folk to hear it...