Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Louie

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by miles, Jun 29, 2010.

1. miles

miles
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Comedian Louis CK's new show premiers tonight at 11 on FX. I am so excited for this, it should be hilarious.

<a class="postlink" href="http://punchlinemagazine.com/site/louis-c-k-escape-to-reality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://punchlinemagazine.com/site/louis ... o-reality/</a>

2. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like Louis CK (so does everyone), but don't really see how his brand of stand-up comedy will translate to a show, especially on a network (FX) with censorship.

3. DrunkBilliken

DrunkBilliken
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm excited for this show. His stand-up is laugh till it hurts funny, so I figure his show has to be at least good enough to check out. As far as the show being on FX goes, they get around it well enough for It's Always Sunny, so I don't think the censorship should be too big of a deal.

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you watch it? The second episode that started at 11:30(?) had the word faggot in it about 20 times in the first 5 minutes.

I like the whole idea of him playing himself. A very successful comedian that is being a single dad with two girls. I hate it when they try to sitcom comedians like LCK. It just doesn't work.

I'm very happy they did back to back episodes too because it gave you a feel for the development of the character and show.

5. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The first time they tried the series on HBO, each episode was loosely based on each of the stories he told in his original HBO stand-up. You could tell by the end of the season they were running out of material, like they didn't expect him and Jim Norton talking about dicks and fags would last that long. I was one of the few who prayed for another season. Good to see it's being given another shot.

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That show failed because they tried to play it off that Louis worked in a fucking muffler shop. I was praying that they weren't going that route with him this time. If you've heard some of his bits and interviews on of the best things about his comedy is his take on current goings ons. He did a great rant about wifi in airplanes when it first became available.

7. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The best thing about his comedy is that he mocks things perfectly. For example, the guy on roller skates with the Kenny G haircut and the speedo. I laugh every time I think of that and I heard it over a year ago.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was... mediocre. I know there's material to be mined, and I hope they hold out for enough time to catch an audience. But even as a Louis C.K. fan, it was just "meh".

I do, however, agree that it's 1000x better than the "Hey, let's make Louis a mechanic" show on HBO.

9. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I agree, the show itself isn't good. It's not bad, but it's marginally watchable. Nick DiPaolo had the funniest line of the entire show so far, which doesn't bode well for the show.

10. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I enjoyed the first two episodes except for one thing... the final scenes. In the pilot, the girl running to the helicopter seemed like a Family Guy joke to me. "Sorry, my helicopter is here to take me to Justin Beiber's b/c he just got a powerpad for his old NES and Gary Coleman's ghost is going to join us."

And the end of episode #2 with him making out with the woman was just kind of predictable. There's a sad, quiet humor to it, but it wasn't in keeping with the rest of the show.

What I do like is the format where the first ten minutes is him in some kind of situation and then the last 20 minutes is more of a narrative. I don't really recall seeing that done before, and I really dig it.

11. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really loved tonight's episode. Ricky Gervais was brilliant, again. Nick Dip did really well too and Louie's in show stand up was killer.
    Hope this third episode is a sign of things to come after a shaky premier last week.

12. miles

miles
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

The last few episodes have been great. In the last episode, I loved how Louis balances his serious moments with silliness.

His talk outside the Comedy Cellar with the heckler lady was a brutally honest depiction of the world of most stand-up comics.

13. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This interview gave me a good appreciation of what LCK is going for in this show. I think the fact that he's not going for any kind of formula is going to make this show a turn-off for a lot of people. Not to mention there will be a lot of moments/episodes that just kind of miss what they're going for.

But that is also kind of why I love this show. Lots of hilarious moments, a weird dark and lonely energy to it, and it just goes in any direction it wants. Not really like any other show I've seen.

14. Liberace

Liberace
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Robert Kelly: Ma, tell me you love me. Do you love me? I wanna hear you say it. Just once. Ma, do you love me? MA! DO. YOU. LOVE. ME!? MA!?

15. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who knew he could act?

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Robert Kelly (I think); More than just Dane Cook's sideshow.

Louis C. K.'s Sideshow.

17. miles

miles
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Jesus Christ. That last episode was graphic. Made me uncomfortable watching it.

Funny:
    How casual the guy was in rebuilding the church statue of Jesus on the cross, smoking a cigarette as he was pounding the nails into Jesus's wrists.

18. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I got rid of one of my DVR boxes and forgot to set the series recording, so I'm catching up now. I fear there won't be enough people who get & enjoy this show for it to go more than a couple seasons. I'm currently watching episode 7, with his mother arriving unannounced. I've seen the end of it already but, holy shit, the reason this show is phenomenal is because it's just 24-minutes of nonstop being uncomfortable and feeling sorry for the protagonist.

19. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was the point. This show is incredible. Last night erased any doubts I had about it.

20. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Absofuckinglutely. It took them maybe two episodes to catch their stride, but it is now, consistently, the funniest show on television. Fucking awesome.