Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Linux / Unix / Solaris

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

All things to do with a REAL operating system.

2. huh

huh
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I tried Linux once and I couldn't even set up an internet connection for my browser. I want to try using Linux again. Where should an idiot start?

3. jockel

jockel
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Check out Ubuntu, it has gotten pretty easy to get it up and running (on not too exotic hardware). You can also boot from the Live-DVD to check how it runs on your system before you install it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What he said. Ubuntu is about the closest thing to a proper desktop linux distro that will install easily and on just about any relatively modern hardware configuration.

5. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Anybody have any experience with SPARC assembly language? I'm working on a project on performing a cyclic redundancy check and could use a few pointers if anyone on here knows anything.

6. Pow

Pow
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm terrible at *nix. I'm setting up a NFS server on ubuntu server, with vmware server on top of Ubuntu. The server I'm using is an HP with dual NICs. I'm having a bitch of a time trying to trunk multiple VLANs on two NICs.

Ideally, I would like to load balance on the two NICs and get 2x 1GB network access. Is this realistic?

It seems like for management of the ubuntu server, it needs to have an IP address on one of the physical NICs, rather than a 'vlan interface'. Does this make sense?

Ideally I would like it to work like this:
    -One vlan interface that could be accessed via either NIC for management/storage
    -trunking 3+ other vlans through the ubuntu server to the vmware server, including the management/storage vlan.

If that's not realistic, maybe someone can help me understand the problem I'm currently having instead.

I have the first NIC doing the trunking, and the second NIC which is just a physical static IP as an access port. I have applied an IP address on the VLAN interface on the first NIC, but I cannot simultaneously reach both IP addresses. If I add a 'route add default gw <ip>', then whichever subnet that IP is in is now reachable. If I add two statements like this only one is still reachable.

I've done a little bit of reading, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this that doesn't require some 50 line configuration file, and adding scripts in multiple directories. Can someone set me straight here?

7. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How do you have it configured on your switch? You'll need to set up link aggregation to get the 2x1GB you want. On Nortel switches it's called MLT (multi link trunk) and on Cisco I believe it's called EtherChannel.

8. Pow

Pow
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm a Cisco guy - I've got the switch side covered. Since Ubuntu doesn't run spanning tree (to my knowledge) there wouldn't be any restriction on the switch preventing it from load balancing over two links. If ubuntu creates a single interface and bridges the BPDUs from the switches across the interface, then yes, I suppose I would need an etherchannel. Does ubuntu support something like that? Right now the switch doesn't have knowledge that both ports are connected to the same device so an etherchannel wouldn't technically be necessary.

I mean right now, I can't even ping addresses on both NICs so I feel like I'm a few steps away from achieving best-case loadbalancing.

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Look up the NIC model and see if it supports "teaming."

It's a driver-level feature, not an OS feature. When you set up a team, a new network interface is created that you can assign an IP address to.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

While I am by no means a hardcore network config guy, I have configured some funky trunking/multiplexing quad-port NICS in the past (usually on Solaris), and they've all required the switch to be configured to handle it. This config then binds all 4 ports into one big, aggregated feed, both inbound and outbound. So 4x1GB ports get morphed (logically) into 1x4GB port.

This enabled a single-upload channel that was an aggregate of the 4 ports, which isn't the same as a bonded/teamed pair of NIC's.

My understanding of teaming is that (in Linux, anyway), the kernel sets up both NIC's to have the same MAC address, and allow both to accept the inbound network traffic, and it will send outbound packets in a round-robin manner.

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You actually need to configure both sides.

BTW, it may or may not be considered "teaming" - manufacturers call it different things. It may be called link aggregation, or it may be called by the specific protocol used by the switch, like Etherchannel. Could also be called "bonding." This is typically a driver-level thing so manufacturers can call it different things.

Etherchannel - or the equivalents in various other switches - is great connecting switch-to-switch. The switches know how to handle it. When you set up Etherchannel to a NIC, though, you must have a driver-level configuration to set the same IP address and MAC address for both ports and to support load-balanced outbound data transfer.

I'm not going to say it's impossible to configure only at the switch level because I can see how the switch OS could be written to handle it, but I've never seen it configured only at the switch level. I just did some Googling to see if I could find a product that supports it at the switch-level only, but I can't find anything.

Since all roads lead to Wikipedia, though, I did find this:

Looks like *nix supports it at the OS level.

12. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sorry if I was misleading, I never meant to imply that it only had to be configured at the switch level. I didn't know his skill level so I just wanted to make sure he knew he also had to configure it at the switch as well as on the server.

13. Pow

Pow
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It definitely looks like 'nic teaming' was the phrase I was looking for. Unfortunately for most of the documentation I could find in 5-10 minutes on the subject was all windows based for a HP DL380 server. It says that you may need to change a BIOS setting but I couldn't find any settings that were remotely indicative of bonding support. The drivers should support it as it's a pretty common HP server. If it presented as a single interface to the OS it would make a ton of sense, but it presents two. Somehow I need to make Ubuntu do some OS magic to turn it into one interface.

As far as switch/os config - if it has one mac address a bonded/etherchannel config on the switch makes sense. The matter then becomes setting the load balancing algorithm on the OS, which is where I'm stuck.

If someone has more info on setting up nic teaming on ubuntu or a similar flavor, I would be grateful. Otherwise I'll dig deeper into the chasms of google and ubuntu forums.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

15. huh

huh
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Can someone help me with this?
    I've never used this OS before but it has become a requirement for my computer science class. Now I have a freshly installed ubuntu 9.10 but I can't connect wirelessly.

When I click on the network icon, there are no wireless networks available. (Disabled?)

And I've tried maybe activating it, but my Hardware Drivers come up empty.

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c018 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 11)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 11)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
    02:03.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
    02:0a.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)
    02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)

[​IMG]

16. rexmundi

rexmundi
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Hey, Weird Question. I really want to make one of my personal laptops into a linux machine. I love the os for any number of reasons but there is one large problem.... Any type of java web app seems to run super slow. Like I cant watch hulu on a 1.6ghz core duo laptop with 2gigs of ram. Is there a known workaround to fix this?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a video card driver issue.

I run linux/java on a few laptops, and have never had any issues, but getting the graphics cards working, and in the proper resolution, can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.

Ensure that you have the right graphic card driver installed and configured.

Be sure that the video settings are of the proper native resolution and colour depth for the card.

If your video settings are different than your native video resolution/depth, it could be trying to do on-the-fly transformations, which can be quite intensive.

Other than that, ensure that you're running the latest Java Runtime Engine.

18. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Rather than reinstalling, I'm coming to the board for help. I really don't mess with Linux, however I installed Ubuntu 10.04 the other day and just within the past few days I've gotten a segmentation fault whenever I try to upgrade or update packages.

Synaptic doesn't work and neither does apt-get in command line. I've tried clearing the *.bin files, but no dice.

Any ideas?

19. rexmundi

rexmundi
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Were you playing around with the users and permissions? Try using the sudo command when using the apt-get command. If that doesn't work try it from the root account. Note, the sudo command will require a password, but it is going to be the user password not the root password.

20. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's ubuntu so you always have to use sudo, unless you "unlock" (for lack of a better term) the root account.

But yeah, make sure you're using sudo.