Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Let's Go Bowling - 2010-2011 Bowl Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by LucasJackson, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ditto

2. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anyone else think that the ESPN people were acting like complete assholes after the game? The one walked up and just pulled Luck away from the other media people while he was in the middle of talking to them, then they try to force Harbaugh to say he's leaving Stanford during the trophy presentation. A little professionalism would be nice.

3. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been hearing reports that Rich Rod has been fired since about 3 today. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/01/04/11/RichRod-reportedly-fired/landing.html?blockID=384719&feedID=3701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/01/04/1 ... eedID=3701</a>

Last I heard was the decision was made, but the process has not been completed yet.

4. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Who do you think will be our new coach....All likelihood says that it is not Harbaugh

5. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For some reason, fox sports Detroit loves to make wild calls days before they are ever put into Action. Rosenberg and Errmani from there are both idiots.

6. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like Pryor got a shiny new trophy to sell.

7. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With every passing day it seems less likely it will be Harbaugh, and more likely to be Hoke. I've also been hearing a lot of Jon Gruden and Les Miles on the radio. I have no idea what to think anymore.

Also, no official word yet on if RR has actually been fired. What I heard this morning is that he wants more money than 2.5M(?) he'll already be getting, which is stalling things. I have no idea if any of that is true, and don't think he deserves more if it is true.

8. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

We are well and truly fucked. We should have been getting this coach in NOVEMBER, not January.

No way we can hire anyone halfway decent now.

We are the new Notre Dame.

Good lord....we are the new Notre Dame. Wandering the wilderness forever.

It's just beginning to set in...

Michigan Football is dead.

9. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tressel is spineless for letting them play in the bowl game. He should have suspended them for selling their Big10 Championship rings from 2008. If the game didn't mean anything then, why should it now? He even sold his Sportmanship award. Classless.

Even worse, the NCAA showed it's true colors by making them eligible for the bowl game. So the NCAA is allowed to make bad decisions to make money but their athletes can't? They basically force them to go pro and lose money but they are sure as shit not going to issue refunds if they suspend players from the bowl games.

Bullshit.

10. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Have you started crying and writing yet?

I don't understand why they are allowed to sell rings and such. I do understand giving it to a charity, even a sick kid or something along those lines but selling them for personal profit seems wrong.

11. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They aren't allowed.

They have to repay the NCAA any money they made from selling their possessions.

12. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently now RR is fired. There was a press conference at 12:30 today. Now what?

13. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have you heard something I haven't? You just caused my heart rate to skyrocket as I frantically checked all my sports blogs and news sites. Nothing about Luck, unless you count Harbaugh meeting with the 49ers at an undisclosed location.

14. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

So do they get fined if they don't do that or some other form of punishment? Having played sports all through school I cannot imagine selling something I'd worked my ass off to win.

Sorry dude.

I don't see him coming out with the threat of there being no NFL season next year. That's just my personal feeling though. Either way you'll have the answer to the question on Jan 15th.

15. zwtipp05

zwtipp05
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

They don't repay the NCAA, they have to donate to charity the same amount they got for the things they sold.

16. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could he come out and enter the draft because of the threat of a rookie salary cap in a new CBA? If he comes out for this draft, he might still get somewhere around what Sam Bradford got last year (50 mil I think). Not sure what the salary cap will be, if it even gets done, but I would imagine that it would be substantially less than what Bradford and Stafford got the past 2 drafts. Then again, maybe not, what the hell do I know?

17. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) if it gets finished this year will apply to anyone drafted in 2011. Andrew Luck would not have avoiding that as an incentive for leaving Stanford early. The local radio stations here seem to think that Luck will return to Stanford whether Harbaugh is the coach or not. Harbaugh is supposed to have a handshake agreement with the 49ers. He is also on a private plane right now going to Miami so who knows.

18. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Ok so I know money money money but why come out and basically practice in the NFL for an entire season because there's a strike going on as opposed to staying, being assured a season and being the big man on campus everyone loves? He should go Van Wilder and stay IMO. Sorry JGold. I know you're gritting your teeth.

19. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's the possibility of a lockout. It isn't a foregone conclusion. In my opinion, there's too much money at stake for the two sides not to come to an agreement. All of the doom-and-gloom statements from owners and union leaders are just negotiating ploys. I hope I'm not wrong, and you all can berate me in a few months if I am, but I would be honestly shocked if there's actually a stoppage of play. The concern I have is that if a deal isn't done soon, teams with new coaches (like the Panthers) will miss valuable OTA and minicamp practices to adjust to a new system.

Luck's a smart kid. Jerry Richardson, the Panthers owner, is the co-chair of the league's labor committee. Teams aren't allowed to talk to undergraduates, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD find a way to slip it to Luck that there will be a 2011 season. Please. Oh God, please.

EDIT: To steer this a bit back toward bowl season. How fucking stupid is Cam Newton? Every time I hear him give an interview, I'm absolutely shocked. If he can write his name correctly on the Wonderlic I'd give him a standing ovation. Of course, the same could be said of Ryan Mallett, and even Andrew Luck sounded mildly retarded after the Orange Bowl. But I still love him. Also, I added the stuff about Mallett and Luck so I didn't feel racist.

20. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If Luck chooses to come out, even if the NFL and the NFLPA reach a deal, he (and all the other players) might be locked out until right before the actual season. Missing all of the off season mini camps and OTA's could really set him back.