Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Let's Go Bowling - 2010-2011 Bowl Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by LucasJackson, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Fuck my friends, theyre all heading to AZ for the Fiesta Bowl for New Years now. I love my team, but Im not spending $1000 just to watch the Sooners wipe the floor with them.

2. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really thought this thread might get a little more action. I guess everyone is waiting until New Years for when the real bowls start.

Nice start for the big ten. Big win for Iowa, and a worthless, but enjoyable win for Illinois. Can't wait to see what the badgers and spartans can do. Man, did the big 12 get fucked over in the match ups. Some shitty games for that conference.

3. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am expecting the same but I am hoping for the best. UConn really needs to get a QB that can actually throw the ball.

4. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

And Michigan. The fate of our football program will be decided Jan 1, after the bowl game, when the Athletic Director Dave Brandon finally reveals his hand.

If he can get Jim Harbaugh, former UM QB and current Stanford coach to get to Ann Arbor, Fire Rich Rod.

Otherwise, give Rodriguez one more season.

Addtionally, the word on ESPN is that the Buckeye Five had to pledge that they were returning next season if they wanted to play in the Sugar Bowl.

5. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't really understand how the rules for underclassmen declaring work. What is there to prevent someone like Pryor from saying "I swear I'll be back next year coach" then going back on his word right after the bowl game. It's not like Tressel would have any way to punish him. Honestly, the only one who would probably even get drafted is Posey, and he'd probably be a late rounder. Pryor is Tebow without the intangibles, Adams could probably use another year of seasoning, and the rest are inconsequential.

6. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

WOWOWWW DID UNC EVER FUCK UP!!!

EDIT: Never mind, they're going to OT. My brother (a Duke fan) just about shit himself from laughing so hard.

EDIT 2: Deja Vu for Dooley...first at LSU, now here

7. tgill

tgill
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Between the UNC/Tennessee and the KSU/Syracuse game how bad is college football? The coaching, and officiating has been absolutely horrible. I understand these aren't the top tier teams, but holy shit has today been an awful day for football. I can not believe some of these calls. The personal foul at the end of the KSU game was embarrassing to the NCAA and the game of football. The very next game players are doing much worse and there is no call. Then UNC has about 18 people on the field, could be called for multiple penalties yet they only lose 5 yards and are able to kick a game tying field goal.

8. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Didn't see the games, but for this you do realize you can't be penalized more than 5 yards for having too many men on the field, right? It doesn't matter if the whole team is out there.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyway, since I'll be too drunk tomorrow and probably won't wake up early on New Year's I wanted to throw out my predictions for the big bowl games now.

South Carolina over FSU by ten.
    Northwestern over TT by 3. Close game, could go either way.
    Michigan over Mississippi St in a close game, and proving that St shouldn't be ranked.

MSU vs Alabama is tough to call. My gut says Alabama is probably going to win, and possibly by a large margin. I still have no idea how the crimson tide blew that game against Auburn, and really feel they could be better than their record. If the spartans win, that would be the best season a team could possibly have without going to a BCS bowl game. The thing is, the spartans have looked great at times, but looked pretty poor at other moments. Specifically my issue is that they've gotten worse as the season went on. They got killed by Iowa, and as their schedule got easier they put games in spots that they easily could have lost. 'Bama only really looked bad against the game cocks, and even though they slumped in the second half against Auburn, that's still a good showing against the #1 team in the country.

I think Penn St beats Florida, but I don't really care. Both teams woefully underperformed this season.

The late New Year's day games are both going to be blow outs. I know, only Oklahoma is supposed to get a blow out win, but I feel the badgers have TCU beat on both sides of the ball, and are way, way better on offense. I'll throw a score out of 45-20. Maybe I'm a bit generous with the badgers, but I just can't see any reason TCU is favored here. They almost lost to San Diego St! The win over Utah doesn't mean much as Boise St and Notre Dame did pretty much the same thing, albeit with a few less points.

Stanford rolls VT. VT puts up a fight, but ultimately loses 38-24 or by a similar score.

Ohio St vs Arkansas is going to be a great game to see if the SEC is still that far ahead of the other conferences. I don't think they are at this point (although still the best) and I won't be surprised to see the buck eyes pull out the win. I think this is a game that comes down to the last drive and I'll be rooting hard for Ohio St.

LSU vs Texas A&M. I think LSU will mop the floor with them, but I haven't seen much out of A&M. What I did see didn't impress me. I think the big 12 was weak this year, and A&M is only ranked because of that. Again, I mostly only watched LSU though and I know they're a good team.

Auburn vs Oregon: Ok, Auburn went through a much tougher schedule. If you really still disagree, you just don't understand the sport. HOWEVER, I don't think that necessarily proves Auburn is the better team. They're very good, but a bit lucky to be undefeated. They have 6 games they won by 8 or less, and could have lost any of those, especially against 'bama. Some of those close games weren't even against good teams (Kentucky?). Oregon played weaker teams, but absolutely rolled them, including a very tough Stanford team. I'll take the duck's superior offense and predict they win in a shoot out. They'll need to put up a lot of points because Auburn will run all over them, but I think they do just enough. We'll see. I'm almost praying for an Oregon win.

Edit: Oh, and the BCS is fucking stupid. That can never be said enough. If they don't even make moves towards fixing this abomination I might consider not watching college football 3 years from now and refusing to go back until they change it. I am dead serious. The people in charge deserve to be lynched.

10. tgill

tgill
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I know. When you see the play you will see how bad it was. They had 18 players on the field and I don't think they were in any kind of legal formation. Yet they were able to spike the ball with 1 second left and kick the game tying field goal. They should really adopt the NFL 10 second run off rule.

The NCAA should be ashamed of itself after today. KSU was cost a shot at forcing OT because a kid was celebrating a touchdown(very mild celebration), yet UNC was allowed to force OT even though they had almost twice the allowed number of players on the field at the end of regulation.

11. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love how everywhere I read reports on the bowl games but the UConn game is always addressed like this. No analysis just OK wins next game.

12. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You want to make the prediction that UConn even has a chance? Go ahead and say it if that's what you think, but there's no analysis because in all likelihood OU is going to win in a blowout.

If you wanna side with UConn, though, you wouldn't be that far off. Everyone was saying the same thing about OU-Boise State in 2007, so if you're a Huskies fan why not make that claim?

13. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

EXACTLY.

Also..the Big 12 is pitifully weak. A 6-6 team smacking around the Big 12 runner up right now...

Ohio State and Michigan State could have probably beaten Big 12 Champ Oklahoma, and Wisconsin would effing mop the floor with them.

14. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Of course I am siding with the school I graduated from. Just pointing out how the game is ignored.

UConn has a very good offensive line and a running back in Todman who says he might declare for the draft. I believe he had the second most rushing yards in the NCAA this season.

But their passing game can be really pathetic at times. If you are watching this game you will probably see some of the ugliest passes you have ever seen.

I don't think UConn is going to win, but I think it is going to be closer than most think.

15. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm going to agree with you on this. It may be my Big East homerism showing through, but I think they've got a shot. Oklahoma has had well-documented struggles in BCS games in which they were heavily favored, and UConn's running game may be able to keep Oklahoma's offense off the field. Plus as a WVU student/fan I need you guys to win to make me feel better about our loss to you. Although we shit the bed so hard in our bowl game it doesn't really matter at this point.

16. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

*discloser i'm a nebraska fan*

Nebraska looked like absolute ass tonight, don't get me wrong. Nebraska also beat Washington by 35 earlier in the year @ UW. It is hard to get up for a game where you beat the shit out of a team earlier in the year, and you shouldn't even be in the bowl you are in, and the other team has the "they kicked our ass earlier in the year" revenge factor going on. That said, there is no excuse for the way the Huskers played tonight. It was an abortion. Congrats to UW.

17. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Truth.

In reality, I'm irritated at the sportswriters who want to hand the Big 10 Championship next year to Nebraska right off the bat. Nebraska is going to a HARDER LEAGUE. It's not 2006 anymore and Ohio State was not just assraped by Florida 41-14.

The Big 10 has improved by leaps and bounds, and the Huskers are only going to beef the league up.

18. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Nebraska is going to get their asses kicked next year unless Pelini does something different on defense and focuses on stopping the run. Our LB's are weak (outside of David) and the depth on that unit blows, we do have about 20 DB's on the roster though.

Offense needs a major overhaul and it starts with canning our charity Offensive Line coach.

19. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice to see the SEC is 0-3 going into New Years Day.

20. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Big 10 day. I see Penn State getting slaughtered, Michigan and Michigan state going either way. Northwestern gets beat in a close one. Wisconsin lays a fucking beating on TCU.