Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Learn while in college? Why would I do that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Jun 26, 2010.

1. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which brings up another good point, wear sandals in the shower.

Gloves too if he's got any distance.

2. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck yes , this goes for life in general and I have learnt from experiencing a close call.

As a man , YOU are responsible for purchasing , the proper storage , the proper application and the proper disposal of condoms and this becomes increasingly more important the older you get.

You would be suprised what women are capable of when they get it into their head that they want to get knocked up.

3. ROC711

ROC711
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

College was when I learned the art of the Friends hookup, I got hookups in high school but college is when I used them more. Hey Serena is working at the bar tonight lets get free drinks. Jenny is at the theater lets see a free movie. Friends are so board when they work and will do what they can to hook people up just to have some company, especially on the slow night at a bar or restaurant. Now to be fair you do have to hook up your friends as much as you can also, and don’t over do it.

4. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can get jobs and leadership positions in organizations by finding positions that are open and haven't been properly advertised.

Also, go balls out and make a lot of mistakes before you have anything to lose.

5. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Conversely, if you're pulling more than your fair share of the weight don't be afraid to tactfully call it to your group's attention. I can think of so many lab groups and group projects where I did most of the experiment alone because nobody else wanted to do anything. A good solution is not to ask someone if they want to do Part A (which is what I initially did...I ASKED like an idiot. They always declined.) Direct someone. Step up and lead. Maybe your group will think you're being an ass, but it sucks when you do the majority of the work every single time. It just builds resentment on your end and your group isn't really learning to work as a team. Put on your big girl pants and direct your group.

This is a small thing, but try to be punctual to your classes. I grew up having to be at X class at least 15 minutes early. If we weren't there 15 minutes before class we were pretty much ignored the rest of the day as punishment. I grew up with a lot of rules and tradition focused on respecting our directors and teachers. It was very disciplined and very structured. I didn't like it at the time, but I'm so thankful for the discipline it gave me. My point is that if you didn't grow up with that, you need to develop something resembling that in college. A lot of people don't. At my last job I had to be at work at 7 am. So, for me, that meant I was pulling into the parking lot at 6:40 and walking in no later than 6:45 so I could put my stuff down, get settled, get some water and shoot the shit for a min. Every single day. My co-worker on the other hand walked in at 7:00 or later every morning. She wasn't fired because of that, but I think that was a contributing factor to her shitty attitude, and she didn't last long before she was fired. I think little things like that matter to your supervisor and do influence their perception of you.

6. stormmoon

stormmoon
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

This. Also keep in mind your major does not have to define what your future career will be.

7. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Learn to properly write a paper. I just returned to college after being away for 4 years to take the necessary classes to become a teacher. I am astonished at the people who struggle with classes that are almost entirely essay based. If you attend class regularly and have an even slight concept of the material, you should be able to write an essay that is at least a B.

Since returning, I haven't spent more than an hour on any given paper. I know how to format, I know how to make a good thesis, and I know how to support it. Writing a decent paper seems like a minor thing, but honestly, even if you know everything about the subject, if your writing is incoherent, you'll never get a decent grade. Conversely, if you don't happen to know a lot about the subject, you can look like an expert by forming a decent thesis and supporting it well.

Don't bitch about having to cite sources, either. That shit is easy, now. Microsoft Word does it for you. Just plug in the information and choose the appropriate type of citation, and it creates bibliographies and works cited pages for you.

Also, if you plan to go for a Liberal Arts degree, you'd better plan to go on for a masters and a doctorate. I have a B.A. in Psychology, and it is all but useless. Don't let the professors and advisers fool you: there are VERY few jobs for people with basic degrees in psychology, sociology, and philosophy. If you plan to go on for a masters or a doctorate, you can find jobs, but if you graduate with a BA in psychology and expect to find any kind of decent job, you're gonna be shit out of luck.

8. Sleeves

Sleeves
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Don't pass out in the main lounges bathroom. Campus Security will find you.

Unless you want to be known as a that kid and get in's with all the security officers.

Cough*

9. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Every semester, always have one class that you don't have to worry about. It will save your ass come exam time.

Use ratemyprofessor.com. It is the single most valuable website for a college student.

Never buy new books. New books are the biggest ripoff on the planet. Try to find someone who took the class before and see if you can get their book from them for free. This is the first best option. Second best is to hit up websites like ebay and amazon marketplace. DO NOT be afraid to get previous editions of books. The vast majority are virtually the same as the new edition and they are always remarkably cheaper. Also, a lot of times you don't need to buy the book at all. Every class I ever took had copies of the required texts on reserve in the library.

As a corollary, never sell your books back to the campus bookstore. They will give you jackshit compared to the amazon marketplace.

Take random ass classes. Basket weaving is the cliche example but most colleges are littered with classes very similar to this sort of thing. The professors are usually easygoing, the work is usually minuscule, and they will remind you learning things can be fun after you get out of that class on differential equations.

There no class, major, or internship that is worth a damn in the face of networking. The vast majority of jobs are filled through recommendations. Meet as many people as possible, especially upperclassmen during your early years. They will come in handy.

The easiest way to learn how to write is to read good writing and then copy the style.

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did my degree externally, so I don't know if this applies at all in terms of most students.

Go to seminar groups. In our case, these were run by junior lawyers in private practice looking to supplement their income. The university would send them study guides, questions and complete answers. They, in turn, didn't give a shit about actually working for the money. So they'd swear us to secrecy and just hand over the materials.

Not only were these valuable for phrasing answers exactly how lecturers like them, but they were priceless for open book exams. There were only so many ways that questions could be asked to cover the workload. So even though facts were often rotated, issues often remained the same.

My constitutional law exam (80% weighting) was open book. We had to answer three questions, and one of them was word for word the same as a seminar question. Not only did it allow me to ace that question, but freed up a lot of time to work on the other two (our exams were often set on the basis that you couldn't finish them in time).

11. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The collorary of this is don't make yourself a 'catch'. Trust fund coming your way? Got a summer gig at Goldman's? Keep that shit to yourself. The type of pussy you get by bragging about shit is not the type you want.

12. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You will also find a correlation between these classes and foreign exchange students. I would put money many universities would even have the information readily available online under student exchange information. If stuck for a class to choose try and find the ones that exchange students are pushed towards. Not only will they often be incredibly easy but you will get exposure to foreign ass to tap or at the very least come away with a greater exposure to the wider world and some friends who live internationally.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you are enrolled in a school anywhere but the South or California, transfer immediately. If you intern or work during the Summer, which school handed you a piece of paper is less important than getting the paper. Might as well be around more hot girls in less clothing and see some decent football.

14. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This can be taken one step further and just say "learn to write." Before starting the masters program, I was taking some undergraduate level classes required for my licensure, and some of classwork included online discussions requiring students to post an answer to a short essay question, and respond to at least two other answers. I was utterly amazed at the lack of grammar, poor spelling (with spellcheck, there really is no excuse) and use of slang by some students. I can only imagine what their grades were on the research papers. And, as D26 recommends masters and doctoral degrees, writing is the majority of the coursework at these levels and therefore represent a significant portion of one's grade, not to mention the masters thesis and doctoral dissertation.

And alumni. We love to hire our own (and buy from them, too if you're in sales). Volunteer at alumni functions as a means of networking. Look for relationships between alumni and faculty and work your way into them.

15. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought my use of the word corollary pretty clearly limited my statement to be a follow on of his. It was holding true for girls who you think are looking to stick a guy with a pregnancy not for every girl.

Agreed. You can get them from machines in nearly all bar toilets, there is no excuse for relying on her. Or just follow good protocol and never give your surname or go back to yours.

16. Flagrant

Flagrant
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Going along with this, make sure that you are friendly to all university personnel, including janitors, food service employees, and secretaries. They will hook you up with free food, help you with appointments, and clean your toilets. Be nice to them. Through working in my departments office as a student worker, I have gotten so much inside help and information it is ridiculous. My father was hired for the university as the tennis coach fifteen or so years ago. On the hiring committee was one of the old lunch ladies he had been friendly with (she had since changed positions.) She remembered him and it helped him out to get the job. You never know when that sort of thing will come back in your favor, or alternatively bite you in the ass.

Also, don't be that asshole who always looks like he has somewhere more important to be/is rushing. Take your time and leave a few minutes early if you're going to be late for everything. Walking into class five minutes late is fucking annoying for the rest of us who made it there on time. If you're tapping your foot in line to pay for your food, chances are no one gives a fuck and you're just being an asshole.

17. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and concur with everyone else who's said "learn to write."

No matter what your major, take a couple 200-300 level English or Philosophy classes with a heavy writing requirement (there may be other departments that work, like history or poli-sci, but I don't have experience in them, so I can't say). I've had law students send me writing samples to look over (apparently my failed career makes them look up to me), and some of them don't know how to string sentences together in a basic way.

Also, if you really want to get good at writing essays, take a class in deductive reasoning. Best bet is to take both an intro to analytical philosophy class (a class that deals largely with the structure of arguments, fallacies, etc; just ask someone in the department what to take), and a class in formal logic (the mathy-looking stuff). If you're not sure what's what in your philosophy department, and your school has course descriptions online, PM me a link and I'll help you out.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If you bring your high school girlfriend/boyfriend relationship into college with you, you will be very angry at yourself for creating such a monstrously retarded fuck-up.

Smoke pot, yes. However, do not let your circle of friends be The Stoners unless you're intentionally wasting your education.

If you're one of those weirdos that use their textbooks, never buy books from the campus store, EVER. The prices are almost as Nazi-ish as your student loan interest (the greatest con of the modern era). Buy used ones off campus bullitin boards or the Net.

Never EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER fuck or date a girl in one of your classes. From personal experience it's the Golden Taboo. You will not officially shed that until you graduate.

19. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you serious? How small was your school/course? For all of undergrad class was like Craigslist for me, I literally cannot think of how many hookups begin in bars with either party using the great icebreaker of 'hey don't I know you from Econ****?'. I must have averaged at least 3-4 hookups a semester from class alone and the same went for all of my friends.

20. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For reference I have never heard of a successful high school to college relationship, except one where they went to the same college and both are exceptionally boring people.

Best case scenario - You grow apart, have a few nasty fights and split up on mutual terms. Both of you feel stupid for not playing the single game right away.

Worst case scenario - You walk in on the basketball team running train on her using the pillow case you sleep on for clean up.

What usually happens - One or both of you quickly realize you want to enjoy the single life but are too chicken shit to break up. A ton of infidelity follows and one or both of you are emotionally scarred for life.

And no, I did not try to transition my high school relationship into college (not because I was smart, I just didn't have a girlfriend and at the time was exactly the type of loser that would have tried to keep it going) I have just witnessed what happens.