Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Learn Two Trades...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Nov 2, 2011.

1. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I once heard on the radio - it may have been a Paul Harvey segment - some commentator talking about an old Girl Scout handbook from the '30s (or something). Anyway, his point was that it contained much practical advice that would be as useful today as in the 1930s or whenever it was published. It was sort of a feel-good fluff piece.

Anyway, one bit of advice that struck me was that girls should "learn two trades, in case one of them goes out of fashion" or something like that.

Today I was having lunch with some engineers, as usual, and we were joined by a guy I will call The King. The King is, as his name implies, the king of a relatively narrow (but very important) field. He's one of these Distinguished Engineers that's in the top 2% of all the engineers at the company or something like that. If you want to know something about this particular field, you can just ask The King, because he knows it. He also happens to be a hell of a nice guy.

Well, in addition to being the King of engineering, he is also an accomplished musician, and has recorded a few albums with some of the best session players in the business. Just, you know, as a hobby - for fun.

FOCUS: Who do you know that is a star in two widely varying fields? Is the VP at your accounting firm also a backup dancer for Janet Jackson? Is one of your professors also the world champion of fly-fishing? Do people like this annoy you, because it's not good enough for them to be awesome at just one thing?

2. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't know him well, but a guy I used to roll with is a Pedro Sauer BJJ black belt. I knew he was well off since he always used to show up to class driving a Lotus. One day I stumbled across him on LinkedIn, and it turns out that he is a VP of R&D in the medical device industry. Oh, and he also has two B.S. in unrelated fields, and a Masters a third. Motivated much?

3. MainEvent007

MainEvent007
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

4. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know if these two things are related, but I have a friend who is an amateur MMA fighter and speaks conversational Polish. These are two skills that he picked up at different points in his life, but excels at both of them.

5. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the old guys I work with is a fully qualed Electrician as well as Fitter & Turner and I believe he was almost all the way through another trade apprenticeship at one stage as well.

Hopefully in a years time I'll be on the way to a second trade as well.

6. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    What kind of a fucking loser only excels at one thing? I can't be the only one here with this question. Hell, by the time you're in your early to mid thirties, you should at least be good at a few different things. If not, what the fuck is wrong with you?

7. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Paging Nett Daddy....

8. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A consultant I recently met is a master woodworker/finish carpenter as well as an amazing brewer. Just a breathtaking ability to create.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can burp really loud as well as make a killer pickle sickle. I don't know if that's as impressive as speaking a second language conversationally and being an amateur at getting my ass kicked, but I think it's good start on my way to becoming a renaissance man.

10. Canada_Girl

Canada_Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

#10 Canada_Girl, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015