Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Laptops

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you look on the laptop, there will be a sticker somewhere. I think it's 8 digits, combination of letters and numbers.

What kind of TV do you have? If you have a VGA input, it's super easy. You'll know if you have a VGA input on the TV if you have a port on the TV that looks like this:

[​IMG]

3. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Honestly, I have no fucking clue. I will check it out when I get home. What is the alternative if I don't have that? Sorry for the trouble.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The alternative is S-Video, which looks like this, and your TV almost assuredly has it:

[​IMG]

It's much lower quality, though.

5. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have a lab top that has a broken display adapter. Anytime I turn it on I get the 3 beeps and a black screen. Is there a way for me to hook it up to another labtop in order to get to the information stored on the broken ones' hard disk?

6. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nah, thats not gonna work. You'll have to take the hard drive out and get the data that way.

7. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This may have been answered somewhere already, but I don't have the energy to search this entire forum. I have an HP laptop that all of a sudden cannot detect any wireless networks (yes, the wireless button on my keyboard is turned on). What might have happened and what should I do to fix it? I'm not the most computer literate, so please respond in English.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's a really easy fix, but alas I don't have the energy to share it.

Seriously... you have any idea how much of a dick you sound like? Basically, you're asking for help, but would rather we expend all the energy because you're too lazy.

Fuck that.

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to try that at the bar.

"Hi, I'm horny but I don't really have the energy to actually seduce you, so will you just blow me?"

10. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Figured it out on my own. Thanks anyway!

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Too lazy to post what you did to fix it, too, eh?

Wouldn't want to help anyone else out who might be searching the forums, I guess.

12. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Alright, my WLAN somehow became disabled. The bluetooth settings were still active, so that may explain why my keyboard button was still lit on? I guess? Sorry if that's underwhelming.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'm having serious, serious issues with my laptop.

It takes a long time to boot up (like 30-40 minutes), and sometimes it just doesn't. When I finally am able to log in, it is essentially locked up. Eventually error messages come up, saying that there was an error and that [some program] must be terminated. Windows must always be "terminated" and it tries to re-load up (not restart, just reload) but it always must be shut down again. I can't do anything on it.

On startup, if I access the menu options and look at the error messages, it seems that I have a history of 601 errors.

I have an hp dv1030us and it's about 2.5-3 years old. I'm worried that my hard drive is going out or something. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do, or what might be happening? I'm not at home right now and my laptop is there, so I can't look at it. If anyone has ANY suggestions I would be eternally grateful. I depend on it a lot for school. I can borrow my brother's for a little for troubleshooting but he needs his for school, too.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

601 seems to be the battery, which I replaced recently so that's unrelated.

15. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is this Windows XP, Vista or 7? Are you able to get into safe mode?

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I was not able to get into safe mode any more. I run on Vista 64-bit. After letting it boot up for 40 minutes at least 20 times, I went ahead and did a factory restore. I am on my laptop right now and everything is running smoothly, so it looks like it was NOT a hardware issue. Luckily, when it started acting up about a week ago, I had the sense to move all of my files to my external hard drive.

I'm not sure what my problem was but doing the factory restore worked. I wish I knew if I directly caused a problem because I'd like to avoid this in the future.

17. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Either a virus or a windows update (same thing herp derp!)

But seriously either a virus ruined your day, or far more likely your computer was turned off during, or something was corrupted by, a failed windows update- I had a very similar problem with Win 7 x64 due to an improperly installed update, and it was a colossal pain to fix.

18. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I really like the new Macs, I think there really slick and just generally run well. I plan on using it for the standard student stuff (internet, word, excel, itunes, etc.) plus a little bit of minor video editing (I bring my flipcam to concerts/raves, record shit and edit a cool video for my friends to watch on facebook/youtube when we get back).

Any thoughts on the Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro? I'm looking primarily at the 13 inch models

19. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My vote would be the MacBook Pro, but it depends on a few things.

Are you going to take it to class? The Air is considerably lighter and thinner.

Do you need an optical drive? The Air doesn't have one built in.

The Air only has Intel graphics, where you can upgrade on the Pro. Video editing would probably work better on the Pro.

20. aotke1110

aotke1110
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I would like to recreate my work setup at home. We use laptops with docking stations and have two monitors hooked via DVI and VGA. I would like to do the same at home except with a universal docking station instead of the dell model specifically for my laptop. All the universal docking stations I've found online seem to only have one monitor output (usually comes with a connector to do either DVI or VGA). Is the only solution to run one monitor directly into the laptop and the other into the docking station?

My ideal would be able to have a space on my desk at home to connect any laptop too (kind of off to the side) and then have two external monitors and wireless keyboard/mouse, etc... setup. I know that I can just use the laptop monitor and/or run the second monitor directly into the laptop but would prefer not too.

Does anyone know of a different solution? Is there some docking station out there with two outputs that I'm just not finding?

Thanks in advance.