Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Keep moving, nothing to see here. *cough*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Sep 30, 2014.

?

What will happen?

1. Nothing, everything will carry on as normal.

35 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. People will hole up for a few days and wait for it to blow over.

11 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. All hell will break loose.

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. The Media will handle it responsibly.

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. The Media will absolutely go ape shit and will incite mass hysteria.

76 vote(s)
    83.5%
  6. Everyone will fuck Nettdata.

13 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got a boner watching him hem and haw his way through that hearing.

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If he's discussing a cardiovascular topic I'll listen to what he has to say. Topics such as pathology? I'll find someone who works in the field rather than a guy who likely paid just enough attention to pass the course 20yrs ago while in med school.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Still no media panic. It gets the big spot on CNN, but getting the same amount of attention as a banksy piece of art being removed.

As long as its not airborne, we're okay. And by okay, I'm going to act like one of those preppers and find a cabin in Wisconsin.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I really, really wonder if Big Brother stepped in before the announcement and told the mainstream media, in no uncertain terms, were they to do anything to incite a riot or panic over this.

I mean, look at how they jumped all over that Poop Cruise stuff.

6. Coke Bottle Casualty

Coke Bottle Casualty
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't even believe that's possible. This age we live in is Huxley's nightmare, not Orwell's.

7. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As long as travel to/from infected areas is allowed, I don't see how it can NOT become an issue here. Granted, not on the scale as in undeveloped countries, but still.

8. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else hear about unprotected workers power washing ebola guy's vomit off the street while some lady walks though the wash in sandals? If this shit is true we should all be very scared that this is the level of "quarantine" being observed. There are also pictures of some guy reaching into his apartment gingerly handing him a bag of take out food. Not sure if this is true or not but the pics seem legit. I would be happier about it's authenticity if I could find a more reliable source, but I've caught it on a few sites, just nothing "mainstream".

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10 ... ms-family/

Also read a really interesting article based on research done about the current outbreak. In part Dr. House! (it must be true then) states:

“If we analyse the data from past outbreaks we are able to design a model that works for the recorded cases of the virus spreading and can successfully replicate their eventual size. The current outbreak does not fit this previous pattern and, as a result, we are not in a position to provide an accurate prediction of the current outbreak”.

He goes on to say: “With the current situation we are seeing something that defies this previous pattern of outbreak severity. As the current outbreak becomes more severe, it is less and less likely that it is a chance event and more likely that something more fundamental has changed (emphasis is mine) That last bit seems rather scary.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 122936.htm

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Attached Files:

10. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is craziest thing I've read in a while. That's the last thing I would expect from anyone surrounded by a deadly disease.

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think those people should be charged criminally and the guy who came here from Liberia should be taken to with a flame thrower. Or at the very least, also charged with a crime.

13. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the health care workers who cared for Duncan while presumably taking all the necessary precautions has been diagnosed with Ebola.

There is something they aren't telling us about Ebola (cue conspiracy theory music)

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That something that they're not telling us is that there was an unreported breach of protocol.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ebola-test ... -1.2796433

15. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

ITS GONE AIRBORN! The CIA is behind this for sure.... Or someone took off their suit wrong, got some fluid on their hands then touched their eyes. Whichever.

16. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wonder how the people who had such close contact with him prior to his admission to the hospital haven't contracted it.

As somebody who worked in a hospital, I can't even imagine removing my PPE incorrectly, although typically it is worn more to protect from spreading to other patients than to protect yourself so maybe they didn't take the necessary precautions.

I still think that the CDC's cavalier attitude about their ability to manage this hasn't proven to be the case.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I don't imagine it's just the CDC in this... the hospitals also have to follow their protocols, etc.

I tend to believe the CDC...

A single case of it spreading speaks more to a mistake in individual protocol, I would say, not a conspiracy.

18. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Then they need to make sure that hospitals are properly trained on how to handle. Or send a team of specially trained health care workers.

19. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    They need to send Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Who says they weren't properly trained? Every hospital has infectious disease protocols, and it seems like these guys followed it, with a single mistake happening.

The CDC sent 10 experts to the hospital when they first found out about the case, almost 2 weeks ago, so they are on-site. REPORT HERE.

Again, it seems like it's a case of a single person making an unfortunate mistake, and then discovering the infection because they were actually following their self-diagnosis protocols.

Even the Spanish nurse who contracted it chalks it up to a mistake she made when one of her gloves touched her face as she was removing protective clothing.