Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Jimmy is a cheap bastard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

My favorite subreddit currently is Choosing Beggars. Its essentially people capturing conversations with insane cheapskates trying to get things for free or at absurd discounts. If I could have captured any of the conversations Ive had with this guy I went to school with, he would be in the hall of fame. He would to secretly fill his Grey Goose bottles with Popov and then charge anyone who took a shot. Another time, he offered to drive a group to a party store to pick up Halloween costumes for a party we were all attending that evening, and then demanded everyone throw him $10 each for gas. The store was 15 minutes away. He would invite you to lunch, then demand you compensate him if he swiped you into the dining hall. No tact, no self-awareness.

Focus: Who is the cheapest person you know?

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Were you watching my friends in college? That sounds like the kind of cheapskates I used to know.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I try to be generous with friends and others, but am cheap when it comes to myself. The worst recently was when I walked through Skid Row at 2 AM in dress clothes instead of paying for a $5 Uber. That wasn't smart.

4. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some people are just ready weird/assholes about money.

I told the story on here months ago about my friend that invited only two of my 4 kids to a birthday party. There’s also my stepdad in law who bought a car for my wife back when she was a teenager and then flipped it when selling to her, trying to profit off it by charging her more.

No shame. Money is no excuse to be a piece of shit human being.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

My only living grandparent is 94. I can already see my dad and my uncle gearing up for a fight over her estate, which has already been drawn out and settled to a T anyway. She still lives in her home and my dad is trying to convince her to move to a retirement home but my uncle doesnt want her to spend the money. I wonder why?

6. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s amazing how wills and estates being divvied up can take what may have once been a normal healthy family and turn everyone into absolute monsters

7. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was a show years ago on one of the cable channels whose focus was people like this. The title was Extreme Cheapskates. Holy shit the lengths these people would go to in order not to spend money. Clips are on YouTube.

My mother and her husband want to leave me all their property when they pass. He has kids but they are a trainwreck due to him and his ex. I've tried my best to get them to change their minds because I know it will be a shit show that I want no part of.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

My wife’s family on her father’s side are made for this thread. Her grandmother freezes everything. Fucking EVERYTHING. Not just leftovers, but shit like bread, milk. I’m surprised she didn’t freeze her husband when he died. It’s like an episode of hoarders except in their freezer.

Her children — my father in law among them — are just as bad. They penny pinch to the point it’s not even worth arguing with them. One of her uncles got mad at the other one because they wouldn’t pay for their share of charcoal they were using to cook burgers. These people are well off mind you. Upper middle class.

Fuck that.

9. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My parents grew up working in restaurants. They’ll take unused ketchup left on plates and scrape it back into the bottle.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The way blood money makes the mask slip on people, it turns my spine into glass. Stop planning future vacations over the deaths of the people who raised you, you fucking sociopaths.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I am an only child in a tiny family so no lines to be drawn there. My wife’s Family is a different story. She has lots of step dads, step moms and absolute CUNTS of step-siblings. She could care less about inheritances yet is constantly is dragged into their greedy loserness.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What a sucker. I've got the whole thing figured; I'm going to make my parents inherit my wealth.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

And how much can the old lady really have any way? Maybe 50k? After taxes and fees, they’ll see 10-15k each. Not at all worth ruining relationships over.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s up to your grandma if she actually wants to leave something for her family, it's her decision alone. Special care facilities can be 10k + a month, if the loved one doesn’t have some monster estate that can suck inheritances dry mighty fast.

Friend wise I have a friend who is the cheapskate that’ll disappear when it’s his turn to pick up a round of shots or leave chump change tips after having a server go over his receipt with him. He married into the tribe and his wife is a huge enabler of it now. Another thing that irks me is that he'll do you a favor with a specific repayment of the favor already in mind but not tell you until he springs it on you in the moment. He'll call me up and offer to drive us to a basketball game, when we get there the moment we walk in the venue he'll bust out "So I drove, get me the first round of drinks." Something that wouldn't bother me if he'd had asked during the initial call. It's feels like he's taking advantage of the nature of a favor, off putting that he already has designs on repayment of a favor.

15. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And yet families fight over even less.

My mother I think asked me if there was anything I wanted when her and Dad were gone. I said, "Yeah, I'd want my parents to be still alive." I think I'm getting the dinner table.

I refuse to fight over money. It just isn't worth it.

Focus: My younger brother is a notorious cheapskate. Not "scrape ketchup back into bottle" but he hates to pay full price for anything. We were at a flea market and there was this elderly couple selling geode rocks for a buck apiece. He wanted some for his kids, so he offered them 50 cents per rock. I spent the day teasing him about the old people now having to eat cat food that night because they couldn't afford anything else thanks to him.

16. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wait, so is freezing bread not a thing most people do? Milk sure, it gets grainy and gross after it's been frozen. But bread, everyone I know freezes it sometimes. You buy 3 or 4 loaves, leave one out, and throw the others in the freezer so they don't go stale. It's not out of cheapness, just practicality.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We still have frozen bread my grandma froze 20 years ago, she’s been dead 10. Cleaning out the house there were mounds of TV dinner trays and country crock containers. There definitely was a hardcore spend thrift frugal nature to the greatest generation and a lot of their boomer children took it on. It still amazes me my aunt will wash and reuse ziplock bags. A vestige of days past. She’s not cheap but insanely frugal for some who had no kids and worked as an electrical engineer making mid six figures her whole career.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Recently we cleaned out my wife’s grandmother’s fridge. It was straight out of “The Naked Gun”. I think I saw an original print box of Velveeta in there.

19. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do. When I get groceries, I pick up 3 or 4 and do like you said. We live in the country. Who the hell wants to drive 20 minutes for a loaf of bread?

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Where does everyone stand on the BYOB thing? On my side of the family as well as my mother and father-in-law, our fridges/wine cabinet/bar are unconditionally open and we figure since we drink at each other's houses so often it all evens out. I'm the only one in the family who doesn't drink alcohol anymore, so they've taken to stocking NA beer for me, whereas we still keep at least a case of beer in our fridge just in case (even though my wife just drinks wine and champagne exclusively). Only exception to this rule is obvious if you want something special you gotta bring it yourself, and you can't complain about what the host has if it's free and cold.

My other in-laws are polar opposites. I've seen them come to blows over someone drinking another person's beer without their permission. At family gatherings they bring ice chests labeled with their family name on top in sharpie, and guard it like a pack of hyenas over a fresh kill. They know exactly how many are in there, even if they can't remember how many lonestars they've had themselves. Hate to break it to you Bubba, but no one wants your Bud Ice anyway.