Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Jarron Collins Pulls Off Greatest Prank in Twin History

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nom Chompsky, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

As some of you may have heard, NBA player Jason Collins came out as gay in an issue of Sport Illustrated that just hit the empty spaces where newstands used to be.

<a class="postlink" href="http://deadspin.com/nba-player-jason-collins-says-hes-gay-484399506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://deadspin.com/nba-player-jason-co ... -484399506</a>

Focus: Discuss. What does this mean?

Subfocus: Have you ever had a gay teammate?

Alt-focus: Let's try the whole, "funny without being an asshole thing."

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is a big deal, but I don't think he's big enough of a star, or was a big enough star to bump the news story of Tim Tebow getting released off. The problem is he's a free agent, he played terribly for two of his last teams. And 80% of fans couldn't tell you who he was with a gun to their heads. The issue to this is the first response was "Who the hell is Jason Collins? What teams did he play for? Which brother was that?" He's an "active" player but, he has one foot out the league and the other on a banana peel. I'm hoping this is the first of the reported rumblings of quite a few the athletes coming out this year, in the NBA, NHL, and NFL. Morecowbell summed up how most NBA fans, the ones that knew him, are going to respond. "Dude can be as gay as he pleases, he's still a terrible NBA player. He's literally one of the five or ten worst in the league. But good on him for leading the way."

If he was a decent to good player in the middle of his career make this announcement, it'd cause athletes to examine their homophobic views with more scrutiny. I think this guy is going to a "Good for him" and shrugged off since he's not an impact player in the middle of his career. Worst case scenario, he doesn't get picked up by a team and it becomes a scandal where activists who don't know sports, ignore his terrible numbers and make it about him being gay. Best case scenario is that this triggers bigger athletes to come out that will force people to pay more attention.

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wish it was someone higher profile, but I suppose every pro athlete coming out is a plus at this point. Even a guy who is literally one of the ten worst players in the NBA.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Ive already seen a few articles make this point, that he can just turn around make a case for discrimination against the league if he wanted to. Hopefully thats not his plan and he has more class than that. But if it is his plan, then kudos to him. Thats some Machiavellian maneuvering.

5. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The problem with that is his performance is documented. In most 9-5 cases of an employee being fired their performance and infractions are rarely documented allowing for an easy discrimination case. In this case everyone knows he's a poor basketball player.

On a similar note I could se this as being a last ditch hurrah for him. No one currently wants him, but now that he's gay some nice owner is going to give him another shot so he can have the first gay player on his team.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

But what if he wanted to say that his poor performance was due to discrimination he encountered? And then what if it was true to a degree?

Obviously that would all be very hard to prove either way, but realistically its where it could lead.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I keep forgetting this is a big deal in your country.

Because I just read a statistic saying only 53% of Americans approve of gay marriage. Why her is it again?

8. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe he was on the DOWN LOW, bro. This ain't no game.

Americans still care about this apparently. That 53% is probably off. Polls like that enjoy ringing up rural Alabama as a sample. Straight people can't even get sex education that doesn't involve divine inception, how do you think gay fellas will fare?

#8 CharlesJohnson, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reading the article, I highly doubt he'll pull the card if he doesn't get picked up. His stats aren't even fair to middling. I mean, that argument would work if someone like...Jason Terry tried to pull it after a dismal season.

But I turned on ESPN today during lunch watched for 40 minutes. Tebow, Tebow, Tebow, Howard, Lakers, Tebow, Oh right Baseball, Tebow, Tebow, Historic Announcement about Gay Guy coming out, Tebow, Tebow, Howard, Tebow. (No NHL coverage at all. Hahaha.)

10. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe the fact that he's not an impact player will create more of "Meh" reaction when/if a younger/better player comes out. Just a thought.

Was talking about this on the weekend with friends. I couldn't give less of a fuck if a teammate is gay, and I realize this is a wholly unimportant point regarding the greater issue, but I don't understand how gay guys don't get boners in the locker room. I know being gay doesn't (necessarily) make you a ravenous sex fiend, but being a guy sort of does, and if for some glorious reason I got to shower with the U.S. National Womens' soccer team, my raging smile wouldn't be the only sign I'm enjoying myself.

As an adult I could see having more focus, or just getting used to it, but thinking back to youth hockey...assuming gay boys are as horny as straight boys (and why wouldn't they be?), it seems like it would be equivalent to me showering with 17 year old girls (as a 17 year old myself) WITHOUT getting a boner, and that would be a fate worse than death.

11. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll tell you what: if he plays next year, everyone's going to keep an eye on him when he goes backdoor and takes it to the hole.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought it was assumed Magic Johnson was the first gay athlete to come out? I thought his admission of having the HIV was just coded speak for "had unprotected gay homo butt secks?"

In all seriousness I think his choice of words of "I'm black and I am gay" say a lot more about the situation he faces then the fact that he's a professional athlete. As male dominant as sports is it'll be a lot easier for owners/leagues to institute non discrimination policies than it'll be for the black culture to address the subject. Historically with the strong religious beliefs opposing it as well as, from what I'v seen, their pop culture not embracing it, this seems like a bigger issue to me.

13. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

or when he trundles over to the announcers table and smacks Marv Albert with his giant flaccid penis

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I have such a hard time trying to fathom that there is a means of control over such a thing *cough* religion *cough* but the only people who think they can direct which way Cupid aims his arrow turn out the be the biggest superfreaks of all.

And now that this guy came out, all the hatemongering "family first" fucktards that set such a bad example in your nation are going to start crawling out of their garbage heaps.

15. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess Dennis Rodman wasn't technically the first gay basketball player, but he certainly was the first.... something.

Let's not get too uppity when it's only 66% in Canada. And less than half in at least one province.

16. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Glad to see your suffocating pretentiousness also applies to matters of national perceptions and not just music and pop culture.

Any country that has flyover area hicks like Jordan_paul shouldn't look down their nose at polls that include xenophobic places like Alabama and Mississippi. Like Alberta and Saskatchewan are so much more open minded and welcoming of "progressive" topics.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Exactly. I think remember seeing a stat somewhere that 94% of black people who participated in the Prop 8 vote in California voted against it. Thats gotta be the biggest homogeneous voting bloc that no one wants to talk about or bring up (with this matter specifically).

Okay enough from the pedastal, we've got the point. I dont think any religious groups are going to come out about it. What would be the argument? That some no-name guy who probably wont play anymore professional basketball shouldnt play anymore professional basketball? LGBT groups will probably come out and give him a high-five for bravery and that will basically be it.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The reaction is going to be tied exclusively to the quality of the player. ESPN would explode, Bristol and Los Angeles if Tebow (finally) came out the closet. There has to be a large group of people including fans, but mainly players that liked, the guy rooted for that guy, had their careers positively affected by that guy for there to be a real reaction/change of conversation in the locker room. Jason Collins had no such impact.

19. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I know you didn't mean it, but you just implied that Tebow was a quality player.

Fun fact -- Jason Collins has more passing yards for the NY Jet than Tim Tebow does.

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well more people care about Tebow. So does ESPN as 60 minutes of their 120 minutes SC blocks are all about Tebow, and Tebow related conversation. 30% of it is baseball, 15% of it is NBA, 10% of it is other sports, and 5% of it is Jason Collins.