Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

James Franco: Renaissance Man

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob4Broncos, Apr 19, 2011.

1. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm still waiting for someone to say Tim Ferriss.

#21 lhprop1, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Well I wouldn't have described him that way but his lifestyle fits in pretty much exactly the method I was describing above. (The only difference is instead of enjoying each activity for its own sake, he tries to profit off them somehow, e.g. trying to set a world record in salsa dancing.)

3. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know how applicable this is, but I always had an admiration for Paul Newman's diversity of interests and skills. World-class actor, started a food company based on the success of his homemade salad dressing, accomplished racing career. None of those things are related to each other, which particularly impresses me.

4. Suttree

Suttree
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Sorry to resurrect a dying thread, and hope this isn't too off topic:

I like James Franco well enough. He's made me laugh, he works hard studying for or working creatively on a lot of topics that relate to my interests and he takes on a hell of a workload to do it. I think that's commendable. That being said, this last bit of news made me shudder.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/03/james-franco-william-faulkner-acormac-mccarthy/

I really, really hope this is not true. Blood Meridian is right at the top of my list of favorite books (rivaled only by my username)...and As I Lay Dying is not far behind. There is only going to be one opportunity to get this film right and show what a masterpiece it really is. Two big-name successful directors and a few actors have been attached and subsequently abandoned it, claiming that it was "unfilmable." And now it appears the job is going to Franco. I don't know about this. He better not fuck it up.

5. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A man who I wanted to mention but forgot to: Rory Stewart

Perhaps not a full renaissance man, but that's an impressive resume for a guy less than 40.