Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

It's the lakes!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by katokoch, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Chirpy

Chirpy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Aside from embracing my inner hippie and following Phish around to various cities on the East Coast, I'll be anxiously anticipating a glorious vacation in a little hideout called the Finger Lakes in the Adirondacks. We'll all be crashing at my friend's family's house and drinking copious amounts of beer, wine, and gin. There is nothing to do there but enjoy great company, read books, hike, enjoy nature, swim, and play with the jet skis, boats, and floats. I honestly can't wait. That mountain air coupled with my best friends from Boston and London is going to be exactly what I need after a pretty tough year.

I'm also secretly hoping that my man suggests a trip out to Lake Tahoe for the Phish run out there. That's pretty much his Mecca and he hasn't mentioned it yet...that's always a good sign! Fingers crossed!

Ahhh...two weeks here...Heaven:

Attached Files:

2. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The next 90 days for me are the best time of the year.

This weekend going to Catalina Island to spear fish and dive, we are taking wives and girlfriends so nothing hardcore.

May- 10 days fishing and diving down the baja of California, Cedros and San Benitos Island for sure.
    June- a week in the sea of cortez on the Tony Reyes fishing.
    July- a few 3 day trips to kill tuna
    August- (see July)

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm wandering across the United States in my shitty car, starting in LA and ending in Boston by way of Phoenix, Dallas, Austin, New Orleans, Atlanta, Washington and anywhere in between.

4. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be going overseas for the first time to check out the Glastonbury music festival and hang out with some of my best friends (most of which live in England). We have a deal, each year we switch continents for a major festival, last year it was Lollapalooza.

5. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I live in a place where every weekend is a vacation. I'll mix climbing and camping trips with rafting, mountain biking, music festivals and brewery tours.

I'll be taking road trips to Las Vegas and to Albuquerque for a buddy's wedding. Probably down to Austin at some point to party with one of my best friends, whose wife is popping out a kid in October. I have to give him a last hurrah, after all. Poor bastard.

Toying with the idea of trying to do Rainier or the Grand Teton...

6. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This thread is perfectly timed. A buddy and I want to get the hell out of the states for six weeks between June and August, but we really don't know where to go. Give me a suggestion.

Criteria:

1.) Beaches
    2.) Average daily temp. between 75-95* and NO FUCKING RAIN.
    3.) Cheap, we are poor college students after all.
    4.) Beautiful women, locals or fellow tourists, we aren't picky.
    5.) CHEAP
    6.) Beer readily available.

7. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm headed to the OBX in North Carolina in a couple weeks for a friends wedding. One day is set asside for wedding shit, the rest of the day I'll be chilling on the beach.

Beyond that I think I might plan a trip on the bike to the North Shore (NE Minnesota).

8. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Right now I am just waiting on the confirmation of my residence permit for Sweden, so right now I have a rough plan of a trip we will take:

We stop over in Washington DC to visit my dad for a week+ and goof off there on his dime.

Then, Iceland Air has a deal where you can have a several day layover for no additional charge, so we will stop and visit Jägerette's brother who is there for a research position.

Then to Stockholm, where we will get our apartment, get settled in, and then hit the continent at a less peak time. I have hawked so much of my crap on ebay, we can take an extended trip, and if silver hits 55/oz I will do a pretty big cash out.

We are going to:

Fly to Berlin, and hit my old stomping grounds.
    Then head to Prague, and a couple of day trips outside of the city.
    Then Austria. Innsbruck or Vienna. I think Vienna may be a bit boring, but there is the possibility of a quick trip to Bratislava.
    After that, Munich, which I sadly missed when living over there.
    Munich to Cologne, which has some interesting stuff I have heard.
    Cologne to Brussels and a small town near there, and then to Amsterdam to fly out.

All in all, pretty busy so hopefully the lady can keep up with me. I can be a pain to travel with as I never have a set plan, and love to just wander.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This year my wife, daughter and I will be going up to our friend's cottage for a week up in Sauble Beach, which is one of the Lake Huron Party Trinity towns in the summer (Grand Bend and Wasaga Beach being the others) and it's always competing with neighbouring Wasaga with whic is the nicest beach in North America. It will be a Tom Hanks in the 'burbs vacation: sitting around, enjoying the sun and water and "drinking a couple hundred beers". No doubt there will be barbecue, Bocce and Newfie Horshoes (aka Washer Toss) abound. Hopefully, the neighbours won't be murderous Europeans. Rumsfield can stay, though. You also get beautiful sunsets on our side of Lake Huron.

[​IMG]

The best reason to like Sauble, however, is this white trash death trap:

[​IMG]

...it LOOKS like a roller coaster, but what happens is the rider walks up the stairs and boards a sled with rollers (no straps or bars) that then careens down the tracks like a bat out of hell. I'm amazed nobody has been thrown off of it, given the drunks on long weekends. I go on it every visit.

10. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We usually go to my parents' gorgeous summer house in the NC Smoky Mountains and this year will be no different. When we were living in Florida, however, the milder climate and those beautiful peaks were much appreciated. Now we live in the mountains (in VA) so it's not quite the sight to behold that it used to be but still. Just to hang out with the folks is the key - I don't care if they lived in a porta-potty in the hick-filled woods of WVA, frankly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll probably be taking two trips this summer. The first one is with my family. My parents rented a beach house is South Carolina, and I planning on sitting in the sun drinking beer almost the whole time. Sleep in, breakfast, beach and beer, afternoon nap... It's a good way to spend a week.

My other trip is going to be on the west coast. A buddy and I are going to fly into Reno and spend a week camping, climbing and hiking around Lake Tahoe. It'll also be nice to catch up with the friends I made when I lived out there. After that we're going to drive over to San Francisco and check out northern California for a week. Not really sure what all we'll do, but it should be a good time. I really can't wait to get back to Tahoe, it's one of my favorite places in the world. I highly recommend you check it out if you ever get the chance.

12. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I am thisclose to living in Costa Rica for a month or two. I just have to find a subletter and confirm that I will, indeed, be able to keep logging onto the site I work for from another country. (Nerds: I would right? I don't see why I wouldn't be able to.) Then I'm going to just couch surf, stay in hostels, and swim, hike, gawk at weird animals, and horseback ride all day err'day. It is going to be magical.

And if for whatever reason it doesn't work out, I'm probably just going to fall into a deep depression and mope all summer.

And/or visit my friend in North Carolina and meet up with another friend in Montreal.

13. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Emphasis on alcohol. Also, my mom still pays for everything, but I don't get lectured about how much I drink. It's weird, but I accept it.