Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

It's not bulimia, it's the Britney Cleanse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Feb 19, 2010.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Entertainment/Celebrities/Controversial-Celebrity-Health-Advice.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Enter ... dvice.html</a>

I read that at 5 in the morning over coffee and laughed my ass off. One of the most beautiful women on earth takes shots of vinegar to maintain her figure. As a former fat-ass, I have heard tons of insane advice on how to lose weight, gain muscle, etc. For example, one of my friends "dieted" for 10 days on beer, vitamins, water and nothing else.

Focus: What is the stupidest health advice you have ever received?

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Diet soda. On the label, it's healthier. Inside, it's toxic, carbonated evil.

3. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. caveman drew

caveman drew
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I had a buddy who did the "Master Cleanse" they talk about. That stuff is nasty. Every morning he would make a drink of lukewarm water mixed with sea-salts and about 30 minutes later would have the nastiest shits I've ever seen. The only reason I know of this is that he and his wife chronically over share on Facebook. She would comment something like "Only 12 more days of the master cleanse" and he would comment on the post with a link to a picture of his dump that morning. For some reason though, I just can't hide them on the list. Their updates are too entertaining.

And can somebody set me straight? What is the best option for soda then? Diet, Regular? Just take caffeine pills? WTF? "Healthy" eating makes my head hurt. And reading anything in a women's magazine about fitness just makes me angry.

5. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a friend who does the MasterCleanse once/year and he swears by it. He also does some liver detox that involves drinking a cup of olive oil and results in being laid up in the fetal position due to intense internal pain. I should also mention he's from Louisiana and thinks nutria is a highly misunderstood "food."

6. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aspartame is fairly well established to be safe in people. The healthy option for pop is to just not drink any in the first place.

All the dumb medical advice I've heard has come from professors not knowing what they're on about. I will say, though, that any time we're being lectured about homeopathy and herbal preps, the stupid spikes through the roof. When a given product is "more likely to be associated with efficacy" than another, or you have to use retracted, disproven, and re-calculated studies as "evidence", you're making an idiot out of yourself.

Oh, and my mother once told me to drink more milk, or else I'd have osteoporosis by the time I'm 30.

For all of your bad and pseudoscientific needs, <a class="postlink" href="http://www.badscience.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.badscience.net</a>

7. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I gave up soda a couple months ago and without changing any of my other habits I've lost close to 10 pounds. I mostly just drank it out of convenience, so I just went and got myself a nice water bottle that I keep by me at work and fits the purpose fine.

8. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Regarding the vinegar, Eat This Not That (which takes a pretty common sense approach to dieting) mentions vinegar, saying that consuming 2 tablespoons of vinegar with a high carb meal results in lower blood sugar. I have no idea what that means. But, they also said that people who consumed vinegar felt fuller, which means you'll eat less, which will result in weight loss.

I don't believe in the "cleansing" properties, but it is possible vinegar has some other effect. It could be similar to the diet mentioned in Freakonomics. Eating certain foods sends a signal to the primitive part of your brain telling it that there's nothing good around worth eating, which then tells your stomach to stop being hungry.

We tend to be hungrier when there is a lot of flavorful food around because our caveman brain software still wants to gorge in case we can't find food for another week. I think this is the main reason why diet Pepsi doesn't work. Your brain thinks there's tons of good food around all the time, so you get more cravings and end up eating more.

Focus: It's easy to find lots of low fat, low calorie foods, especially as fast food places cater to the health conscious crowd. The hidden killer is sodium, which results in carrying more water weight.

California rolls are pretty bad because they're made from artificial crab meat (various white fish with crab flavor taken from the shells and other unused parts) which is laden with sodium. One ounce of artificial crab meat can have 10% of your daily sodium. And then there's the soy sauce. 1 tablespoon of regular soy sauce has 40% of your daily sodium. 1 tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce still has 20%. Toss in miso soup and your healthy sushi lunch doesn't look so good, especially if you also had the 11 grams of fat from a spicy tuna roll.

There's also an effect called the "Health Halo" in which people consume more calories because they food they're eating is healthy. People who eat at Subway on average consume 350 calories more than people who eat at McDonald's because they feel like they're allowed to eat more.

Subway 6 inch tuna sub (without cheese): 530 calories, 31g fat, 1,010 mg sodium.
    McDonald's quarter pounder (without cheese): 410 calories, 19g fat, 730 mg sodium.

McDonald's chicken selects (5 pc): 660 calories, 40g fat, 1680mg sodium.
    McDonald's chicken McNuggets (10 pc): 460 calories, 29g fat, 1000 mg sodium.

Too many people misunderstand what "good fats" are. They seem to think that the more of them you eat, the healthier you get, but of course common sense tells us that at some point fat is just fat. Good fats are only good if consumed in moderation. Eat too much and it's still bad. Good luck explaining that your fat roll is mostly from avocado, so it's not at all repulsive.

The last thing I find completely messed up with dieting are whey protein powders. First of all, Muscle Milk for me conjures up an image of a bicep flexing and squeezing out drops of milk from the muscle tissue. Most people trying to build muscle already consume enough protein in their every day foods; they just don't exercise enough. Two scoops of muscle milk in water is another 350 calories in your diet. Everyone I've seen who uses this stuff has a layer of fat over any muscle they might have. It might make sense for people who are serious body buildings, but not for your average guy trying to get into better shape. Putting premium gas into a Ford Focus won't turn it into a Mustang (which also doesn't need premium gas).

9. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Paging Dr. Rob. Dr. Rob, please come to the white courtesy phone.

There has to be an interesting post in there for him. Something about placebos, I think.

10. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Too true. For Lent (even though I'm not Catholic) I've gone off alcohol and soda. I've been drinking Minute Maid pomegranate tea, which has only 40 calories per 8oz, less than half of the amount in Coke.

11. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I gave it up over the summer when I was disgusted by watching my brother drink a 6 pack of coke a day. His response was that I was just drinking beer each time he drank a soda (starting at 10 am) plus more. I think that is why I have not had the desired weight loss.

12. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Craziest health advice? That would have to be to "Put the Lime in the Coconut."
    Rumor has it the other two suits are John Lennon and Ringo Starr

Focus: There is a book called Cures from the Miracle Doctors. You can download free http://www.jonbarron.org/book/book-sign-up.php there.

I tend to agree with with many of his ideas about basic health and supplementation, but I'll be damned if I ever spend hundreds of dollars on a man made ozone machine so I can connect it to myself via a plastic tube and blow manufactured ozone up my ass.
    See rectal insufflation here:http://www.falconblanco.com/health/ozone/rectal.htm

Or eat products that are enhanced or charged with scalar energy for optimizing my aura.

Fuck all that. My hubris is just fine like it is.

#12 Nitwit, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Regarding soda pop, really what ever they use to sweeten Coke Zero is good enough for me, it taste close enough to regular coke and the after taste is no where near as bad as Diet.

Focus: A girl I was friends with in college regularly went on a "fruit diet" where she ate ate nothing but a couple of apples a day for a week then could eat what ever she wanted for a few days and then back to fruit. She never got any thinner.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

My daddy is so smart. Here's what he has to say about losing weight:
    "Eat less, exercise more."

And when I was lifting weights 5 times a week?
    "All you need is the strength to push yourself away from the table."

Thanks dad.

15. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did this in high school. Everyone at my lunch table was talking about how "wonderful" a two-week fruit diet was for you and I swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Well, actually I swallowed about $300 worth of delicious grapes. Do you know what happens when you eat nothing but a shitload of grapes for 1 week? Painful diarrhea that doesn't ever stop. My Mom couldn't stop laughing when I finally admitted the reason I was so sick--she said that particular diet floated around her high school lunch table 30 years ago, and it was bullshit back then too.

Focus: Stupidest health advice? Being told, repeatedly, that girls shouldn't lift weights because it will make them bulk up. The only way for girls to get muscle "defintion" is through massive amounts of cardio. I've heard this everywhere, so I have no idea where I heard it first--but a LOT of women are led to believe that this is true, and it is complete crap.

16. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Need I say more? Ok, I know it's not a diet but it's along the same line. People think, "HOLY SHIT! If I do these videos for 8 minutes a day, I'll have rock hard abs and a concrete ass!" No, you wont. If you ever want to get abs like "The Situation", it doesn't matter how many crunches or leg raises you do, it all comes down to diet (and cardio).

17. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You need to do four things to get abs like "The Situation":

1. G.T.L. - Gym, Tan, Laundry.
    2. Muscle milk.
    3. ???
    4. Profit (from great abs).

18. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I remember my mom doing the "Weigh Down Diet" when I was younger.
    [​IMG]
    The weird thing was it actually worked.

19. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I find that the less junk food and/or soda you eat, the less often you crave it. I currently eat an unhealthy treat (usually a frozen yogurt or cup of ice cream) once a week, and cook most of my meals. I find that when I eat a single cookie or a few chips, it is EXTREMELY difficult to stop there, and I crave them for days. You really do feel better and save money when you stop eating fast food and other over-processed shit.

20. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My mom regularly starts on new weird diets, for quite a while she was using a maple syrup cleansing diet. Now her current diet is drinking low carb beer, nasty.