Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MooseKnuckle, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is has a one minute before and after option which I do, which is why I thought they might be doing it intentionally and asked here. Not into Archer but yeah recording it seems to be my only choice. So much damn shit to keep track of damnit!

2. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Last night's episode was okay. I like how the gang actually tried to do a selfless act for once. They weren't going to benefit in any way from hosting a good pageant. And they failed miserably.

Overall though it just seemed like this episode didn't have very many jokes.

3. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

What?? I disagree. I thought the jokes in this episode were classic Always Sunny jokes from their prime. The funeral makeup was perfect, the upgraded Yankee Doodle Dandy was awesome, the stage mom caring more about who won than the pedophile that was just arrested after watching their children perform was great, Frank asking if he looked suspicious with his busted face was hilarious...even the whole setup was spot on. I also liked how they toned down the outrageous violence that seemed like it was going to be a theme this season. I laughed more at this episode than I have with a lot of their recent stuff.

4. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have Time Warner (awful company, almost as bad as Comcast) and I can select how many minutes ahead/past I want to record. Usually record 2-3 before and 5 after to be safe.

Disagree with the bolded--they were trying to use it as a stage for their own vanity.

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That, and Frank repeatedly stated how much money it was going to make them, at the beginning.

6. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah but the rest of the gang was pretty enthusiastic about holding the pageant "for America!"

And watching it a second time (sober), every time Frank says "I'm not going to diddle your kids" I lose it.

7. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse

I really need to stop having this thought pattern: "Well, it's 4 in the morning. I should really go to sleep, but maybe I'll watch an episode of something to clear my mind. Oh, It's Always Sunny was on last night. How about I watch that right before I go to sleep?"

God, there has been some disgusting, disgusting things this season.

I am referring, of course, to the dead dog.

8. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If Frank's brother isn't killed off by the end of the episode, it could be a jump the shark moment for the show.

*edit*
    Oh my god, how fucking awesome. DeVito supposed to be 19 and look 12.

*edit*
    They've done the "multiple versions of a story" thing before. But I still love it.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why so fast to throw that label out? I really don't know how that jump the shark moment is determined in the first place. Does the show have to be in serious decline before hand and the situation/scene/plot exemplify the show'd decline or is it THE moment the show went from good to bad*. The season started off a little rocky but the last couple have been funny as hell. Maybe the season isn't at the peak of the shows past hilarity but still entertaining and far from jump the shark shitty.

I thought the episode was great. Shadynasty, Columbia, his brother, all funny. Ending was pretty predictable but the running racism theme was funny as hell.

*Jump the Shark is just a ill defined term, probably could explain both situations. If you really want to see a fall off in quality, an almost complete change tone and story telling/comedy watch the first 8/9 seasons of The Simpsons and 10-on. They started the decline around season 9 and by season 11, the episode where Bart gets a racing horse, the show had completely changed into a shitty show.

10. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Introducing new characters to shows is frequently the turning point where things start going downhill in quality. It's like saying they've run out of ideas for all the current characters so they need to bring new ones in. It would be different if they had talked about Frank's brother previously but I don't remember him ever being mentioned

That said, I thought it was a really good episode. There were a lot of hilarious and tasteful racism jokes.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've always viewed jumping the shark as the point at which the show is no longer redeemable.

A good example would be the way they fucked up Sylar's backstory and powers in season 3 of Heroes. No matter what they did after that, the damage had been done, they no longer took their own story or characters seriously and the thing was fucked for good.

12. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Nah, what really fucked up Heroes was when they discovered the cheerleader's blood could cure anyone of anything, even bring them back from the dead. It made all the suspense go away because anyone could get cured if they got gravely injured or killed. Although fucking up the backstory was another moment in a long list of fuck-ups for that show.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe IF they make him a regular. So far I don't see him being anything but a one off episode sort of thing. Maybe a secondary character on a few episodes before they move on.

14. Hogie

Hogie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I think the decent into the bowels of depravity have only made this show continually better.

15. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The show has not jumped the shark by any means. A good thing about this show is that each episode is pretty independent, not only in plot but also in plot structure and theme humor. Every once in a while, this show has a string of a couple bad episodes, but it's quickly followed up by a few more solid ones.

The Shadynasty episode was great, not a home run but not a flop. This is a good season, although I agree that it is heading in a direction that could lead to some bad episodes (e.g. gratuitous violence, Mac being fat, etc).

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I didn't really dig the ShadyNasty episode... didn't think it was great, but it's not like it stunk. It was just all right.

But Dee Get's Audited? Fucking hilarious, and gives them a free pass on a couple of "meh" episodes.

17. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That episode was... absolutely hilarious. Everyone was just perfect, I laughed the entire time...and interestingly, no Mac for the most part. They've simply traded in his eccentric, delusional identity as the martial artist Swayze badass for a fat fetishistic gluttony, and I guess you can only really go so for with simply that. Although at the end the small dose of it did get a laugh out of me.

18. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

What an awesome episode. Dennis losing his shit on the girls, then totally accepting the fact that Mac had left he and Charlie stranded was fucking perfect. Both Dennis and Dee made me laugh almost every time either one of them were on screen. When he popped into the news broadcast with his chest puffed out, I actually had to take my eyes off that insane rack for a few seconds, I was laughing so hard. Then I got back to it, obviously.

Just a hilarious episode all around.

19. Chirpy

Chirpy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Since I'm actually from the Philadelphia area, I found the past episode pointedly hilarious and thought it only went to prove that IASIP is far from jumping the shark. EVERY storm is "The Storm of the Century" around here, with the recent hurricane (drizzle) being no exception. I have no real comment on the story line as it was one of the most perfectly written episodes I've seen yet and am more impressed with the true subtlety of the writing and acting that really drives the funny in every episode. One such moment was the episode last year when they were trying to figure out who got Dee pregnant. By the third retelling of the story, she was an actual ostrich just standing there making ostrich noises while the boys responded to "her". Absolutely classic.

Last night's episode brought me my second favorite "It's Always Sunny" moment in the form of the way Dennis constantly pronounced "Poconos." He over-accentuated the fucked up Philly accent where they roll their "o"s and it made me burst into laughter every single time. If you can watch it again, listen for it...it really brought to light just how good this show actually is. That kind of attention to detail, when the actors really sell it, well, you just can't gloss over brilliant like that.

20. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse

Is that what that was? I noticed it every single time him or Mac said it and - I apologize for this in advance - it really stuck out for me because it's the same accent Mike has in the Jersey Shore, and I've been wondering what the fuck that is for years. Is he from the Philly area? That has to be one of the weirdest accents in the country. Water is not wudder. My college roommate from the area pronounced "crayons" as "crowns."

Anyway.

Regardless, that made me laugh a lot. I thought this was one of their smarter episodes, and since I always thought one of their strengths was how they handled social commentary, it was nice to see them get back to something like that this season, which I've been finding hilarious just not always so much on the smart side. It was especially impressive because you know they created this whole episode in a really short amount of time.