Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

It tastes better than you think!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dates wrapped in bacon. Then again, anything wrapped in bacon.

Applesauce on toast.

Tuna fish on pizza (learned that from a Swedish friend, naturally).

2. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

This might be tame, but last time I made mashed sweet potatoes I followed a recipe I saw and mashed in some onions that had been caramelized in garlic. It was fantastic, a little bit sweet, savory, and salty all at once.

I'm surprisingly not a huge fan of chicken and waffles, considering how much I like those things separately and how hyped it was the first time I had it. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to mixing flavors though.

Applesauce on waffles too. Or ice cream on waffles. Both of which are made extra delicious if you fry the waffle instead of toasting it or ironing it.

3. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Grilled cheese sandwiches and maple syrup. It's basically a cheesy version of french toast.
    Mac N Cheese with hot sauce.
    Pizza dipped in Bleu Cheese.

When you're 13 and raiding your parents liquor stash and you know nothing about drinking except for what you've seen on t.v., make a note to never mix Mountain Dew with a 25 year old aged Port.

4. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

uni (sea urchin roe) topped raw scallops

My friend owns a sushi bar and he likes to try out new combinations on me, this is eaten just as it is seen dipped in a little soy. It tastes unbelievably good.

[​IMG]

5. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My parents were going through some old recipes, and I noticed a really strange clipping from a newspaper. It was to Dear Abby, or Anne Landers, one of those people, and the question was:

"Do you have any tomato soup cake recipes, other than the chocolate one?"

Yes, there was also a cinnamon tomato soup cake recipe. And yes, it's a cake, and a can of tomato soup added. I'm not brave enough to try it.

But, mustard and grape jelly tastes just like barbecue sauce. There's a lot of meat dishes cinnamon works in. I've also had a really good chocolate, raspberry, and balsamic vinegar cake.

6. JoshP

JoshP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well being hung-over in college leads to some inventions I guess.

Left over pasta
    Parmesan cheese
    2 eggs over easy
    2 pieces of crispy bacon
    Lea and Perrins
    Tortilla

Warm up the pasta, put it on a tortilla topped with the eggs, bacon, and cheese, and then dump Lea & Perrins on it, wrap it up and enjoy.

One thing I always love for breakfast that everyone else thought was weird, especially when I was a kid, has to be Chocolade Hagelslag.

It’s Dutch chocolate sprinkles on top of bread with butter.

7. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

When I was a kid there was a little restaurant near my house that served spaghetti with Texas toast on the side, for whatever reason. I would always order the spaghetti without sauce (plain noodles I guess) and apple sauce on the side, then cover the noodles and toast with the apple sauce. That's the only place I ever did that, and I have no idea what gave me the idea, but I remember it quite fondly.

Also, growing up in West Virginia, I've eaten plenty of game animals, along with some uh, non-game animals. Deer (venison) isn't exactly rare I suppose, but it's one of my favorite meats of all time, and it's super versatile. Great as jerky, steaks, burgers, and solid in chili, if done right. Bear meat is kind of sweet and fairly good fresh, but for some reason I love it after it's been canned. Don't have much of an opinion on squirrel; it's ok I guess. My grandma used to eat the brains whenever we had squirrel, which I guess was a fairly common practice "back in the day." I could never bring myself to try it, although I've been assured it's super. I once had rattlesnake, and after you get over the idea, it follows the old cliche and mostly tastes like chicken: white meat, not a lot of flavor.

9. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I had a milkshake called "Montezuma's Revenge" the other day, which consisted of chocolate ice cream, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Out of this world.

10. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Some of you guys are really going out on a limb here. A fried egg on something savory? GET THE FUCK OUT HERE. Ice cream on a waffle? STOP THE MADNESS. Ranch dressing on a burger? THINK I MIGHT FAINT.

What next, someone is going to put balsamic vinegar on berries?

11. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe in certain places putting a fried egg on stuff is normal, but when I suggest the peanut butter and egg thing people in New England look at me like I just told them to go blow a goat.

12. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just tell them that Mike Greenwell, Tom Brady, and Kevin Youkilis eat them all the time, and boom...Tommy from Quincy will have one on his plate his no time. YOU FACKS CANNAWT PAWSSIBLY UNDAHSTAND HOW GOOD THIS ISSSS.

I'm an elitist, a food nut, and I'm from the south. There was no way a food thread was going to happen without me being a douchebag. Not on my watch.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I think someone was going to say that one time they put gravy on a sandwich or made nachos with Doritos or something.

13. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm assuming you've never been to Connecticut (good move on your part). You will no joke have two people who grew up in the same neighborhood with one a Yankees fan and the other a Sox fan, so the Boston sports thing won't work everywhere here, but point taken when I'm back in the Quincy area where most of my family is unfortunately from.

So are you going to give us any ideas or are you just working the prick angle? Oh and alligator meat is crap, that's right, I said it.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know what the deal is with peanut butter and ball sweat, but my dog fucking loves it.

15. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crunchy or creamy? Details please.

16. awwwSNAP

awwwSNAP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Speaking of peanut butter, put some on a BLT instead of mayonnaise. It's not exactly reinventing the wheel, but my dad and myself are the only people I know of who make them like that and they're fucking excellent.

Peanut butter bacon cheeseburgers are also great, but it's not surprising that's an awesome combination.

17. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Not something that I would consider crazy at all, but pimento cheese in place of any cheese for sandwiches. It is heaven. Recipie for yankees who may not know about it

2 c. (8 oz.) grated sharp Cheddar cheese, softened
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/4 to 1/2 c. mayonnaise
    Dash garlic powder
    4 oz. jar diced pimento, drained
    Combine cheese in large mixing bowl, beat at medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add mayonnaise and garlic powder, mix well. Stir in pimento. Makes about 3 cups.

18. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Alligator meat is hit or miss. Pretty damn good if done right (Florida Cracker style is awful, I prefer wet battered instead of cornmeal, blackened is especially good though) or their ribs. Gator ribs are the SHIT.

Cream cheese and siracha on hot dogs are good too. Always always potato rolls.

Grape jelly/jam and mustard on hot dogs. Grape jelly on sausage biscuits. Any smoked meat really. Grape jelly and string cheese.

It's not that odd anymore, but cheddar cheese on apple pie is really good (or just nuke a slice of the yeller' stuff over it, pretty decent too). Along the same line, throwing really thin slices of apple and ham into a grilled cheese is pretty good too.

Any sandwich that calls for cheese, replace with pimento cheese. It's not crazy, it just makes sense.

My friend made this mutant...something or other...for this past year's Super Bowl party. It was a layer of really thick caramel, bacon salt, then before the caramel cooled she poured crunched up Doritos, Oreos, and pretzels over it, then poured dark chocolate ganache over it all and crumbled bacon bits on top. It was INCREDIBLE.

Goat cheese (plain, not Chevre) and Nutella on vanilla wafers.

Honestly surprised no one here has said the requisite "fries into Frosty". Expected that one in the very first post.

Salty and sweet make the world go round.

Whiskey and pickle juice is pretty good.

19. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We don't do the salty/sweet thing here, so I am horrified by at least half of everything Americans eat. Y'all are sick, sick people.

Anyway, when I was about 16 and hadn't yet developed the manly tastebuds that would allow me to appreciate beer and bourbon, this was my drink of choice.
    Presenting to you, the African Hut 'cocktail'. Equal parts + + .

What's that, you don't think excessively sweet melon liqueur, coffee, and cream go together? My 16 year old self would like to tell you to go fuck yourself, but he's too busy vomiting up curdled cream. However, as I recall, it tasted delicious on the way down.

Attached Files:

20. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#40 kindalas, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015