Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

It tastes better than you think!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Jul 14, 2011.

1. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Today I was watching one of the 42 episodes of Pawn Stars that my DVR recorded while I was gone. In one, Rick buys a big glass liquor-serving bottle that consists of four individual chambers with four little spouts on top, allowing you to basically mix four different liquors in a single pour.

Chumlee got ahold of it and put in Raspberry Schnapps, Vanilla Schnapps, Peach Vodka, and something else. Although that combination sounded like it might actually work to me, apparently it was terrible. However, there are many other unlikely combinations in the world of drinking and food that sound terrible, but actually taste pretty good. There are infinite numbers of really bizarre drinks on the Webtender, but undoubtedly they're actually good. Buffalo and blue cheese sounds terrible to me but it's a great combo. Likewise, my favorite sandwich of all time is a Turkey sandwich with cranberry mayo made by a particular restaurant. Cranberries and mayo? Sounds terrible, tastes awesome.

FOCUS: Share your sounds-awful-tastes-great combination secrets from the world of food and drink.

2. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

My mom makes this delicious curry called Paye (pronounced like pie). It is more or less a pile of bones in a rich sticky gravy meant to be eaten over rice or naan. I grew up with it and loved it all my life. It remains one of my favorite Pakistani dishes. It was only recently that I came to learn that that all those bones....are goat and cow feet.

Here is a recipe I found online for the daring:
    Ingredients:

Goat / Cow Legs – 2
    Onion – 1 big
    Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp
    Mint leaves – 5
    Coriander Leaves – for garnish
    Roasted zeera powder – 1 tsp
    Pepper powder – 2 tsp
    Clove – Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
    Green Chillies – 5 nos
    Tomatoes – 1 medium
    Salt to taste
    Oil – 3 tbsp

Method :

Wash the bones well and keep aside.

Make a paste of Onions, and saute in a pressure cooker. When the paste turns pink, add the ginger garlic paste, chopped green chillies. Fry well.

Then add the mint and coriander leaves, saute for 1 min. Then add the chopped tomato. Add salt. Simmer for 5 mins, so that it becomes soft.

Add all the spice powders and mix well. Finally add the bone pieces and simmer for 5 mins. Add 1 – 2 cups of water and cover the cooker and put it on for 5 -6 whistle.

Allow it to stay that way for atleast 6 hrs.

Note: Chop the chillies if you don’t want it so hot, else slit the chillies. Adjust the pepper and chillies for the spice. I was told that red chilli powder and coriander powder will not be added to the paya. And this is normally made overnight and eaten the next day. If you want to eat the same day, then let it rest at least for 6 -7 hrs.

And a picture:

I swear it is fucking delicious.

Attached Files:

• paya.jpg
      paya.jpg
      File size:
      21.6 KB
      Views:
  3. MadDocker

MadDocker
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Best sandwhich ever. Not sure how I came up with it, probably young and hungover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I put ketchup on French Toast. I know, I know. I was taught to do it as a kid by my dad because that's how he ate his, and I have always found it awesome. I'm not the only one who does it, apparently. Ask the Brits on here.

5. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches!

I live for that shit.

6. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Coke and orange soda. Looks an ominous rust-brown color, tastes great.

7. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I was back in my fraternity days, we made something called Porch Crawlers.

1 case of beer (usually Beast)
    1 handle of vodka (usually Bankers Club)
    6 frozen pink lemonade concentrate cans

Definitely sounds horrible, but taste great. Those damn drinks are the king of hangovers, though.

8. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

My buddy's ex-girlfriend used to eat peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches. Apparently it's a Dutch thing?

I don't eat weird food combinations. I just eat odd delicacies. Chicken feet are delicious. So are thousand-year eggs.

I guess there is one strange combo that I eat. Fresh juicy peaches with salt. So good.

9. Dude

Dude
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Peanut butter and maple syrup on french toast.

10. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Also known as "Pink Panty Pulldown" at many colleges.

My mom always used to put grape jelly on our grilled cheese sandwiches. Friggin delicious. I actually thought this is how everybody did it until I was about 18.

My wife puts pickles on EVERYTHING. The peanut-butter and pickles sandwich that Hooker referenced is actually pretty tasty. Another tasty combo is pickles and almonds.

11. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, have you picked out names for the baby? TJ Hooker(ette)?

Polish duck soup (char-NEEN-ya is the Polish name for it, and that's the phonetic--couldn't spell that one properly if my life depended on it). Anyway, it's made using the blood from the duck. Once most people find this out, I reap the benefits of seconds and thirds. My mother was in her 20s when she finally found out from my grandmother. They told her it was chocolate soup (kinda looks like watery chocolate--or a very loose bowel movement) and she believed it. My oldest daughter really wants to try it and I have my grandmother's recipe, but I'm not having much success finding a fresh-kill poultry market.

Coke and milk. I was drinking that long before Laverne & Shirley. It's a poor man's "eggcream soda." The eggcream is a fountain soda made of syrup (chocolate, vanilla or both), milk and seltzer. What I liked about coke & milk is that the milk cuts down the sweetness of the soda as well as the carbonation so it's not as gassy.

12. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, doesn't that curdle the milk? Eww.

Just remembered that my grandmother always puts ketchup on her pizza and spaghetti. We make fun of her for it pretty consistently. She claims it tastes awesome. I would think it'd be too tangy, but that's just me.

And Scandinavians have a lot to answer for on the ethnic food front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think I've already posted this but:

Fried egg over pasta: heavenly, try it. After some initial doubt I was able to get my GF try it and now she won't eat pasta without fried eggs.

Fried egg, peanut butter and bacon sandwich: Bacon is optional, but a good runny fried egg's yoke will seep into the peanut butter and it tastes fucking delicious.

14. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Lutefisk with butter. It's on focus because ANYTHING with lutefisk sounds revolting, but I happen to like it. Also, my great-grandmother use to feed us Sylta (Swedish Jellied Meatloaf) - I didn't mind eating it before I knew what it was.

15. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Peanut butter and a sweeter barbeque sauce (I use PC Tournament)

16. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A fried egg on top of almost anything is a win-win. Fried egg on a cheeseburger or on top of some enchiladas are both delicious.

Here in Oklahoma we put ranch dressing on damn near everything. Cheeseburgers, french fries, pizza, any and all sandwiches. You name it and if it's savory then chances are I'll be more than happy to eat it with a little ranch on there.

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

+

+

=
    pure awesome.

Attached Files:

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Pay attention yall, this shit will knock your fucking socks off:

Hot Dog Casserole

Ingredients

-1 pack of unfrozen hot dogs
    -1 green pepper
    -1 onion
    -2 cans of tomato paste
    -1 shot glass full of hot sauce
    -Love

Directions

1. Cut the hot dogs into 1/8ths. Down the long way, and across twice on each piece.

2. Cut up the pepper and onion into incy wincy pieces.

3. Put it all in a small casserole dish and pour on the tomato paste and mix it all up. Add hot sauce.

4. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes on 375 F.

Note: Its preferable to have it prepared by a middle aged woman of color. It just tastes better.

19. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My cousin became obsessed with learning about our Lithuanian heritage, so one night, she started cooking up some authentic Lithuanian food. On the menu was kugel (which is shredded potatoes with bacon cooked into a loaf type thing. This both sounds and tastes delicious) and something she called cold beet soup, which sounded disgusting. It turns out looking like Pepto Bismol with chunks of cucumber in it. I was immediately apprehensive, but I have to say it was some of the best summer-time food I have ever had. It's nice and cold, tastes ridiculously fresh, and all the chopped up veggies give it an out of this world consistency. My cousin ended up having to take the serving bowl away from me because I was supposed to bring some to her mother.

20. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The simple thought of raw rhubarb dipped in garlic salt is eliciting a Pavlovian response from me right now.