Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Iran / Iraq

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

How is the Canadian government handling this given how many of their citizens were killed?

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not publicly, at this point, other than Trudeau saying he's going to get to the bottom of it.

Our version of diplomacy does not include knee-jerk reactions via Twitter.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Read an interesting theory... that it very well may have been a technical glitch that caused the crash after all.

Some missile defence systems, like AEGIS, rely on IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) communications with aircraft. If the IFF transponder was not working properly on the flight, it could have been painted as FOE due to the highly charged environment at the time. (They'd just bombed Iraq, and were probably expecting and set up for a US retaliation).

Normally there are a number of electronic and physical gates that have to be passed in order to fire a missile. Computers have to make friend/foe decisions, and keys have to be turned, buttons pushed. In a time of hightened tension, some of those are removed or disabled in order to improve the response times from detection to firing.

So a combination of a bad or inoperable IFF transponder (the aircraft technical glitch) and the missile system settings could very well have triggered the launch before anyone knew what was going on.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I’d believe this before other theories. The Russia’s sold them Soviet-era anti-aircraft and anti-missile tech over 10 years ago and they’ve been parading it around ever since. Who knows how well that shit works, if at all.

The US kills a shithead general with a precision strike, and in return the Iranians kill over 100 between accidentally shooting down an airliner and causing a stampede at said shithead’s funeral.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

For a fat stupid fuck he does an admirable job of lying even more often than Trump himself. I guess Trump has to have a minimum of at least one retard in his cabinet that embarrasses his country beyond recognition every time he opens his mouth at all times.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So... people are blaming Trump for Iran shooting down a plane? That’s some fever-pitch Orange Man Bad.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It gets embarrassing how far people will reach to make the “other side” look bad. Besides: any idiot knows the plane crash was Obama’s fault, because of drones or something.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I don’t even know why I bother following breaking stories on Reddit. There was another thread about how this is the same as Churchill helping to engineer Pearl Harbor.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He's not to blame, no... but he did some questionable actions that led to the situation.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I blame the media, they knew Trump would act irrationally if they pushed the Trump’s Benghazi narrative, which led him to grease the general, that caused Iran to act irrationally, who shot down their own airliner. Stupid moronic media.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe, but Iran has also been conducting strikes against Saudi Arabia. They don't quite have the fire power of the US, but they more than outmatch Iran. There is a good chance this could have happened regardless.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, fucking media... but let's not forget the fact that everyone seems to take it as a given that he'd act irrationally. That part is just A-OK, right?

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The shortcut is to blame Trump for being stupid. People with launch codes aren’t allowed to act irrational. If your country had any balls they’d just sit back and let the Clintons do to Trump what they did to Epstein.

16. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This whole Clinton death squad conspiracy is a bit of joke, isn’t it?

Shouldnt Kenneth Starr be murdered? Lewinsky? Tripp? Flowers? The list goes on.

I like to think that people that push this narrative are just trolling but you never know. Causation doesn’t equal correlation and anyone without an agenda would admit that.

17. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guarantee you could put any high profile individual under the microscope and find a dozen or so suspicious deaths. It’s the 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon logic. Although with the Clinton narrative its completely disingenuous and used solely to muddy the waters. They know better, they just decide to perpetuate the rumors.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The alt-right is widely convinced they also somehow murdered Andrew Breitbart. The big issue with that is the only people on earth who have a problem with him being dead is the alt-right.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I’m still interested in this shooting down a civilian airplane thing because whoopsies mr dumb dumb was at the controls that night.

what the fuck happens from here? How does Canada and the other involved nations respond? Is it acceptable for them that it was an accident in the heat of the moment or do they sanction Iran over this (or worse)?

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It’s not an accident, they were hit with an anti-aircraft missile. An accident would be the landing gear failing or something. This was, at best, negligence and incompetence. It might be semantics, but sometimes semantics are critically important.