Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Internet Disruption / IPV6 Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In case you're not a Geek, you may not realize that today is the start of 24 hours of testing that is going on with the core shit that runs the Internet.

Normally, all those bits and pieces hurtling through the wires and cables use a language/protocol called "IPV4". You've all heard of an IP address, right? Well, that's IPV4 shit, yo, and we're quickly running out of them as the number of connected users/devices continues to grow.

IPV6 is a totally new way of doing things, that will allow us to have way, way, WAY more IP addresses.

Today, most large ISPs and companies are switching off IPV4 and firing up their IPV6 shit to see if it works.

It's complicated, and some of it isn't, or won't work.

This means that you may see problems with stuff all over the Net taking a long time to load (as in a minute or two), or not working at all.

You can read a bit about it here: <a class="postlink" href="http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20069841-264/ipv6-day-kicking-the-tires-of-a-next-gen-net-today" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20069 ... -net-today</a>

So, just wanted to give you a TiB PSA about this, in case you hadn't heard it anywhere else.

If you have any questions/comments about IPV6 day, feel free to post here.

2. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Very few large companies that I know of are doing anything serious apart from testing to see if their website works. If you run microsoft server infrastructure, like about 90% of enterprise businesses in the world, the first thing you do when you comission a new server - is turn off IPV6 everywhere. The Microsoft implementation is so fucking broken and buggy that it's just like trying to iceskate up hill.

IPV6 implementation for mobile devices will be a big deal, because it just works for the most part. But I think IPv4 will remain the norm for internal networking and corporate enterprise for a long ass time.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I agree... besides, most big-ass companies have dedicated IPV4 blocks assigned to them, and take full use of private addresses internally.

But in other news, I find it fucking hilarious that someone at Sprint has a sense of humour:

Code:
      PING sprint.net: 56 data bytes
      64 bytes from www.sprint.net (2600::): icmp_seq=0. time=156. ms
      64 bytes from www.sprint.net (2600::): icmp_seq=1. time=151. ms
      64 bytes from www.sprint.net (2600::): icmp_seq=2. time=153. ms
      64 bytes from www.sprint.net (2600::): icmp_seq=3. time=151. ms
      64 bytes from www.sprint.net (2600::): icmp_seq=4. time=151. ms

----sprint.net PING Statistics----
      5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
      round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max/stddev = 151./152./156./2.5
    Their IPV6 assignment is "2600::"

For those of you who aren't familiar: 2600 is a rather special number when it comes to the telco industry. (The first two stories are what I'm talking about).

4. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Are they actually turning off IPv4? I had the impression that they were just turning on v6 to see if it works. I had the impression that turning off v4 would be...bad.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's not like there's any kind of official, global test plan or anything, it's more of a volunteer, opt-in "test your shit" day.

Most of the testing, from my understanding anyway, involves them spinning up IPV6 services, and then resolving to those.

Doesn't necessarily mean they're killing off IPV4, but if they're not resolving IPV4, or returning IPV6, it's kind of the same thing.

From what I can tell, the delays I'm seeing on a bunch of sites are due to the fact that they're not resolving IPV6 values, and then falling back to IPV4 after the timeout.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If anyone around here is actually involved with any IPV6 testing, please feel free to chime in, or shed some light on it.

I'm not a hard-core network guy by any stretch of the imagination, and know just enough to be dangerous.

Some clarification and explanation would be most welcome.

7. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'm all over this shit. I'll take it to PM since I don't want to make everybody feel stupid.....

P.S. How do you get the ` off of your e? It's not for me, it's for a friend.

8. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This one time, my internet stopped working, but then I pressed "reset" on my router and then it started working again.

9. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

There was a crazy Cisco guy on the rmmb. Not sure if he made the migration. No chance of killing ipv4 in foreseeable future. Ipv6 might gain market share, maybe even market dominance, but at least ten years of ipv4 being in common usage ahead.

10. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What happened to IPV5?

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It fizzled out and went away. It was a experimental protocol called ST (Internet Streaming Protocol) that was supposed to be used for video and other kinds of streaming. It gained a little traction with big tech firms but eventually the research was abandon at some point for further IPV4 development.

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not involved with this particular day of testing but I've done some IPv6 testing in the past. Actually did some pretty interesting load testing on routers and switches for Cisco to determine what the switch to v6 was going to do to their performance.

Nobody is turning off their IPv4 stacks today. The two protocols are set to exist side-by-side, with v6 taking priority. Consequently, if two v6 capable hosts try to communicate, it will be over v6 - which is why this test day actually works. Nobody has to set anything, if you're running Vista/W7/OS X/some flavors of linux, you automatically are enrolled in the testing. There are fallbacks to IPv4 for those whose systems don't support it.

Since the infrastructure between any given machine and the server you're trying to connect to isn't IPv6, just about all of you are running on a tunneling mechanism unless you're sitting at one of the testing sites' campuses. Not only that, but since most of you are running on non-IPv6 home routers, you don't even have an IPv6 address.

The best possible outcome of this day would be that a lot of these large organizations take the findings, fix what they can, and in the near future enable their sites to be dual-stack capable (which is what they are today during the testing). That'd at least be a friggin' step.

Those OS X people among you might have occasional problems today. Last I knew, the OS X implementation of V6 sucked ass. It had trouble distinguishing when it had to create a tunnel, and when it could just make a native v6 connection.

P.S. Noland, IPv5 was a failed streaming protocol from a couple decades ago. Never got adopted.

13. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could this have anything to do with why my cell service is cutting in and out? Usually it's rock solid, and now it's all over the damn place.

14. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's just a fancy way of saying the Internet is going from hamsters to guinea pigs, right?

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unlikely. AFAIK, no infrastructure providers are running this test today. This is strictly content providers that are making their content available over IPv6.

16. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could you forward me some of the PMs as well? Or even just post it in the open, this is really interesting.

17. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

18. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On some level I thought so.

19. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Depending on which OS you use, on Windowz, hit Shift+Ctrl or Shift+Alt.

If you're a mac user, you can just rub stinky cheese on your keyboard until the oils soak into the cracks.

20. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just saw something on the news about an explosion on the sun which is expected to impact some things such as GPS and other things. Probably cells too I would imagine. Although I was too busy gawking at the video of the explosion.