Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Internet Celebrities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PewPewPow, Mar 21, 2011.

1. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This woman, we need a thread about her.

FOCUS: Youtube, and the internet, how have they introduced you to people you wish didn't exist.

ALT FOCUS: Internet celebrities, except for Tucker.

#1 PewPewPow, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Is it Terrible Thread Thursday yet? It might as well be.

I dunno, I think Brandon Hardesty is one of the funniest people alive. But that's just me. So awesome.

3. 3-8-echo

3-8-echo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Anti-Focus:CHI-CITY MAYYYYYN!

#3 3-8-echo, Mar 23, 2011
  4. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Remember Cloud Starchaser from the old board? He really is a big old bag of crazy.

<a class="postlink" href="http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/celebs/article.aspx?cp-documentid=28095707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/celebs/ ... d=28095707</a>

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Interent celebrities are usually what they are: not good enough to make it in the "real world". Take College Humour. Not that funny, but they've had three -count em- THREE network television shows, all collossal failures. Their buddies in Derrick Comedy got their own movie deal without ever having been funny even once. The Whitest Kids Y'Know had one or two funny skits, then get their own multi-million dollar Hollywoood motion picture (Miss March. It sucked). There's a reason they're only famous on the computer. Because they're not good enough for anywhere else.

Of course, I can't go on without this poster child for vasectomy. Can anybody lend me a bucket of water and a frayed extension cord?...

#5 Crown Royal, Mar 23, 2011
  6. thevoice

thevoice
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Where to even begin.

I think Antoine Dodson's story is actually quite compelling, and for the most part I think he's used his internet celebrity for good. Fo reaaalll.

This kid however is a total gomer.

#6 thevoice, Mar 23, 2011
  7. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maddox- bitter, overworked under-appreciated call center rep that happens to be a hilarious writer rants about the world. Becomes widely famous and rich off of his writing, is no longer bitter at the world and subsequently has nothing worth writing about.

The numa numa kid- creates a video of himself in front of the computer that blows up on the internet. Then comes back with a sequel to milk his fame some more, fails horribly.

#7 Frank, Mar 23, 2011
  8. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Yeah, except Donald Glover wrote for the Emmy-winning 30 Rock when he was 24, so maybe they were doing something right?

He's also on a hit network tv show, being courted by major music labels, headlining a country-wide stand-up/music tour and pitching scripts with Tina Fey. Whatever you think about his skills (and trust me, my thoughts on this are long and meandering), he's become about as traditionally successful as any under-30 in Hollywood.

9. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Taking into account that humor is relative, I disagree with you deeply. College humor is occasionally funny. Derrick Comedy are quite humorous, and WKUK are hysterically funny to me.

On the other hand, "fred" makes me want to slip into a warm bath and open a vein. I fear for future generations and hope to God they grow out of this.

Focus:

It's directed by the actress who played Donna on That 70's Show and one of the guys was on a long-running ABC Family show. I'm not sure if they technically count as "internet celebrities" but they do have an online following.

#9 lostalldoubt86, Mar 23, 2011
  10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jon Lojoie

[​IMG]

I think he crossed over pretty well. Ive only seen a handful of The League episodes but I thought he was hilarious on that. Definitely a super funny guy that reached a mass audience on the internet first.

11. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Bo Burnham is another name that comes to mind. He's already had a half-hour comedy central special, and is current script-writing, so his mainstream career seems to be off to a good start.

Of course, he was already talented, which bring us to this fairly obviously maxim: Internet fame + talent = good chance of success. Internet fame - talent = good chance that you're going to try to cash in quickly than be forgotten.

12. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I'm going to throw out Allie Bosh/Hyperbole and a Half. I think her site's hysterical and I'm surprised that even though her posts get, like, 600 comments each that she doesn't have some kind of book or show or whatever it is that happens to internet celebrities when they become actual celebrities. She's been updating very infrequently though, so I like to believe she's actually working on something and just hasn't announced it yet.

If you haven't read her yet, this is the best of her posts. The ones she picked as her greatest hits in the sidebar are spot on. But you should just read the whole thing. There are a couple of pictures that pop into my head all the time and make me giggle. Like this one:

[​IMG]

13. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a similar vein, the Lonely Island guys. They started posting home made videos on the internet and got hired to write and act for SNL. If you haven't seen them yet, their skits are the ones that don't suck.

14. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really hope that useless excuse for a human being, and that fred thing, get hit by a bus, dragged for miles and miles, then the bus flips over crushing their legs underneath so they can't escape, then catches on fire and they burn to death. I will buy everyone on this board a sixer of their favorite beer if this whole youtube sensation fad ends tomorrow.

The only internet videos I watch are about cars, planes, helicopters, and new technology. Shoot me in the face if anyone ever catches me watching these kids' videos.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Ladies, hold on to your vajay-jays:
    [​IMG]

...Sadly for me, I wasn't around for the dick snot pictured above, John Fitzgerald Page. Esquire. I do the RMMB's relentless shelling of him in a call-out eventually landed him a guest spot on Dr. Phil because as "The WOrst Perso In The World".

Wow. All we ever got was this:
    [​IMG]
    ...although he DID have his own clothing line. Shall we say "In The Industry"? Hmmmmm?

16. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

#16 Durej, Mar 25, 2011